cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Froyo is Out so......

Highlighted
Journeyman

Froyo is Out so......

One of my coworkers just came from the Sprint store with a new Samsung Epic and it has Froyo on it.  When do the rest of us get the upgrade?????

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Wizard

VINMAN18,

There are bug fixes in the Froyo release, so I can understand why you're anxious to receive it, however, I cannot tell from your post what problems you're experiencing.  Be assured we are working as fast as possible to get the release out the door.  If there's anything I can do for you in the interim, please let me know. 

NWEEMS2 is not a Sprint employee and I'd ask you to please refrain from personal attacks on this forum.

Thanks,

Desi

Highlighted
Journeyman

NWEEMS2,

I did not say anything about leaving sprint because of Froyo. While I expect to have a phone that I paid so much money for to be supported for several years to come (getting froyo, gingerbread and so on), that was not my source of my frustration. I said that we as customers should be kept in the loop as in communication should be established. People get frustrated when they are kept in the dark. The Epic was promised a fix for GPS in September. It is December and GPS is still not working correctly and nobody is saying a word about it. I think that a lot of the attention that is placed on leaks would be diminished if there was clear communication on what is going on with the update. You don't have to give a set date because we all know how that goes. But you could say last month we began testing froyo on the epic. This week we have released an rc to testers and next week we will be performing final testing. If all goes well we will have the update released the following week. Just let us know what is going on. And as a mobile giant put some pressure on the manufacturers to get problems fixed in a timely fashion. I love my Epic but hate the you take what you get attitude. So if things don't improve and I am let down than I will gladly make a change. If it is completely Samsungs fault than I will never by a Samsung phone again. If Sprint is at fault than I will find another carrier. Simple as that.

Admin,

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have never flashed a leaked rom. I am stock and waiting for the ota. But I know this last leak was widely thought to be an official release because it was an ota file directly from Google which could be flashed with a stock update. And I also know that those who installed it found many problems with it. I thought that it was probably and test release and was hoping that it was not the planned update and that Sprint was still working on getting the update completed without bugs. It looks like this is the case so I am happy about that. Clear communication would not stop the hardcore testers or those just craving the latest thing. However, it would eliminate a lot of people updating their phones because they think it is an official release and then having a multitude of problems from it. Or it would eliminate the frustration from people like me who see these things happening and am thinking to themselves this better not be the final release because if it is I quit now.

Thank you for your assistance and I hope that things do improve.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Admin,

Can you please answer a couple of questions for me? There is massive rumor that Froyo has been pulled for the Epic and that you are skipping to 2.3. Is Froyo still being worked on and planned for release? Is there at least a target date for the update. By the end of the month by the end of next month any update would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

There's a lot of rumors on the Internet.

Sprint and Samsung remain committed to delivering FroYo (Android 2.2) for the Epic.  We aren't commenting on timelines; when it's ready for release we will be posting about it here.

Thank you,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

@Wengla

So by the response of saying not discussing timelines is sprint no longer going with dshoem's response of ~3 weeks(or by the end of the year.) and customers not getting this by year end?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I seriously hope we get it by the 25th. I left AT&T for this phone. I could've gotten the Capitvate, but felt the Epic suited me better due to the flash camera, front camera, and of course the 4g since it actually works in Houston.

Also, I love the lies Sprint tells me about the "premium data fee". Please stop acting like you guys don't pay Clearwire $5.36 for every Epic and EVO that has the capability of using their network. That's where Sprint truly gets you, they pass that fee on to you AND make some change off of it. I actually know alot about your company, and the recent decision of Sprint board directores to leave Clearwires board is a just a big hint that Wi-max is a mistake, and that you guys will be pursuing LTE (despite what Hesse says, publicly that is). Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention that Clearwire (company that Sprint owns 54% of) is going broke. Sprint leases off that network. What a joke.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just used the "unofficial" update downoaded directly from googles servers and it works just fine on my .5 hardware build epic. Still have some trials to ok it all the way but unless a real problem arises I think I'll keep it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Goes to show what NWEEMS2 knows about 2.2 and what it does. the main thing it does is allow you to save apps to sd card instead of using all of the device memory and slowing the phone down. and the other major thing is flash for viewing videos. so if you dont know what your talking about dont comment please

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know exactly what came on Froyo. I've been using Froyo for a few months now (should have bought an EVO guys or girls). I've also rooted & tried different Roms & Kernels. Like I said, you'll spend a whole five minutes excited about the situation and then realize not much has changed. I don't need you to tell me whats changed, different or new becuase I am already aware. I was just pointing out that 2.2 or 2.1 isn't much to fret over and letting some of you know that to threaten to leave is unreasonible espescially considering the price of plans from ATT to Sprint. Besides there are apps and programs that allow you to move items to the SD prior to 2.2. Remember Flash is not the future, Jobs is right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MG, this is only a Forum where people talk?!

So if someone doesn't say what you wanna hear they need to shut up according to you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

well it looks like you do need someone to tell you since you keep saying theres not that much diffrence between 2.2 and 2.1. ........ the option to move apps to sd card and save on device memory is the best thing. but okay whatever you say. and if you say we should have gotten an evo that must mean you have an evo so im not sure why your even commenting on an epic forum

peace    \/,,

Highlighted
Journeyman

One problem with "Open Source" operating systems like Android is the confusion we're experiencing right now with the FROYO 2.2 debacle.  According to the latest news/opinions as of today (12/16/2010), Sprint has no idea when they'll be able to officially release Froyo to us.

See this article:

Hmm... Firefox won't let me paste a URL here..grrr!

Anwyay, just do a search on NEWS articles (Bing, Google, etc.) using "Epic" and "Froyo" as the two search terms.  Limit the timeframe to news published in the last 24 hours.

-Allen

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat