cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Failures on Epic 4G Froyo

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi all,  Over the last couple of weeks, I am losing GPS signal on every trip.  I have been in numerous areas around the country and have noticed that I I get the imfamous female voice, "GPS Signal Lost" on every outing.  I have the phone mounted in a plastic hilder vertical in the front window of the car so I do not think the GPS vision is being obscured.   Nothing new on the phone and no new apps added since before the problem.

Any ideas before I drag my ancient Tom Tom back out?

Thanks

Bob

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Depending where you are located, It could have something to do with.. Follow this link and you can read for yourself.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/66975?start=0&tstart=0

Wizard

What GPS program are you using?

There are Sprint Navigation, Navigation, Latitude, and Places all already installed on the phone.

I use the Sprint Navigation.  The other three are weird and have never seen before, but no way to remove them.  My phone and Sprint tells me what to do with my phone.

Wizard

Actually, I just looked into Sprint Navigation and an update was prompted.  It lead me to a webpage (not to the Market) with the announcement of a name change to TeleNav GPS Navigator with the promise of enhanced experience. 

My guess, Sprint merged/partnered with TeleNav. :-O

Journeyman

I typically use Google Search which I assume locks into the phones GPS without affecting it.

I downloaded the TeleNav and will give it a try.  I will also back track using the Google to see if the bug still shows up.   Maybe the new upload added some of TeleNav's GPS algorythms.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Wizard

I thought Sprint was already using TeleNav for their navigation services, so they just renamed the app, but I could be wrong.  I don't use GPS navigation much, so I'm not sure exactly what benefits this recent upgrade provides.  A slight drawback I did see though is an increased app size -- I think it nearly doubled, taking up significantly more on-phone memory than before.

Apart from a poor GPS signal for whatever reason, I'm not sure why you'd lose your connection every trip.  I've noticed that GPS just plain doesn't work for me sometimes, as in it won't turn on, and this can happen minutes after successfully using an app with GPS.  I have to reboot the phone to get the GPS back, but would like a better fix.  You might try using an app such as GPS Status & Toolbox to tweak things a bit -- part of the description says "Keep your GPS fast: reset it or download A-GPS data regularly for faster fixes."  I'm not sure that would solve your problem, but it might be worth a try; some data might be old enough that it's causing issues finding the satellites.  I hope this is of some help to you.

Journeyman

Thanks for this input.

The new TeleVav does seem to be working better.  I have a longer trip today in a more remote area, so I will see how it does.

I actually suspect that it is an interference issue with cell towers or something.  It seems to have no pattern that I can detect.  I have read a bunch of stuff on Gizmodo regarding GPS issues with the Epic as well as the cell tower interference.

I did shut off my wifi, so I munged the scientific process a bit.  I am going to plot me return today using the Google and the out using TeleNav.

I do like some of the features of the TeleNav and it seems faster than the old Sprint Nav.  I suspect they loaded some maps onto the phone rather than calling them up online.

We will see.

Bob

Journeyman

This is a known software bug in the Sprint Epic phones that have the Gingerbread update.  There is clearly a thread deadlock or memory leak that is killing the GPS service after just a few minutes use.

See this other thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/80615?start=30&tstart=0

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat