cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

After upgrading to GB, I am having GPS issues. It will get a fix on the satelites, but after about 5 minutes, Google Navigation says GPS signal lost. This happens with other apps also, like Sprint Navigation and GPS Test. The GPS lock icon is in the notification bar, but no program can access the GPS until I reboot. I see lots of people reporting this problem in other Android forums. Hopefully someone from Sprint will see this and realize there is a problem.

413 REPLIES 413
Highlighted

1.) Download Odin3 (I used v 1.85)

2.) Download and install the Samsung USB drivers

3.) Download the GPSfix.zip

4.) Place the GPSfix.zip on your phone's SD card.

5.) Download CWM (clockwork mod) or ACS Recovery (should be a tar file)

6.) Shut down your phone

7.) With USB cable disconnected, put your phone in download mode. (Hold down the 1 key on the keyboard and turn on the phone.) You should get a image of a little android construction guy with a message to not turn off target.

8.) Plug the phone into your PC with the USB cable and wait for all the drivers to install.

9.) Open Odin - You should see a com port listed under the first box on the left if drivers were installed successfully.

10.) Uncheck all options.

11.) In the PDA section select the CWM or ACS tar you downloaded.

12.) Click on "Start"

13.) You should get messages indicating the operation was successful.

14.) Disconnect USB and remove the battery.

15.) Reinsert the battery and enter recovery mode (hold down vol down + camera + power until you see the recovery screen). (If your phone boots into the OS, you will have to reapply CWM as it will be overwritten during boot of the phone)

16.) Select the option to apply zip file from sd card (not update.zip)

17.) Select the gpsfix.zip file you saved on your sd card an apply it.

18.) Should say it was successful and then you can select the reboot option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apologies if some of the links aren't working. Those are the videos and links I used to fix my phone. Make sure you have samsung usb drivers or samsung KIES. Be sure to use the cable that came with your phone. Also be sure to read comments below video if it still doesn't work. Sometimes windows renames files or the file itself needs to be renamed. For example if you name a file update.zip, windows will rename it update.zip.zip once you've transferred the file sdcard and you won't be able to install it.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for the step by step, I was able to follow it and apply the fix to one of the Epics we have. It stays working I will add it to the second one. FInding the GPS_FIX.zip file was the hardest task.

Now on a related issue, does anyone know how to stop the display from going into Powersave mode, when you are in Telenav?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Superuser file/app installed and working, I have the .tar file from the video installed exactly as shown in video (phone rebooted as it was supposed to) I have the GPS zip file on my SD card, i rebootedmy phone into the maual boot mode, selected install update from SD card, selected the .zip file and it runs until i get a yellow lettered error messae about E:signature... and it doesnt install anything.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After much consideration and reviewing the phone's that Sprint offered to replace the Epic for, the only one that was tempting was the Nexus since it is directly supported by Google and it would take Samsung out of the loop some what (even though the phone is made by Samsung)... But the Epic is a better phone and I love the keyboard. So we stayed with the Epics and I've applied the GPSFIX with the instructions in post 190

190.Dec 14, 2011 7:54 PM (in response to DadsEpic)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Which Clockwork Mod did you use? I used 5.0.2.7 and I used ODIN3 ver 1.85.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the step-by-step helped a lot..

I had not read anywhere to disconnect & remove the battery immediately after the CWM download...

so now it comes up with ACS Recovery v1.0.0.5 CWM4 based in recovery boot up, but....

ANY selection of ANY meny item results in the menu disappearing and the screen only having the ACS logo sitting brightly in the center of the screen and nothing happens....i can scroll to install zip from SD card and it just sits there, power off, same result...

i basically have a brick with an ACS logo on the screen.. remove battery & repower... all same result

Highlighted
Journeyman

phone just bricked ...

power/charge light wont even come on

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds like you're pushing the "home" button....scroll using volume, select using menu=, and use back button to go back.....if you push home that's what happens....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Remove battery..don't panic...highly unlikely you actually bricked it......give it a bit.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whew!! you were correct... I was usingthe Home button like in the Android recovery...

so it still would not load the GPS fix file... had a scripting error...

and now it sits with an icon of a phone and a computer with the connecting link showing a caution sign...

no buttons work, including power down. It will not go into reboot mode... it has a full battery but not sure what its doing if anything

Highlighted

Sounds like your phone is in download mode...which means it is waiting to receive a software update over USB. So either you got there accidentally or something got corrupted and that is now the only option. Try pulling the battery and get back into recovery mode. If that doesn't work you will most likely have to do a complete reflash of the system which as long as your phone gets into download mode and the computer recognizes it will still be possible. You will lose everything on your phone though.

If it comes to that the easiest way to do it is with a tool Samsung released with the first version of Froyo. It will put your phone on Froyo build EB13 and once you boot it will download EC05. And then it should download the update to Gingerbread again. The file you would need to do this is called Epic4G_FroyoUpgrade_EB13_Tool.exe

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat