cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

The problem really lies with Samsung, but Sprint hasn't lifted a finger to help with this issue. As you've said, they claim their only responsibility is offering phone service. I have a friend who is using the Samsung Fascinate on Verizon, and is experiencing the same problem with GPS. Verizon's polices are the same, they only guaranty phone service. Have you tried downloading the GPS Status and Tool Box app? This app has substantially improved the performance of my GPS, making it useable once again.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I have tried downloading the GPS Status and Tool Box app.  Everytime I use it my phone locks up and I have to pull the battery; it doesn't work for me.

thanks...Ed

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I did what was in post #47.  Yes some of the file names have changed, but it all worked.  Nothing short of the GPS fix fixed the phone.  Besides sending your phone to one of us that did the fix, if you're not comfortable doing it, I think you're just stuck.

just spend some time reading from page one. The steps are there.  When I was doing it, I failed the ODIN test twice. Then it picked it up.

I've had the GPS and rooted for about a month now and no real problems. The phone still restarts its self like it did before the fix..thats the only annoying thing, besides the way call logs and missed calls are brought up, but thats for another thread.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

forgot to mention.. Samsung support on Facebook...just ignores the posts about the issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Hello again folks!

I have heard back from our device managers, and they are requesting logs from impacted devices. If you are still experiencing this issue, have not rooted your phone or applied a third party fix, and are comfortable with accessing the SD card via USB mounting and zipping and emailing files, please private message me saying you would like to contribute to this and I will get you further instructions.

A few people have already provided their numbers as examples and I would like to thank them for their contribution, you know whom you are. I have contacted a few of you asking if you would provide that log information.

Thanks!

JPSquared

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Sent you 2 logs today anyone else doing this?

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Like many others who went to local store and was ordered a replacement Epic, I have experienced the same signal lost issue as I had on 12/23 on vacation. Even when trying to power off phone it had a very hard time trying to turn the phone on since that issue. It seems like what others state no matter what replacement phone with the update, gps will eventually fail.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I don't understand this step:

"

15.) Reinsert the battery and enter recovery mode (hold down vol down + camera + power until you see the recovery screen). (If your phone boots into the OS, you will have to reapply CWM as it will be overwritten during boot of the phone)"

I don't have a camera button on my phone.

Also, will these steps work on my Galaxy S2 or are these for some other phone?

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

Does the 18 point proc on pg 13 for the installation of gpsfix.zip work for Nexus S?  If so, is the only change they need to make to the proc  the keystroke combo to enter recovery mode in point 15?

Gingerbread GPS Issues

jimmygr02 wrote:

I don't understand this step:

"

15.) Reinsert the battery and enter recovery mode (hold down vol down + camera + power until you see the recovery screen). (If your phone boots into the OS, you will have to reapply CWM as it will be overwritten during boot of the phone)"

I don't have a camera button on my phone.

Also, will these steps work on my Galaxy S2 or are these for some other phone?

This is the Samsung Epic 4G forum...those steps are for that phone.

This fix fixes the issue with the GPS freezing on the Epic 4G with Gingerbread and nothing else. If your GPS isn't freezing up on your phone and requiring a reboot to fix it, this fix won't help you.

Gingerbread GPS Issues

gme10955 wrote:

The problem really lies with Samsung, but Sprint hasn't lifted a finger to help with this issue. As you've said, they claim their only responsibility is offering phone service. I have a friend who is using the Samsung Fascinate on Verizon, and is experiencing the same problem with GPS. Verizon's polices are the same, they only guaranty phone service. Have you tried downloading the GPS Status and Tool Box app? This app has substantially improved the performance of my GPS, making it useable once again.

It's probably not the same issue with the Fascinate...because the GPS Fix mod talked about here uses the GPS files from the Fascinate to fix the problem on the Epic. My GPS has worked flawlessly since installing it.

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

coasterphotos wrote:

gme10955 wrote:

It's probably not the same issue with the Fascinate...because the GPS Fix mod talked about here uses the GPS files from the Fascinate to fix the problem on the Epic. My GPS has worked flawlessly since installing it.

Same for the Nexus S running Gingerbread?  If the problem lies within Gingerbread, then it should'nt matter if we have an Epic 4G or a Nexus S, or whatever Android phone running Gingerbread, or, at least, whatever Samsung phone running Gingerbread.  The only step Id imagine would change would be  the 15th step re the keystroke combo for restarting in recovery mode as I dont believe there is a camera key.  Would you agree?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat