cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Well David71a, after the delay, frustration and ultimate disappointment in what Sprint delivered us for a Gingerbread update, I'm not at all interested in them sending another update.  We don't know what's in it, we don't know when it will come and we don't know if it will be debugged before they force it on us.  We also don't know if it will mess up the GPS fix that the user community figured out.

By the way - I've been using the GPS heavily since fixing my phone with the patch described above; it's working flawlessly.  It's even better than what we had on Froyo.  I can lock into satellites even inside buildings.  Amazing.  I'm not a real technical person, could anyone explain to me why this wouldn't be the GPS that they put on every phone?

Thanks...Ed

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I sure hope this OTA update doesnt overwrite our fixed and working GPS system!!

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

SamsungSux/Ed- Looks great!  The changes you've made will surely help additional folks looking to apply the fix.  I think we're demonstrating here what the "community" is all about.  Hopefully others will benefit from the combined effort of all those contributing.

For JPSquared- It would be nice if you could update us with how your project is coming along.  As you may have read, there's not a lot of optimism here about Sprint's level of concern or action about this issue for the original Epic 4G.  I appreciate your efforts.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

This is awesome.  Thanks to you and especially FiatLux91 for consolidating this information in an easy to follow format.  My GPS is up and running great now.  Also, a big thanks to those who got the ball rolling on this fix.  Way above my pay grade!

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Thanks for info. Haven't found an official el30 update.zip yet or any for that matter. Will link when I do. Hopefully it is the value pack samsung was offering instead of ICS 4.0......

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

On step 2, for downloading the Samsung USB drivers and installing, do you know if there is a Mac version?

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Alright guys riddle me this one.  Since I got the epic a year and a half ago I've played with rooting and roms, and all that fun stuff.  The last couple months I've been plagued by instability and cruddy service.  I did my reading up on Gingerbread and everything and decided to go back to stock try everything out, see how bad it was and see if it really was that bad if I could lodge enough complaints to get a new phone.  If not I'd use rooted GB to fix everything myself.

So I went back to stock last night, did the OTA update and left it alone.  So far so good.  My GPS worked, my 4g and 3g both were at acceptable speeds for the first time in months, and overall everything seems to be great right now.  I'm really thinking I'll just leave it for the time being and keep testing it but so far I'm not having the issues everyone else is.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

JMILLER474747 wrote:

Alright guys riddle me this one.  Since I got the epic a year and a half ago I've played with rooting and roms, and all that fun stuff.  The last couple months I've been plagued by instability and cruddy service.  I did my reading up on Gingerbread and everything and decided to go back to stock try everything out, see how bad it was and see if it really was that bad if I could lodge enough complaints to get a new phone.  If not I'd use rooted GB to fix everything myself.

So I went back to stock last night, did the OTA update and left it alone.  So far so good.  My GPS worked, my 4g and 3g both were at acceptable speeds for the first time in months, and overall everything seems to be great right now.  I'm really thinking I'll just leave it for the time being and keep testing it but so far I'm not having the issues everyone else is.

So, youre now back to  Sprint oe Gingerbread on an epic 4g, and your gps works properly?  Have you given it a solid test?  Have you run Gpsstatus and been able to lock onto all, or almost all the satellites?  What's your secret?!

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Thanks Flatlux.

Is there a way to do this without connecting the phone to a computer, since mine is recognized anymore. :bangshead

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Ok let me clarify a little bit.  I haven't really run it through the gauntlet as I did it all at work last night.  I used the GPS to get home from work last night and while it is a simple route home it DID work and appear to be locked on to me the entire way.

I have not run GPSstatus, and to be quite honest I'm not sure how.  If someone tells me I'll give it a shot to see, and maybe we can figure out why I'm working fine without performing a fix.

This is exactly what I did:

Start with rooted EC05 Epic on ACS Syndicate ROM.

Odin back to stock EC05.

Download OTA update (confirmed it is EI22)

Install OTA Update let phone restart etc.

Install Facebook, play around upload pics, share pics, etc. seeing how data works.

GPS my way back home

Place on Charger.

That's it.  That's all I did. 

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

BTW I did us Google navigation NOT telenav.

Update.  I'm in my house right now and it is just searching for GPS.  I will try it outside when I leave the house in a bit and see what happens.  It did work last night though.

Update again lol:  I'm still in my house and while it took a minut it just locked on and appears to be dead accurate to where I am.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

let it go, it usually takes about 2 miles for it to fritz on me. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat