cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Gingerbread GPS Issues

gunkldunk wrote:

OK, but how long did you observe them side-by-side there (i.e. your phone and co-worker's phone on GPS at same time)? And were you going somewhere, or just sitting around? If he says he's had no issues - maybe ask him what's the longest trip he's taken while using GPS continuously?

I might have said this before, but I drive back and forth between Saint Louis and Chicago (4 to 5 hours each way) a few times a month usually... With "stock GPS" software (on EI22) sometimes mine would conk out after 5 minutes, and sometimes take 20 minutes or more to conk out; but when it did fail, it would fail spectacularly (requiring complete reboot of phone) and there was not *once* where I could make the whole drive without it failing... it was always just a matter of  "when". But ever since I first applied the "GPS_FIX.zip" I could then turn on the GPS and let a navigation program (either Google or TeleNav) run the whole time, just for giggles, and it would never lose GPS connection and never freeze the phone up, and would still be giving correct locations/directions when I got to my destination (after having been mostly quiet on the turn-by-turn directions for the length of I-55).

Apologies in advance if this just sounds argumentative, but I'm still a bit skeptical of anyone at this point who has stock GPS software on their Epic right now and says that their GPS "seems to work fine". I have to wonder whether they've really "put it through the paces", or have they just casually used it here and there for a few minutes at a time.

BUT - having said all that... even if I'm wrong, and even if some stock phones' GPS "just work", it still seems more like the exception and not the rule (as evidenced by 27 pages in this thread). 

SO - then I still have to wonder how Samsung, etc can still say that they JUST. CAN'T. REPRODUCE. THE. ERROR. It makes me wonder really how hard have they tried? Let me amend my previous idea then: just let ONE employee take an afternoon drive with a whole carload of stock Epic GPS and he/she could harvest plenty of logs. Sheesh.

He uses it regularly at 30-60min at a time. I've been with him on several occasions with my phone and mine usually quits after 5-10 minutes and his will work the entire trip.

As far as some working correctly being the exception rather than the rule...any posts about problems are always going to appear that everyone is having the issue...because most of the time people are only going to post when they are having problems.

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Ahnicka wrote:

Coasterphotos, or Anyone else who can help,

I know this is a Gingerbread GPS thread but I have a Gingerbread app question & don't want to start a new thread. Back when I first installed Gingerbread it rendered all the FAOTD apps I got from the Amazon market unusable. It didn't occur to me to back them up prior to installing GB because I didn't think it would make them unusable. Do you know if there's any way for me to get them working again or are they lost for good? If so, then I guess I'll uninstall them.

Your Amazon account remembers what you've installed (including the FAOTD). As long as your device is signed on with your Amazon account, your apps will be available to install again.You can uninstall them all and reinstall them.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I probably did more to bring this to Sprint and Samsung's attention than anyone here. I did not see any of you posting over and over on Samsungs many Face book pages as they bragged about their phones and Tabs I kept saying why haven't you fixed the Epic yet and got many replys. I sent logs in.. I spent hours talking to Sprint techs. I resent people who say BS my phone can't be working. It does with EL30 update after a hard reset period. Believe it take it to the bank and try it your self. I have been driving for 3 days with different GPS programs and they all work  Google, Telenav and Sygic. I did not run out and hack my phone and screw it up as I expected them to fix it,was told a fix was coming and it did. If your phone is not working now it most likely is your fault. Quit doubting us who say it is now working.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Oh OK, dave said our phones are working now. Der, you sound like a sprint employee.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Easy Dave.   I made posts on their FB page also. I saw my posts DELETED and UNANSWERED.  I even called a few friends that work for Sprint about it.

Some of us cannot sit and wait for Samsung, Google, Sprint or who ever to fix it (aka Drivers). 

My wife did the EL22 and EL30 updates this weekend. I had told her to NOT do the Ginger Bread update yet.  I installed the GPS Test App.  I laid both phones on the table side by side and my was performing better.  Yes this was inside. We have not had a chance to go for a drive yet. I am going to try to do that today.  IF her phone works correctly, then I will not install the GPS fix on it.  My phone, I have the GPS fix on it and I'm happy with the performance.  I might go back to the stock GPS just to get the EL30 but I will probably re apply the GPS fix.

I will report back after I get to toy with the phones for a while.

EpicDAVE wrote:

I probably did more to bring this to Sprint and Samsung's attention than anyone here. I did not see any of you posting over and over on Samsungs many Face book pages as they bragged about their phones and Tabs I kept saying why haven't you fixed the Epic yet and got many replys. I sent logs in.. I spent hours talking to Sprint techs. I resent people who say BS my phone can't be working. It does with EL30 update after a hard reset period. Believe it take it to the bank and try it your self. I have been driving for 3 days with different GPS programs and they all work  Google, Telenav and Sygic. I did not run out and hack my phone and ***** it up as I expected them to fix it,was told a fix was coming and it did. If your phone is not working now it most likely is your fault. Quit doubting us who say it is now working.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

I tried what you said and it didn't work.  I keep getting a message that says, "There was an error while downloading [app name]. Please try again."  I'll just consider them lost, but thank you for responding and trying to help me!

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Ok, I decided to roll back the GPS fix so I could install EL30. I ran through the instructions using the remove_gps_fix.zip file instead of the gps_fix.zip file. Everything worked as expected. I then tried to update to EL30. During the installation, I got the same error message that I received when the gps_fix was installed. After the phone rebooted, I opened GPS test and was locking on 10 satellites so it seemed to me that the remove gps file didn't work. I reread the threads and found the link to the old_gps.zip file. Again, I went through the steps to install that file. When I opened GPS test again, I was only getting 4 locks so I'm pretty confident that this update worked. I then went to Settings>About phone>system updates>update android and now I get the message "Your phone is currently up to date". If I look at the build number on my phone, it says "Gingerbread EI22". Is there a waiting period to re-try the update, or is there a way to force the update again?  Thanks.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Since the E30 update the phone works better.  The GPS will work with the primative Telenav app, but Google Navigation loses the gps after 10-20 minutes, just as it did before the update.

I've been reluctant to do the gps fix, but I don't see to have any choice at this point. 

I wish Sprint had a non-Samsung phone with a slide out physical keyboard.

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

So, after el30 update I decided to unroot so that I could update to el30......unrooted to ec05 then ota to ei22 and then to el30....and applying the gpsfix and/or rooting is the same on el30 as it is on ei22. Its funny because I used the same videos and LINKS I had posted early on in this thread without a single problem. Many people posted that the videos were old and dated or that the links had gone bad and I didn't argue seeing that I wasn't going to go back and check on the links even though everything had worked just fine for me. Now that I've had to go back and do it again I didn't experience a single problem yet again. I did not compare or check to see if there were any improvements for gps on el30, just followed the acs clockworkmod recovery and or root and reapplied the gps_fix.zip file that was already on my card. Sticking to what works......

Journeyman

Gingerbread GPS Issues

So JPsquared is still ummm collecting logs so that he can help us :-)  And Sprint and Samsung are still denying that there is a problem.  And meanwhile this fine community as figured out how to fix these problems.  THAT is the beauty of Android (if not Samsung and Sprint).

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

I had trouble updating to EL30. I never rooted my phone. Tried going back to the original gps files. Still could not update either OTA or manually. I finally, followed qbking77's instructions here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFazLOVXPns to go back to FROYO (EC05) and then let it OTA to EI22 and EL30. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my apps, and some of my contacts which weren't sync'd yet. Oh well. I seemed to be having the problem answering the phone, but it could have been user error. At first, I thought it could have been the issue mentioned about having over 5 reject messages - I only had the 5 original ones - so, I deleted one of them, anyway and then I could answer the phone, however, it didn't seem so at first -- the new interface has you having to swipe the answer call button a little more than the older interface. So, my problem could have been the ID10T error, in that regard.

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

Still no fix from sprint?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat