cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread GPS Issues

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread GPS Issues

As most of us have resolved the issue ourselves, I'm sure this isn't even on Sprint or Samsung's radar any more. 

Ed

Journeyman

SamsungSux wrote:

As most of us have resolved the issue ourselves, I'm sure this isn't even on Sprint or Samsung's radar any more. 

Ed

I haven't resolved the issue myself yet, but it looks like I am going to have to.  JPSquared never responded to my PM's regarding the log files I sent.  Since the EL30 patch, I am still having GPS problems, but they have changed a bit.

Now, instead of going off track intermittently by 10+ miles, it is between 1/4 mile and 2 miles off.  Also, the GPS  used to stop working and show the indicator in the notifcation area as if it is still working, but required a reboot to actually get it working again.  Now, I'll get a statement from Google Maps that "GPS Signal Lost" and "Trying to find GPS signal" (or something like that), then the whole phone will lock up.  I have to then pull the battery to reset.

As a matter of fact, ever since the EL30 patch,  I have to pull the battery  at least 3 times a week, and sometimes the phone just reboots by itself.  Sometimes I have to pull the battery multiple times a day.

My wife and I both got this phone and we really hate them now.  These phones have had GPS problems ever since we bought them 1.5 years ago and Samsung still doesn't seem to get it right or want to fix them.  I can honestly say I will NEVER buy another Samsung product ever.  I will make sure I tell everyone I know how bad Samsung is too. They may have some cool looking products, but if you have any problems, forget about getting them fixed.

Journeyman

I'm not sure what JPSquared's deal is, but I would be cautious about sending him log files.  As far as I know, he didn't follow through with anyone, and has disappeared from this string.  I'm not sure he's a Sprint employee.

I agree with your feelings of Samsung support, and I include Sprint in there too - they have been less than helpful in dealing with phone problems.

Lastly, do the fix!  It's easy, and it makes the GPS work better than it did before or after the upgrade.  I use my GPS on a daily basis and it has performed perfectly since I put in the patch.

Good luck,

Ed

Journeyman

SamsungSux, I'm seeing pretty much identical behavior as PrattEpic. It doesn't look like Spring cares.  I think JP was really a Sprint employee, but I suspect he dropped out because he found himself pushing on a rope.

I think Sprint management actually likes the thought that people will turn in their Epic phones early, they make more money that way. 

Sprint and Samsung really should be ashamed.

He had the Sprint logo under his name so he was definitely an employee. He probably gave up because Samsung seems to deny there is any issue and have denied any GPS issues since the phone was released.

Sprint doesn't make money from selling phones...especially when you qualify for the new customer discounts. Sprint is covering most of the cost of the phone (and in some cases, all of the cost) when you sign a 2 year agreement because they will make thier money back through the service. So I doubt they care if you get a new phone or not, unless it is one that requires a higher level of service. If they made so much money from selling someone a new phone as a lot of people seem to think, do you think they would have dropped the premier program where you could get a new phone every year? They dropped it because they were losing money on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't done the GPS Test app for a while, so I did it on the drive home from work to get an idea of what the signal was like during the commute.  This is driving home on Interstate I-66 just outside of Washington, D.C, so it isn't like I am driving between mountains or something.

Anyway, my Satellites in view varied from 8 to 11, with it mostly being at 9.

My satellites in use varied from 1 to 3, with it mostly being at 2.  Yes 2!  It was even at 1 in use for over a minute.

The SNR ratings were always below 40, and mostly being around 15 to 20 for the satellites in use.

Accuracy ranged between 6 feet and 96feet, with it mostly in the 30's.

Half way through the commute, I cleared the AGPS, but that did not help.  Still the same screwed up GPS issue.

Maybe this weekend I will apply the gps fix as it is blatantly clear that Sprint and Samsung are unable to rectify the GPS problems with the POS Samsung Epic, and unwilling to work on it any further.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat