cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update causing text message problems?

Journeyman

Ever since the new operating system update, I've been having issues with long text messages.  When I attempt to send a message that is long enough to be broken into multiple parts, my recipients are only recieving the last part of the message. Any parts before the last part never arrive. When I restart the phone or resend or forward the message, they continue to only recieve the last part of the message.

Has anyone else been having this sort of problem? If so, has anyone found a solution or do I have to do to the Sprint store and rollback my phone to Froyo?

I've also had issues with the GPS like everyone else. It seems that after I have finished using navigation, the GPS appears to be frozen and won't turn off even when I disable both types of GPS in the settings. I end of having to reset the phone.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Can you try clearing data on the messaging application ( this may delete your sms text history) and then sending a long sms to see if it properly breaks up the text?  I am asking this because I don't see this as a known issue on the Epic Gingerbread update.  If deleting your sms history is not an option, can you try using another sms application such as gosms or handcent?

The GPS issue is definitely happening to a large amount of customers and I expect there to be an update that corrects this problem shortly...although I have not read anything official about that issue yet.  You can see the number of people with GPS issues after the upgrade here on the forums.

I'm sorry it has been having so many problems after this update.  Hopefully we can have another patch that will fix some of these issues.

-John

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread update causing text message problems?

I don't know what happened with my other display name but it's still me, anyways...

I actually decided to go to the sprint store to get my operating system rolled back to Froyo and they told me it couldn't be done. They recommended that I factory reset my phone and see if that helps with any of the problems I have had (even though the factory reset will still be on the new gingerbread OS). So I did that, I reset my phone to factory and had to reinstall all my apps and stuff. I haven't tried using the GPS yet but I have still had problems with texting, and it's not just long text messages. When I send long texts, my friends are still saying quite often that they are not recieving all the parts of my text message. I have resorted to only writing enough in a text to send one message at a time (so it won't get broken into peices) but my friends are replying to many messages saying they must have missed something I said. It seems that only about half of my text messages are going through, and often when I copy the data from a text that they didn't receive and paste into a new text and send again, they are not recieving those either. These problems are all with texts that have been sent from my phone (i.e. they have stopped displaying the word "sending" on the text and now display the timestamp the text was sent) but apparently never arrive to my friends phones.

I will download one of the texting applications you reccommended and see if that helps...

Journeyman

I downloaded and tried handcent, which is a really cool messaging program, I like it a lot better than the stock android program BUT, it has not resolved my texting problems. Multi-part texts continue to only have the last part arriving on my friends' phones and many single text messages are getting lost and never arriving at their phones as well.

Journeyman

I have been having many issues with the Epic which are not relevant to the thread so will not get into here, including the same texting issues. Texts are not  being received and if they are it is only the second half. I have tried as well to 'break up' my more wordy texts and even when I do that they are not being sent.  Apparently complained enough that Sprint sent me a 'new' phone which I activated 12/10 and it promptly exhibited the same issues as the previous phone except worse. I contacted tech support and was told that in fact this IS A KNOWN PROBLEM with the Epic as well as the  Gingerbread platform and was advised to download go sms  for texting which did not help. Took the phone in to Sprint store and had a factory reset. Worked for about a day and now is back to being as buggy as before. I have reset the phone, taken the battery out, updated all options as far as profiles, PRLs, firmware and nothing is improving the situation. Feel like I got totally hosed by Sprint and Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem.  Ever since the GB update, my recipients only get the 2nd part of long text messages!

Journeyman

Today- Sprint's tech dept suggested it was my airave not the phone/network..got a call from the airave support desk and was advised that its not the airave but rather a 'known problem on the sprint network' and that a possible work around is to put the phone in airplane mode and then take it out of airplane mode and then texts should work. The action of the in and out of airplane mode resets the radio..Unfortunately that was via voicemail so I am not sure if that is what has to be done for every text or not. Called back to tech and they did some factory reset on the airave with the theory that the airave is the culprit.. and texting is still not working.

Supposed to get a call back from tech on Tuesday so will post the results of that phone call, hopefully with some new information.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat