Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

When will the Gingerbread update be available for the samsung epic?

318 REPLIES 318
Highlighted
Wizard

True, anyone can experience delays for any variety of reasons, and if  unforseen circumstances arise, I don't think anyone's going to be  seriously upset about it.  But there are noticeable patterns, and  Samsung track record is not that great.  Have you seen the reports a  while ago (for example, at  http://blogs.computerworld.com/17649/android_upgrades) that talked about  Android manufacturers and upgrades?  It may not be an ideal study, but  according to it Samsung only upgraded ~11% of "eligible Android phones"  to Froyo in 2010 (3rd place, behind HTC in 1st with 50% and Motorola in  2nd with ~15%).  Similarly, Samsung was 3rd place in terms of wait time  for Froyo updates to begin, with a 159 day wait, behind Motorola in 1st  at 54.5 days and HTC in 2nd at 56 days.  This is the kind of thing I'm  talking about.  If HTC and Motorola can push out an upgrade in under 2  months, why does Samsung take over 5 months (and more like 9+ in the  case of the Epic), ~3x longer?  Yes, there are companies that did worse  (Dell, LG, and Sony had no upgrades in this study), but in that case,  Samsung's basically in last place of the manufacturers that did  something, which is not something to be proud of.  Things will probably  work out in some fashion, and as noted, I do expect to get Gingerbread  on my Epic (eventually).  But what I'm starting to think I need is a new  phone; too bad the Premier plan change means I'm not eligible until  next year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very disappointed on the slowness Sprint has about supporting its devices (not just this one).  Gingerbread should have been rolled out by now.  By they time we get it (if we ever do) some newer one will be out.

It makes me want to reconsider my long-time company loyalty I have had with Sprint and jump ship when my contract is up.

Device support IS a big deal and if Sprint can't handle it... well, you complete the sentence.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint told us there would be no update when they announced end of life for the phone would be in Ocrober.  It IS Sprints fault that we have no update.  Samsung has updated many of their phones with gingerbread as has HTC, and almost all of them use the same hardware configurations as the Epic.  It's Sprints bloatware that causes problems and with phones coming out so often that phones become obsolete, they only expend effort and manpower where they believe they don't have customer's wrapped up.  They know I won't leave the unlimited everything plan for another company and could care less if I buy a Samsung or anything for that matter.  The phones don't make them any money except to bring in new customers.  There is no solution other than to buy whatever you could be happy with for the future and hope that they get the updates in the future to apply to all android phones and not one manufacturer at a time.  Once Sprint drops their everything plan, they may as well close the doors and send everyone home.  Their customer service will come back to haunt them at that point and they'll be dead.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go ahead and defend fail. That is exactly my point. My phone isn't that old and they aren't supporting it anymore. Gingerbread has been out for a long time. Back when I had a Sprint Palm phone, then Windows phone it was the same problem. FAIL. Go ahead make excuses. When I spend as much money on a phone x2 and the services x2 I want my stuff to be supported. What is the point of throwing good money out there when there is a history of non-support. Go ahead and defend throwing money away. Nice job.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not to mention current Epics are supposedly shipping with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And to make everyone feel even that much better, my LG Optimus S (Yes, the FREE Android phone) got Gingerbread this morning via OTA update.  My fiance has the Epic and we're still waiting for her update.  Not sure how this happened...

Highlighted
Journeyman

If we are going to get the update I think it will be soon now that the Epic Touch is out. I hope we see it by the end of October. If we do not have it by then I do not think we will ever get it. This is one reason why I am not sure about getting the Epic Touch. I do not want a phone that does not get softwate upgrades in a timely manner.

Highlighted
Wizard

Given all the Epic Gingerbread builds we've read about, including some that leaked, I would be a bit surprised if we didn't get it sooner or later, no matter what the company reps are saying about having no clue.  I think there's enough evidence that it is being worked on, and if they've spent months on it already, I don't think they'd let that go to waste by not releasing the update eventually.  Still, I kind of agree with you.  Software upgrades on the Epic have been as slow as molasses, and it's really irritating.  As good as Samsung's hardware seems to be, they don't seem to be able to keep up with the software.  Like you, I see this as a problem, and I'm not sure I want the Epic Touch either.  I don't know if I can put up with much more of this waiting 3/4 of a year to get a software update.  I'm not eligible for a phone upgrade until later next year anyway though, so I'll see what's out then and consider my options at that time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone has been completely useless since the 2.2 update.  It only gets 1/3 of the original battery life, won't synch with the bluetooth in my car, GPS doesn't work, etc.  I have been bounced around from Sprint store to Sprint store and Customer Service as well.  I took it back to the Sprint store yesterday and they refused to trade it in for another phone.  They told me the Gingerbread update would be released today.  I have a feeling that's just another lie about this piece of garbage phone.  I have been a Sprint customer for 12 years, and if this update doesn't come out today as promised and fix my issues, they are either exchanging me for another phone or saying goodbye to my $120 per month.  I paid $250 for this phone (after rebates) the day it came out, and it has far and away been the worst phone I've ever owned.  I will NEVER buy another Samsung phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You have been lied to. They do not push updates over the weekend.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They'll tell you anything you want to hear so you'll get out of their faces. Typical strategy by people who don't have an answer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was on the phone last night and they told me they were going to push the Gingerbread update on my phone, and that it would take 15 minutes.  Well this moring nothing new.  So I called them again, and they said that there is no update for the epic and I shouldn't have been told that. They are not sure if the epic is ever getting it, I am very disapointed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat