cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Journeyman

So am I to understand that the Epic is obsolete and will no longer be supported? How can they sell us an expensive phone like that and not update it?

Wizard

Well, in the sense that the newer, second generation Galaxy S II is out now or will be soon, the original Galaxy S is obsolete.  And I've heard that Sprint is putting the Epic (an original Galaxy S phone) on its end-of-life list for October.  However, I don't think that means they're completely dropping support for it.  They probably won't sell it anymore, but with so many Epic users, I think they'll need to support it, at least until it's like 2 years old -- the full length of the contract for the early purchasers -- otherwise people will be really angry.  I don't see why a 1-year old phone can't get the latest updates.  Sure, at some point it won't be worth updating the Epic, but that point is not now.  Sprint and Samsung need to support this, at least for another year to fufill the 2-year contracts they make use agree to upon purchase.  The official reps seem to have no clue about the Gingerbread update, which is a little odd considering Samsung's press release that said North American Galaxy S phones would get Gingerbread (I've posted the link before, I don't have it off hand though).  As I noted above, with all the work we've read about developing Gingerbread for the Epic, I do think we will see it eventually.  This 9-10 month delay is ridiculous though, and definitely starting to turn me off of Samsung.

Journeyman

the reason that they don roll  out the update is because they want you to buy the new phones that do have it ... i mean come on why would they give you the new update to your old phone ..it will have the same fetures as the new phones they are trying to sell ... they also want to lock you down on an other contract if you are eligible for and upgrade .. dont hold your breath on this one

Journeyman

Contract time again here for one of our phones.  We were looking at the Galaxy S 2 but not sure if it's not going to be supported for the full 2 years we'll committed too.  We've hit the wall with the Galaxy S we got back in March.  We may have to jump to another manufacturer. Or maybe just go back to a feature phone and eliminate the Andriod "Tax" and get a Amazon Tablet when it comes out since we're usually close to a hotspot anyway.  Decisions..decisions...

Journeyman

Nothing by Samsung gets good software support. Pick an HTC or a Motorola this time. I have had this EPIC since Nov. 2010 and it's been a frustrating experience to say the least. It would be nice if somebody would talk to us customers but sadly that's not the case. I'm going to Root this thing once my warranty is done, and choose a better manufacturer next time around.

Pretty soon we are going to be having APP's that won't run on these phones because of this outdated OS.

So sad that such good hardware should languish with outdated buggy software. And it's obsolete before 1 year has passed! No more Samsung for me....

Journeyman

Yea without the update we can't even use Google+ hangout.  We have been pretty happy with the Samsung hardware over all, but the slow upgades may be a show stopper for us.

Wizard

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

"why would they give you the new update to your old phone"

Samsung said in press release in May that North American Galaxy S phones would get Gingerbread.  We want what we were promised.

Yes, forcing people to buy new phones is one option.  And sooner or later, they will certainly stop making/promoting/selling the original Galaxy S line.  But that doesn't mean they have to drop support for it the second the Galaxy S II comes out.  Not supporting a phone that many people are under contract with and not eligible to upgrade is a pretty bad idea.

Journeyman

All i can say is that the original Epic is my last Samsung product.  Already said no to the 10.5 and got a Xoom, thinking of getting the Motorola next mainly because Google bought Motorola's mobile divison and I suspect part of that is preparing for Amazon, the lasr thing Google will want is for Amazon with their tablet to become the defacto controller of future android os advancement.  due to this I expect to see some proprietary features rollinh out eventually.  Google says "do no evil" not "do not increase profitability." 

With how long it took to get the update for the original Epic I have no expectation that the Touch will be any different, so bye bye Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ juany118 It takes every company a long time to send out updates, but most of the fualt lies with sprint. And regardless of update woes, samsung BY FAR makes the highest quality hardware in the entire industry. No one can match the picture quality of their screens, and they make just about every piece of the phone, down to the processors. They have high quality products, and my epic has never had any problems. The problem with most android phones is the user that doesn't know what they are doing and runs too much at once, or has auto updates for everything they possibly can, and sets them to every 5 minutes. My epic gets over a day of battery life, and has great internet speeds and I'm not rooted. It even turns the ringer off itself when I have class or work, and texts ppl back for me automatically while I'm driving to tell them I can't talk. Leaving samsung won't solve any of your problems. What you really need is to sit down and LEARN something, so you can use it properly. That device in your pocket is probably smarter than you, getting something "better" (which you can't from the joke of a company motorola is), won't improve your experience. Come back here and tell us how bad they are in a few weeks an how you will be going to get a HTC because motorola sucks. Do yourself a favor and go get an iphone, they are made specifically for ignorant people like you who don't want to learn technology and just want it to do something for them "like magic".

Journeyman

I was tempted not to reply to such an insulting and slavishly fanboiish post but here we go.  I do appreciate you editing out the ex[litive you opened with originally though.

First I am tech savy, already have 2.3.4 on my phone BUT I should not have had to do it.  This attitude reminds me of the pretentious bs my friends and I engaged in 20 years ago when we were building our own Linux systems.  20 years later I expect certain things.  If I am buying a product for the amount of money these items cost I expect the product a I purchase to meet certain industry standards.  If every other handset maker can provide updates in a timely manner and provide similar performance I expect the product I bought to do so as well.  It's how the free market works.

Also you are woefully uniformd on how android updates are produced.  Due to the different makers UI's and in some cases proprietary hardware, the handset maker hs to customize the update.  If this was not the case XDA developers would not have sued Samsung  over the Froyo debacle (funny how those people who really learned something, likely more than the both of us, expect such service) and how Samsung had to tweet that they Sprint update was going to be even longer due to the differences between the sprint phone and the rest of the Galaxy S line.

I also don't get your issues with Motorola.  They have certainly upped their game as evidence by the Xoom and with Google buying the mobile division I expect Motorola devices to get some rather "special treatmenta" in terms of the OS and features in the long run.   If Google wishes to remain in "control" of their invention they will have to do this in the long run, especially at the tablet level once Amazon starts rolling out their self branded ones.

It really seems that younare looking at these devices purely from the stand point of the hobbiest/tech geek angle.  You are correct.  In terms of various bench mark testing the playing field is Touch-Photon-Evo 3D, that said if a hand set maker can not be expected to hold to what is arguably the responsibiliy they have to their customer and what is clearly an industry standard, well they fall behind.  Just google all the hits regarding the fact that industry insiders thing that the Froyo debacle is going to hurt the S 2's bottom line.  Perhaps you are young enough and uninterested in business enough to not care, however I out grew the elitist clap trap your response is based on some time ago.

Journeyman

You couldn't be further off. I am in no way a fanboy, I actually am starting to prefer WinMo again, as they are making huge steps back into the game.I am quite the opposite of woefully informed on the update process. I know exactly how the update process works. As you said, "Samsung had to tweet that they Sprint update was going to be even longer due to the differences between the sprint phone and the rest of the Galaxy S line." The delay is partly because of the hardware differences between the epic and the other galaxy s what phones but it is mostly because of all of sprint's software that is added onto the already modded OS. So not only does samsung have to update the software on their end, but sprint has to make sure it is compatible with their stuff also. If you kept up with this whole thing, these updates continually go to sprint, (and are leaked), and sprint denies them because they can't get their software to work well with the functioning update by samsung. (Also lets not assume that sprint isn't sinister like all the other providers. They probably delayed the update so people would buy the new galaxy s 2. This same exact scenario happened with the htc hero, which is not a samsung device, and to me, not a coincidence). Motorola also has not "upped their game" by any standard. I work in this industry and have had hands on experience with the xoom. It is not very well polished, and quite often freezes and glitches. The new samsung tablet however, has none of these problems, and actually has all around better hardware. Although you seem to think I am some elitist kid who doesn't watch business, I can tell you that Google's aquisition of MotoMobile has nothing to do with proprietary features, or even with them wanting to make their own phones. Google would never make anything proprietary and couldn't since they are open source. If they did give thier products special treatement, anyone else could just use implement it also. The only reason for the buy was for the 17,000 patents they stood to gain from Motorola. A majority of these patents protect them from the ever sue happy apple, and thier ludicrous lawsuits. With protection from apple's international sue party, android can continue to keep the majority share of the market. I am not looking at this by benchmarks, because as everyone knows, they don't really translate to real life performance. My major point is, that samsung makes great, quality phones, and motorola doesn't. Basing your decision to change on the speed of updates is silly. Especially if you were into business side like you say, and had heard that google is eliminating provider and manufacturer additions with the new os update. I also see nothing elitist about telling someone that they don't know what they are talking about when they clearly don't. Your decision to switch, (and bad mouth your current phone) is based solely on your bad experience with updates. Go around for a few minutes and read about Motorola woes. I guarantee you will find that your samsung seems better and better as you see what other major problems people are having (related to usage instead of updates). I would also be willing to bet that the samsung devices will outlast the moto devices ten fold, since all of the samsung devices are made with solid metal frames, whereas the majority of the moto phones are entirely plastic. Don't tell me I am a young elitist uninterested in business, when you know nothing of the sort. I suppose I should have assumed that you would retort with ad hominem arguments, considering your original post was based on emotion more than logic.

Edit: Having 2.3.4 on your phone doesn't make you tech savvy, any moron who knows how to read can root their phone and install software that someone else developed, and wrote instructions on how to install it. I was rooted and running gingerbread, overclocked with a custom kernel so I could have my smartass governor and insane battery. I went back to stock so I could prove that I could acheieve the same results without rooting, and that learning the device is all you need to make it work better than you ever thought it could. No one seems to realize that this "OS" is just running on a linux kernel, and is the same as any other computer. People would only expect 4 hours out of their netbook or laptop, but their cellphone is smaller, and is used more intensively and they complain about only getting 8 or 10. They wouldn't expect to get 3d graphics on their netbook, but the phone with about equal power is expected to play games with 3d technology. This is my biggest problem with all the whiners on the internet. They demand more out of their phones than they would out of something more powerful, with a bigger battery. They know it is too much to expect for the full size, so why do they not realize it for the phone? And they can get what they want, but they cant run everything all day like they want to. The wireless connections and GPS can't run all day and the battery last all day, it just doesn't make any sense. You aren't necessarily part of this group, but I don't think anyone has the right to complain about anything, if they haven't fully understood what is going on, and why it is happening. If I bought a jeep, and went online and complained that it couldn't compete in the F1 series, everyone would laugh at me and tell me why it would never work. With phones, people don't seem to understand that they have to be set up to do certain things, and that some things they want can't be acheived by any means as of yet. Bad mouthing good companies, providers, and others, is not acceptable until you know what you are talking about and can base your arguments on fact.

Journeyman

When I was speaking of elitism I was referring to your assumption that I did not know the technology with the "learn something" comment.  I wasn't going to get into all the crap I did with my phone, with over clocking etc. because I did not feel the need to wave an epeen around, though I mentioned building Linux machines for myself back in the day because I know it runs on a Linux kernel.  Also as for your comments on the Xoom, I can honestly say before I got around to tinkering I never had any problems that you describe and I have yet to have any issues since.  I also don't know anyone who has had similar issues either.  Also Moto's 17,000 patents haven't stopped Apple from filing suit against them.  Now of course it is likely similar to why they sued HTC.  HTC had a patent that Apple wanted a license for and they sued as leverage to get licensing rights, it's how the business works, but Apple has been going after (of late) the actual hardware producers not Google because the hardware producers have the stuff they want. 

I also never said Samsung does not make quality products, which you seem to infer.  In addition I did lay SOME of the blame at Sprint, I am sure some of their BS like the themes and the like that they bloat the phones with is part of the issue BUT that didn't excuse that it was late when slated for October, delayed till 2011.  The additional delay can be laid at Sprint's feet sure and I don't doubt that part of this delay is due to the S2 coming out.  It doesn't however abdicate Samsung's joint role.  I can LOVE a companies hardware and think their CS is crap.  CS is part of what an informed consumer uses to make decisions and to say that such concerns are not important because one is savy enough to work around it on their own is basically giving said company a cop out.

I bought the Epic because it was the best product on the market imo.  The problem is that once I chose a product over competitors it is a package deal.  I not only expect quality out of the box, but I also expect quality in terms of the continuing services.  This includes updates.  It also means looking to the future.  Sprint has said they are going to be upping 3g speeds by going EVDO REV B.  Funny thing is that according to them even the Touch is not REV B compliant.  They are saying that the Touch will get better speeds because the phones that are will free up band width.  So I have two concerns.  There are also concerns about the antenna in the phone, some people are reporting a similar issue that plaqued the iphone 4 had when held in particular ways. I have until the earliest Nov. for my next upgrade so I'll wait and watch but from the things I have seen and am seeing I have concerns.   

I do agree with you that people expect far too much from a phone however.  It is a phone, not a tablet and certainly not a laptop.  This creates limits. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat