Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

When will the Gingerbread update be available for the samsung epic?

318 REPLIES 318
Highlighted
Journeyman

I typed a long post and lost it but my point was that all the factors considered, samsung is the best. Their quality is good, we do get updates, (even if a little slow), and the company communicates with us. I think you agreed with me somewhere in this whole thing without realizing it, because I am only trying to say that judging an entire manufacturer based on their updates and moving to another phone for this reason is silly. As a whole, samsung is one of the best mobile phone companies out there. This device is one of the best looking ones on the market, and isnt too big or heavy. I know people with newer devices that don't function any better than mine does. Mine is actually better because the screen quality is unsurpassed, and it functions just as well. The photon doesn't outperform the epic, and it is much uglier and has mostly lesser quality hardware (I'm not talking about just the number on the chip or the amount of ram. The quality of the parts and the way they are programmed to work together is important. There are things besides the processor that really matter). I think my biggest issue with everyone complaining is that I'd rather have a phone that works well and is a version behind, than one that is limited by its quality or has thousands of updates due to constant bugs. When looking at each company as a whole, and weighing their benefits and downfalls, I think samsung is top dog, and motorola won't make you happy. Also, I'm sorry that you feel I was assuming your ignorance in my first post. Many people come on here just to flame sprint and samsung and anyone else they can because they don't have their update yet, and I don't think its right for them to complain about something that they know nothing about. NO ONE knows exactly why the update isn't here yet, and no one knows how much goes into it or what problems this specific model may have with its updates. Samsung is timely with other devices, and I wouldn't be suprised if Sprint keeps telling them it isn't good enough, because sprint has done that to people in the past. I have never had samsung devices in the past, so I am no fanboy. I merely think that they have the most reliable, best products right now. Tomorrow something could come out that proves me otherwise, but for now, they have it in my book, updates or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried to read all these walls of texts but failed (sorry). Read as much as I could though.

It does come off as fanboyism. The phone is great from  a  hardware perspective, the problem is that the software has really let   it down. Updates are slow on SAMSUNG's end (even Sprint employees have   now stated this in either this thread or others), although I'm sure   Sprint isn't helping either. Sprint still hasn't rolled out 4g in Omaha,   and despite what you might hear, Omaha isn't exactly a tiny place. It   was absolutely appalling when they switched on 4g in Council Bluffs of all places, which we refer to as Counciltucky for exactly the   reasons you think of when you hear the name, but not the city that   actually has 4g phones to make use of the network.

But I  digress. Samsung's support for these phones has  been terrible.  Regardless of how well they were manufactured, support  after the fact  is many, many times more important. The keyboard and  battery problems  have existed since an update in January, yet still have  not been  addressed at all. 9 months with critical issues present. HTC  has these  issues fixed sometimes within DAYS, and it's 9 months later  and I still  can't type more than 5 words a minute or I risk skipping  keys? 9  months later and my phone can still randomly plow through 15% of  a  battery in a few minutes just sitting on a home screen with all the   background applications closed, while other times I can spend an hour   actively reading the internet and barely make a dent? 9 months and the   GPS still barely functions?

Other random information: The  phone ships with an FM  tuner, like the HTC Evo. Unfortunately, your  phone cannot make use of  this piece of hardware because it was never  programmed into the 2.2 OS.  2.3 Gingerbread has the FM tuner  functionality, finally, 2 years later.

But you know  what, I don't care if we don't get Gingerbread. I really don't. I didn't  buy this phone for an OS update that wasn't even available when I took  it for a test drive at the store. I bought it for the features it  already has. If Samsung isn't going to release Gingerbread, at least  release more 2.2 updates to fix the critical issues  with this phone. Don't pretend like you can't fix them, either. The  independent developers working with 2.2 have completely eliminated these  problems with their custom ROMs.

So, either fix the issues or give me a piece of paper  that says you won't void my warranty if I root my phone to install the  updates from people who ARE fixing the damn thing, because "ridiculous"  isn't even the right word to use for a phone that's had these issues for  9. Months. I'm serious about the warranty thing, by the way.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You point out my issue.  I'll use a food analogy.  I love going to both Ruth's Chris, Morton's and the Capitol Grille.  Great steaks, good wine lists and great service.  If a resturant opened that had even better steaks but had worse service I wuldn't go back.  If I had a bad service experience that went unaddressed, I would not return to one of the three.  I had a BAD experience with a wench of a waitress at Ruth's Chris one night.  I had a party of 9 for the 30th b-day of my cousin.  She was rude, didn't check on us, got orders mixed up nd when it was pointed out she got more rude, it was ridiculous.  I spoke with the manager about it had the bill comped.  If you know Ruth's Chris prices you know how huge a bill 9 people and a couple bottles of wine will ring up (especially with booze prices in PA.)

this made me go back and I have never had a similarly poor experience since BUT I would never have gone back if the issue was not addressed in the first place.

I have no doubt that NOW Sprint may have something to do with it but essentially a bugged update was pushed.  When it was finally pushed we were getting Froyo when other phones were getting Gingerbread and 10 months later we still don't have Gingerbread or the bugs the Froyo push gave fixed by Samsung.  It doesn't matter to me that I can patch the bug myself.  I could have walked to the bar to get my after dinner MacAllan at Ruth's Chris that night, but just like it was the waitress's job to get my scotch, it's Samsungs's job to get updates to Sprint for distribution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We updated one of our phones to an Epic 4G in August.  We were told at the Sprint store that Gingerbread was going to be released in few weeks.  Now its October and I'm hearing EOL stuff.  Shouldn't we have been told that before we invested in this phone?  Why would someone buy a phone that is going to lose support in 3 months? We didn't even get any special pricing on this other than the standard upgrade price. We also bought $100 in accessories. I might need to address this with my state's product services commission.  I've done that before about other issues and it definitely makes Sprint sit up and notice.  They are required by law to respond to the complaints in a timely manner and provide a written statement as to the resolution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eol means they won't be shipping any more from the factory, it doesn't mean that all support ceases. Once it hits eol, stores won't get any new phones in and they will just sell the last of their inventory and accessories. So when its eol, its just starting to phase out of being sold. You have plenty of time left for support after that. Sprint isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I have friends who are on verizon who get treated literally like breeding pigs. I think sprint does a better job than many of the other networks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since they expect people to keep the phones 2 years of the contract life, they should guarantee continued support for every phone for 2 years from the date the last new phone is sold.  That seems reasonable.... 

(Sorry, I know they'll never do this.  But it's a nice thought....)

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello swhiteh33, it really depends on how you define support. If you mean regular software updates across a 2 year period that may not always be the case. If you are referring to offering help when you experience problems, we do that already.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

The sad thing is I have only had my phone for almost 1 year now (out of my two year contract). Makes me not want to do two year contracts anymore. Phone is obsolete before the 1 year mark. Pretty pathetic. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for many many years... loyalty is NOT appreciated anymore. Keep your customers happy and they stay. Frustrate them and they will look for greener pastures.

I guess Sprint still doesn't get it. I live where their headquarters is and witness their mass layoffs here on a regular basis. If they were succeding that would not be a regular event for them. Keep your customers happy, innovate, lead the market with great packages = WIN.

Gingerbread should be rolled out to the Samsung Epic. Many new apps coming out want the latest OS so they will even run. Not even talking Honycomb.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

In what way do you feel the Samsung Epic 4G is obsolete?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The obsolecence isn't the hardware, it is the fact that there IS an  upgrade OS for it but Sprint won't roll it out for us. We (our Epics)  are history in the eyes of the company who just a year ago sang its  praises so we would buy it. Now Sprint wants us to buy something else,  therefore no effort to support a phone that is only around a year, or  so, old.

Again, it is all about a company providing comprehensive product  support for its customers, which keeps them happy and coming back. If  when I made my costly initial purchase, the Sprint person would have  said "sign this contract for 2 years, but we will stop the upgrades to  the phone in 1 year", do you think we would have bought it. No, they  don't admit to that. We just learn the hard way I suppose.

Just getting Froyo on our Epics was like pulling teeth.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Just because 2.3 has been released does not mean that 2.2 is an indication of obsolescence. Many android phones out there are running 2.2 and lower, likely to not ever get another update from there provider. these phones will continue to work as they have for some time. The Epic being update to 2.2 was not as a result of customer interaction, The Epic is still supported by our tech support personnel, you may call in and expect the same level of support that has always been provided.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024,

In my case, I've had the Epic for a little less than a year and it has had problems with Bluetooth connections and problems with the phone not ringing on occassion until I restart the phone.  The Sprint store here in Manhattan KS initially blamed the problems on the Eclair release promising that the Froyo release would fix the problems.   Some of the initial problems were fixed with Froyo but I continue to have problems with Bluetooth and missed calls which the Sprint store now says will get fixed with Gingerbread.  I was in the store a couple of weeks ago and was told (Nathan) that the Gingerbread release would be out by the end of September which it obviously isn't.  When we bought our Epics, we were told that we would have 4g in Manhattan in the first quarter of the year and that also hasn't happened but we're still getting charged $10 extra a month.

I would agree with your comments about obsolenscence if we had a stable build on the Epic but I don't consider what I have to be stable.  I had a HTC Touch Pro prior to the Epic and never had any problems and expect that when I pay for a high end smart phone that the company stand behind that phone and provide a stable platform that works consistently.

I've been a Sprint customer for many years but will be looking else where when my contract expires.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat