Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Okay, you baited me out. We did receive the internal memo cited in the links. I was hoping someone higher up would do a formal announcement, but I'm sure something will be posted tomorrow.

Just like it says in the memo, it will be a gradual release, with only 11% getting the update in the first 5 days (that timer starts tomorrow). If I find an approved way to manually update it, I'll post it, but most of these updates are strictly OTA these days.

Wizard

Thanks for confirming the memo.  Sounds like some good news, at long last.  The rollout seems slow, and there are two days (the weekend) with no pushes, but maybe going slower is better.  And IIRC, it actually took 7 or 8 days for Froyo to be rolled out the second time.  I did a manual update the first time, which was easy BTW, so it would be nice to see that option again.  But if it's not available, we're only looking at 1 more week to get the update.  We've been waiting months and months already, what's 1 more week?  Hope to see Gingerbread soon! 

Journeyman

Thanks for the "official" confirmation that we're finally getting Gingerbread. I'm a very excited 64 year old .  BTW, I've been a nerd since before many of you were born and have been on the Internet since 1988 when we used it exclusively as a research tool. Now, I'm an Angry Birds addict

Journeyman

It's official, I just saw this on the official sprint blog:

"

Samsung Epic™ 4G will receive the Android™ 2.3, Gingerbread, update through an over-the-air maintenance release starting today."

The direct link with more detail is:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/11/09/a-great-smartpho...

Journeyman

Hi Dronak,

I just installed the update.zip from xda and it went smoothly. I changed my handset back to touchwiz and cleaned the cache files prior to installing. Everything went well and the first thing I checked was the calendar lol... this time around it went smooth.

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05...

1. Copy .zip to root of sd card

2. rename file to update.zip

3. Power off the phone then Hold vol.Down+Camera+Power to enter recovery mode

4. Use volume rocker to select "Install sd update.zip. (Home key selects entry)

So far everything looks good. You seem like the kind of guy who would grab this and make use of it.

😉

Journeyman

Just got the Gingerbread update from Sprint .  No problems so far.  Phone working great..

Wizard

If I find an approved way to manually update it, I'll post it, but most of these updates are strictly OTA these days.

What about the method A1YARBANK posted (thanks, BTW), which I've also seen elsewhere?  The update.zip file is coming off the google.com servers, so it's the official release, correct?  It also looks like the same basic method I used before with the first Froyo rollout, when Samsung offered the update.zip file themselves.  This manual update looks like it will work fine, and apparently has for most people according to posts I've read elsewhere.  However some people got stuck in a boot loop and had to reset and wipe the phone before they could complete the update.  I don't know how prevalent that problem is, but I read that it's happening in both OTA and manual updates, so I'm holding off on the manual update for now.  I may do it at some point over the weekend though, when I'll have more time to recover from a wipe should that be necessary, because reinstalling everything will take hours (I know, I had to do it twice with Froyo).

Journeyman

How does the upgrade appear? Do you have to be connected to 3g/4g to receive it or can you be connected to Wi-Fi?

Journeyman

Did I miss something... or have you all seen this???  It is officially released... well at least for today! 
http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/11/samsung-epic-4g-updated-android-2.3-gingerbread-2day.html

Journeyman

Your welcome,

I have applied the update and it's running good. I would like to note that you should re-start the phone after the update completes. I had some weird GPS behavior that cleared up after re-starting. Also I noticed I had to re-connect to my paired Bluetoth devices. Once re-connected they work normally. So far..so good.. It was just like installing Froyo from the sd card. (Only it has better results so far)

Dronak wrote:

What about the method A1YARBANK posted (thanks, BTW), which I've also seen elsewhere?  The update.zip file is coming off the google.com servers, so it's the official release, correct?  It also looks like the same basic method I used before with the first Froyo rollout, when Samsung offered the update.zip file themselves.  This manual update looks like it will work fine, and apparently has for most people according to posts I've read elsewhere.  However some people got stuck in a boot loop and had to reset and wipe the phone before they could complete the update.  I don't know how prevalent that problem is, but I read that it's happening in both OTA and manual updates, so I'm holding off on the manual update for now.  I may do it at some point over the weekend though, when I'll have more time to recover from a wipe should that be necessary, because reinstalling everything will take hours (I know, I had to do it twice with Froyo).

There is really no difference between the OTA update and the manual update other than you are doing it, well, manually.

For the OTA update, the update file is downloaded to the phone and stored on the SD card. When the file download is complete you are asked if you want to install now. When you agree, the phone reboots into recovery mode and applies the downloaded file...exactly the same thing that happens when you do it manually.

Journeyman

A1YARBANK wrote:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05...

1. Copy .zip to root of sd card

2. rename file to update.zip

3. Hold vol.Down+Camera+Power to enter recovery mode

4. Use volume rocker to select "Install sd update.zip. (Home key selects entry)

Thanks for this - worked like a champ. I got tired of waiting, lol

Step 3 should read -> 3A) Shutdown Phone, 3B) Hold vol. Down+Camera+Power ...

Obvious to some, but not all (and don't ask me how I know that)

This is 2.3.5 - nicer, feels faster

Still missing the ability to delete the Bloatware

I was hoping they added a way to take a screen shot - so far I have not found a way

on my Galaxy Tab, I hold the Back arrow and press the power button - that doesn't work on the Epic - if anyone knows the magic, please let us know

Edit: I also had the same Bluetooth issues mentioned - no devices in my list until I "scanned for devices", then it found all my devices, not just the one that was on.

Message was edited by: jmr357

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat