cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution

sabrinap11 wrote:

I found this thread via Google because the update was pushed to me and now my phone is also stuck in a loop trying to reboot. Of course I didn't google it BEFORE accepting the update to see that I should've backed everything up first. Awesome. Phone is NOT manually modified in any way. This is on Sprint.

Only thing you should lose are your settings, text messages, call logs and downloaded apps and data for the apps. Most of which can't be backed up anyways (without modifications). Your phone doesn't have to be modified to have issues and is a risk that comes with updating. As I've stated before, the problem is most likely caused by an installed app or a setting on the phone that causes the phone to get stuck on reboot after the update.

Journeyman

By no means should you hope for Sprint to help you in anyway.......total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What help do you want them to give? If you call in with the reported problem they will have you do a factory reset on your phone...which fixes the problem. Also keep in mind that Samsung is the one that creates the software updates, not Sprint.

Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

It may be that the update trips up on a particular app or phone setting, but the error lies with Sprint--first for not fully testing the update in the very long time they've had to tweak it before passing it on, and second for not stopping to fix the update once the problem was known.  I was told by support that my phone was hit yesterday because it somehow got an update with a problem that they'd already fixed "long ago" and it must have been a fluke.  Now today people are still being hit.

Sorry you were affected too sabrinap11.  coasterphotos is right that the market's web site is the easiest to use to reinstall your apps after you complete your factory restore.  You can find a list of many of the apps you used in "My Library" and others you'll have to remember and find manually.  On the bright side, it's a "opportunity" to clean out apps you don't use anymore!  😉

Good luck.

Journeyman

coasterphotos wrote:

As I've stated before, the problem is most likely caused by an installed app or a setting on the phone that causes the phone to get stuck on reboot after the update.

or a low battery, weak signal ... and on and on

BuzzW22 wrote:

It may be that the update trips up on a particular app or phone setting, but the error lies with Sprint--first for not fully testing the update in the very long time they've had to tweak it before passing it on, and second for not stopping to fix the update once the problem was known.  I was told by support that my phone was hit yesterday because it somehow got an update with a problem that they'd already fixed "long ago" and it must have been a fluke.  Now today people are still being hit.

The problem is that if it IS an app or a certain setting, there is pretty much no way to test for that without installing every possible app and changing every possible setting and installing the update after each change. I would imagine that would take months if not years. I'm sure there would be a point where if there were enough problems they might pull the update, but seeing as how the issue is fixed with a factory reset, I doubt that will happen. Everyone is getting the same update...EI22. If they fix issues then a new update with a new version would be issued. There aren't different revisions of EI22 going out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know, it seems like a lot of ppl on here are having the issue, but I'm sure you guys are the minority. The amount of people complaining on this forum is much less than the total number of users, and most would not come on just to tell us that everything worked out great. I updated 3 phones perfectly without resetting or losing data. The fourth was modded so it needed to be reset to the original rom before it could be upgraded. But once it was back to stock, it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, this is clearly a bug that will upset those who experience. However, I doubt it i as widespread as you seem to think, or there would be tons of people on here complaining, and there would be news articles about how sprint goofed.

Journeyman

After "Verifying current system..." I got:

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/nascar09-prod-release.apk",  "2f0cd86b3d1a6bca4826ae85c459398224dcf1e9", "4760212718e1cb5c7321609517cbf9644fcff7be")

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

I followed these instructions and downloaded the update because Sprint pushed the update to my phone this morning and it locked.  None of the buttons worked.  I could remove the battery to restart it but it locked again in the same place.  I finally had to do a hard reset to get past the lock on the black "SAMSUNG" startup screen.

Lovely.  The same thing happened the last time Sprint pushed an update.  I had to do a hard reset then and it took two days to get my phone current and working again.  Perhaps when Sprint sends me the bill I will prorate it down two days since that's probably the loss of service I will experience again?

Have you rooted your phone and removed apps?

The error message is saying it can't find the NASCAR app to update.

Journeyman

This means that the nascar app on your phone was not what the update was expecting. It is possible that sprint apps that were updated after the release of the gingerbread update are failing the check because they are not the same apk file that the update is requiring. If you have removed the apk, or modified it in any way, then that is why it failed. But otherwise, it is most likely because you updated the app.

If anyone else is going to update and hasn't yet, try going to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, and click on each of the sprint apps. In each one, click uninstall updates. Try the gingerbread update after that and see if it goes through properly. If this helps let everyone else know so they can avoid the factory reset.

Edit: coaster, it could just be modified also. It doesn't have to be missing to throw that error. If he had themed his phone or installed a custom nascar app from somewhere this could happen also.

Journeyman

I think your correct. I have updated my Epic to Froyo and then to Gingerbread both times without any major update issues. I prepaired for the updates by removing all non important apps. I used Cache Cleaner NG to clear my internet caches and cleared the data in my calendar (This I learned from the Froyo Update). I also noticed that after the Gingerbread update the phone needed to be rebooted to finish cleaning up after the update and to re-initialize the GPS. I noticed that GoWeather couldn't follow my location so I re-started the phone and everything works better than it did with Froyo. I think this issue has to do with stale meta-data for certain apps, Gingerbread may use a different format to store meta-data so if it's left layin there it can cause issues.

So if your still waiting on the update, I recomend that you backup your data then do some clean up prior to loading it and you should be good to go.

Oh and BTW I used the update.zip method both times.

Journeyman

Updated with NO PROBLEMS

Great Job Samsung/Sprint. Thanks

I wasn't aware of the Gingerbread update, haven't looked at the android forums for a while, and so wasn't expecting the update when my phone said that it wanted to install the already downloaded file this morning.  I didn't really think twice about updating, my phone updated to Froyo w/ no issues, and hit the install button, making sure I had good signal strength and good battery strength.

Phone shutdown, it started up to install the package, rebooted on its own, and it started back up with Gingerbread.  Just like OTA should work.

I haven't had any problems, I did have to sign back in to Endomondo (lost the workouts stored on the phone), I probably will have to sign in to some other apps.  I haven't tried the bluetooth yet, I expect to resync with my devices.  So far so good.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat