cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Journeyman

Yes, I tried both and when file tried to open "player does not support this type of file"

Sprint Employee

I may have discovered a problem which may pertain to difficulties that you may see in Sprint music plus when downloading ringtones, for my test phone when I tried duplicating the problem you are having I had to deleye the Ringers from the download folder, clear the browser download history, then go back to sprint music plus to find the content, when I clicked the buy now for $x.xx button I see a prompt that I have already purchased the content, and I may now download it again, then I get successful download, this will not apply if your phone number, and or Network access indicator have been changed since you had purchased the content. let me know if this helps.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thank you so much RC1024 your last post worked - I deleted all the ringers from the download folder and reinstalled from Sprint Music + - worked like a charm! Thank you again!

Journeyman

The Gingerbread Update was smooth and uneventful for me.  My favorite aspect of the update is that the "Phone is fully charged...Unplug Charger" pop-up is now gone!  That was so annoying, because I was worried that it would burn into the screen if I didn't press the "OK" within a few minutes after it popped up...because it would never go away on its own. (Screen "burn in" was reported by some users in other EPIC forums.)

The only item on my wish-list for future updates is more customization options for various aspects of the O.S..   i.e.  Making the Keypad show by default after call connection, being able to call the person directly from the Messaging program screen after they send you a text, etc..  Too bad there's no third-party vendor offerings.  It could be an Android copyright rule prohibiting this kind of tampering?

Journeyman

You are lucky. I've had nothing but problems. After all of my data got wiped, I'm now having problems with the Wi-Fi. It's weak and slow. Side by side with another phone, the speed is 1/2 and I can hardly get a signal 15 feet from my router. Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Allen, you can already call someone directly from the messaging app. Just click their photo on the top of the screen and you can go to just about every aspect of their contact. You can call, email, go to contact, call via qik, all sorts of stuff. There are no rules for modifying android for your personal use, but I am unsure if you would be allowed to modify the samsung apps. However, no one would know that you did it if you didn't share it. Also, there are many third party messaging apps and dialers that give many other features. I can't say I know of one that default opens the dialer keypad though.

Journeyman

I am not loving this update.  There are several things that are bothering me.  The battery life is horrible.  I have gone through 3 batteries in a day, even when I'm barely using the phone and I've checked to see what's running in the background.  I can't stand the new Swype updates (so much that I installed a different texting app to try b/c Swype was driving me insane making up stupid words out of nowhere).  I've also found that any new app I try to install the phone says I don't have enough space.  I had to delete 2 or 3 just to install the texting app and I don't have that many apps on the phone to begin with.  GMail is not synching when I read an email on my computer it's still showing unread on my phone.  The colors are off on the screen (a big green shading behind the security code that wasn't there before).  I've also noticed the camera sound not able to be muted.  I've noticed some of my apps are missing (like my world, weather clock), and the Sprint Nav is gone but there's a TeleNav that I don't like near as well.  One good thing is the picture taking seems to be easier.  Once you see the image that's what you get in your photo.  There's not as much of a delay as there was before.  When will this patch come through and will it fix all this garbage that's going on?  I've read in many different forums that people are having battery life issues.  This is a big deal.  I can't always keep my phone on a charge (and shouldn't have to), and I already have 3 batteries.  That should be MORE than enough.  It's ridiculous.

Journeyman

Your problem is probably your 3 batteries. The phone is contantly trying to calibrate itself to a different battery and never knows when it is actually fully charged or discharged. 5 people in my family all have epics, and all of ours have at least doubled in battery life from the update. My phone has been on for 18hrs now (off charger at 7am and its now quarter to 1am) and I talked on it for 2 hours, did some web surfing, updated about 10 apps, and read an ebook for an hour. Rest of the time it just sat. The replacement batteries are probably your problem. The way the phone tells how much charge is in the battery is by reading the voltage of the battery. Each battery gives out a different full and empty (actually just close to completely discharged) voltage so 1 of your batteries could be considered dead when it is really only half dead, if it is a cheaper battery and puts out lower voltages all the time. Even if it isn't cheap, itll be different for each battery.

Also, try making the sync times relatively far apart for your apps. If facebook, and gmail, and your other email, and twitter, and weather, and all this other junk is updating every 10 minutes, itll really kill the battery.

Journeyman

I tried to update my Epic and had  the same issues. Phone was completely locked, had to go to back to old software. I keep getting that blasted "hey, its time to upgrade your software on your phone" reminder but I am afraid to do it. Like you, not sure what contacts I lost, thought I had them backed up on google...EPIC FAIL! Apps were no biggie...what happened to the "good ol' days when a company would put a product on the market that worked??? Or is that too much to ask?????

Sprint Employee

I'm glad that I can help.

Sprint Employee

All of our test phones here have been updated and all work fine. most people notice improvements. You may want to consider updating. when you mention the "Phone was completely locked" what did you mean?

Journeyman

After I selected that I wanted to do the upgrade, advised me that it need to do the reboot, I agreed, then the "Samsung" logo popped up at the top of the screen and it froze. Reading the blog sounds like it is a known issue and talking to the tech group they have been "killed with calls on the same issue." We tried doing the install twice with the same results...had to do the hold the camera button while holding down the up power key ( I think it was the up, may have been the down) while powering on the device...was an easy process to follow just a pain in the rear end. The tech ended up just telling me to hold off a week or so and call back....I think he was just tired of dealing with me....honestly, if the "upgrade" is causing this much trouble, no thank you for now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat