cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Sprint Employee

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Well, I can personally attest that we have not been inundated with calls related to the Epic's update to EI22. A small portion of customers who had updated their phones were unable due to installed apps, and or software modifications, if you have not gained root access, and deleted files from the ROM, then you should be able to update the phone successfully after factory resetting the phone. after this failing you may go to the store and ask the tech to update it for you.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Well, I can personally attest that we have not been inundated with calls related to the Epic's update to EI22. A small portion of customers who had updated their phones were unable due to installed apps, and or software modifications, if you have not gained root access, and deleted files from the ROM, then you should be able to update the phone successfully after factory resetting the phone. after this failing you may go to the store and ask the tech to update it for you.

Oh, get a clue!!  of course Sprint has been inundated with called related to this Gingerbread update on Epic.  I personally spoke with no less than 12 Sprint reps on the phone and in the stores and they all say that "many people" (some even said "1000's of people") are having their phones bricked by this update. 

Major Sprint fail!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dude, I doubt they have been. I know 6 people with epics, and none of them had a issue. I factory restored mine before I even tried the update because I was rooted and had uninstalled all the sprint apps. None of the other 6 people did this though and they worked fine. There are even some in this thread (which has become nothing but a whine about the update thread) who say that it worked great. You are definitely in a minority, so stop making it like everyone is having this problem. I hate when someone has an issue, and they have to act like the whole world is corrupt just because they had a problem. You are so right, sprint is evil, cant offer good products and should just close up shop because of this issue that only a percentage of its users are experiencing. How dare they have to deal with software issues like the rest of the world

Sprint Employee

I agree I know alot of people who updated this phone, Not one person that I know personally had trouble with the update, all of our test phones here updated with out requiring reset, and a majority of people that I have helped through any update challenges had not bricked their phones, they were able to recover and complete update with a factory reset.

Journeyman

I've had MANY irritating issues since the ginger update.... All my call tones that I purchased just went to silence... so when my job called me, there was no ring to let me know anyone was calling as they were programmed to have a call tone I purchased. So, I missed the call and got written up... thats when I discovered the update caused all my ringtones to still be on the phone and appear normal, but if you try to select them as a ringtone, they are just silent. Also, Every time I talk on the phone now, I have to hold it a foot away from my ear because the lowest incall volume since the update is super loud. With the incall volume turned all the way down, it sounds like the person on the other end is talking to me through a megaphone. I'm not happy with this update.

Sprint Employee

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have had, The Calltones (recently renamed to ringback tones, and they are what a caller hears instead of a standard comfort ring) cannot be affected by the Gingerbread update since they are network based. for the volume have you tried to adjust the volume to Max, then Min while in call?, concerning your Ringers where are the ringers stored, which format are they in, and how did you originally get them?

Journeyman

I no longer have sound on my phone since the update. The vibrate works, but the ringer and speaker do not. I am using the std ring tones that come with the phone. Very dissatisified with this "new lack of function". Anybody have any ideas?

Journeyman

I cannot find the original thread I saw on this similar issue ~ Since the upgrade, I only receive email notification sounds but no sound notifications for text messages (all notification sounds are set to their highest level).  Have any fixes to this been found?

Re: the non-working in-call volume issue, I tried the fix listed (turning it all the way up, then back down) several times but that has not worked for my Samsung Galaxy S. (Is the Galaxy S also the Epic? Mine is not the new Galaxy S)

Sprint Employee

Yes, the Epic is the Samsung Galaxy S for Sprint. Relating to your problem of not hearing notifications do you hear the ringtones when selected in settings? have you checked your notifications within messaging, gmail/email, calendar?

Journeyman

I don't get sound in settings for the phone or notifications. Also no sound from the keyboard, etc.

Journeyman

Yes, I do hear all the tones when I select them in Settings; when I boost the Notifications Volume to the highest setting, I can hear it the tone sample, but it's very quiet.  Nowhere near as loud as the Call Volume setting, which is set at the low end.  I did check my gmail and email notifications and they are on (and I do get tones for new messages for those).  It's just text msg for which I'm not getting tones.

Thanks for the clarification on the Galaxy S/Epic, also.

Sprint Employee

5072738104 Can you hear music from media or phone calls via speaker?, or through a headset?

Zboo, Please try downloading Volume control +, adjust all settings to max, then to min, then to normal, then retest, if volume of notifications is still different than expected please backup data and complete a factory reset, if the problem persists beyond the reset then the problem may be related to the phone's software, although I have not spoken to anybody reporting this problem up until now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat