cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Can you hear music from media or phone calls via speaker?, or through a headset?

No sound running Pandora. No sound from speaker during a call. Can hear calls when NOT using the speaker, although the volume is very, very low.

Don't have headset handy at the moment to try.

Journeyman

RC1024 - Volume Control +, is that a Market product?  I have seen this problem reported on the threads, prior to Thanksgiving, I believe is about the right timeframe.  Seems a lot of ppl have experienced this as well after the upgrade.  I'll keep trying to find the thread.

Sprint Employee

It certainly is a free software from the market. it can be handy when dealing with volume related problems.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks for the info...however, why can't this be fixed via the phone's s'ware, since it worked fine before the Gbread upgrade?

Journeyman

Installed Volume Control + and set all volumes to max...still no sound

Sprint Employee

I'm not certain of what you are asking, but if you are asking why we cannot correct the volume problem through the software I would have to answer  that this problem is somewhat isolated, I have spoken to many who have completed the update with no problems with volume. If volume of notifications is still different than expected after trying Volume control + please backup data and complete a factory reset, if the problem persists beyond the reset then the problem may be related to the phone's software, and you should have a sprint service & repair center's tech look over the phone, and document this for us.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Can someone tell me what good they have seen with this upgrade? Swype doesn't work as well, the emails seem slower, the screen blanks out and takes even more time to go back when you hit the home key.  I haven't noticed any positives.  As for the battery life, my husband's phone is only a few months old and he's having the same problem.  He doesn't charge his unless it's dead, and he only has one battery.  No explanation there b/c he doesn't use his phone any more now than he did before the update.

Journeyman

I've noticed some minor enhancements with the looks of the Android O.S..  The only functional improvement I see is that the "Battery Fully Charged..Unplug Charger" pop-up window is now gone..thank-goodness.  Those pop-ups were known to cause screen burn-in if the "O.K." was not pressed.  Gingerbread shouldn't be causing such wide-spread problems with the EPIC, like we've been reading about in user-forums across the net, but it wasn't designed to be a MAJOR update either.  I think we only went from Android 2.2 to 2.3?  Only when the left number increases  (i.e. 2.0 to 3.0 to 4.0) is the update considered to be major with most software applications.  What's 3.0 with Andoid called..."Honeycomb" or something like that.  The first generation Samsung Epics will probably never see Android 3.0, but it would be a major update.  After reading about so many problems  with this minor Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread (2.3) update, Samsung wouldn't dare subject themselves to the deluge that a 3.0 update would bring..Would they?

A lot of the visual changes in Gingerbread aren't really changes in Gingerbread as much as they are changes in Samsung's Touchwiz interface....such as the unplug charger popup, Samsung has had control over that all along and is not specific to a version of Android. There were also several bugs fixed that Samsung introduced with the Froyo update. So not all the changes between 2.2 and 2.3 are changes in the OS itself, but fixes to bugs that Samsung created and changes in Samsung's interface. Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) is for tablets only so it would never been seen on a phone. The next possible update would be 4.0 but it is doubtful that we will see it. Hopefully we do get another update though that fixes all the new bugs Samsung created in 2.3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gingerbread is in no way a minor update. It improved battery life and performance significantly because the way apps are handled was changed. Samsung may have ruined google's improvements by adding more software that diminished the effects of the upgrade, but 2.3 has enhanced almost every phone that has gotten it. My phone battery now lasts 13-14 hours with moderate use (Making calls, checking email a few times a day, playing pandora for my 30 min drive each way, and heytel running all day long). The performance improvements are mostly noticed on lower end phones that have lesser hardware, but battery life is enhanced on just about every model the upgrade is applied to, so there my be some app conflicts that are causing the poor battery life for you. The frequency of your data updates could be causing problems too (e.g. having emails sync every 5 minutes). Anyone who is having battery problems should try using golauncher or launcherpro or adwlauncher from the market. It replaces samsungs battery hungry launcher and most of them are wayy more customizable than touchwiz. They are also faster for those having issues with that.

Journeyman

Rundmcarlsonn, thanks for the info regarding the various Android versions.  As you pointed out, Samsung likely did add some additional apps to the Gingerbread Update.  With Froyo, my RAM useage at idle was approx 173mb.  Since the Gingerbread update, the RAM useage at idle hovers right around 224mb.  Since my EPIC has just 362mb total RAM, it's somewhat alarming to see so much of it being gobbled up by various processes when the phone is not in use.  If my home PC RAM was 61% consumed without me touching the keyboard, I'd freak out.  Perhaps it's not important in Android to have a lot of "free" RAM like it is in Windows?

Also, thanks for the tip re: GoLauncher and LauncherPro.  I'll check these out and see what they offer.  My battery consumption is the same with Gingerbread as is was with Froyo.  Not that good, but I expect that between the Internet, Phone Calls and Texting, one shouldn't expect miracles.  Battery technology doesn't seem to be progressing at the same breakneck speed as electronics in general.

-Allen

AllenChicago wrote:

Rundmcarlsonn, thanks for the info regarding the various Android versions.  As you pointed out, Samsung likely did add some additional apps to the Gingerbread Update.  With Froyo, my RAM useage at idle was approx 173mb.  Since the Gingerbread update, the RAM useage at idle hovers right around 224mb.  Since my EPIC has just 362mb total RAM, it's somewhat alarming to see so much of it being gobbled up by various processes when the phone is not in use.  If my home PC RAM was 61% consumed without me touching the keyboard, I'd freak out.  Perhaps it's not important in Android to have a lot of "free" RAM like it is in Windows?

There were some changes to improve memory management in Gingerbread, I believe it will leave some processess in memory longer now in order to allow for quicker loading, but if memory gets too low or is needed to open new apps, it will automatically kill off unused processes to free up memory.

If you are running Windows 7 or Vista on your home PC, your available memory is nearly 100% consumed. Windows Vista and 7 use all the available RAM you have to cache programs and processes for quicker loading, however it only reports RAM currently in use by running programs. Check out the Physical Memory box on the Performance tab in task manager, it will show how much "Free" RAM is really available. As RAM is needed for programs, it will dump stuff out of what has been cached.. Android basically does the same thing.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat