Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

When will the Gingerbread update be available for the samsung epic?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Okay, you baited me out. We did receive the internal memo cited in the links. I was hoping someone higher up would do a formal announcement, but I'm sure something will be posted tomorrow.

Just like it says in the memo, it will be a gradual release, with only 11% getting the update in the first 5 days (that timer starts tomorrow). If I find an approved way to manually update it, I'll post it, but most of these updates are strictly OTA these days.

View solution in original post

318 REPLIES 318
Highlighted

Hello bessiepowers,

At this time, there is no information/date regarding when or if the Gingerbread update will be made available for the Samsung EPIC. If it becomes available at any point in the future, you will receive an automatic notification indicating that an update is available from your handset. I hope this helps

Regards,
CD

Highlighted
Journeyman

My guess is soon after seeing this one the sprint website for the Epic.Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 12.47.13 PM.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

New Epic 4G phones are shipping with Gingerbread, which means that Sprint and Samnsung must have finalized  the update.  So can we bring our phones into the store to be upgraded?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello all, at this time I find no records of 2.3 being released for the Samsung Epic, I have send a request to validate the information seen on sprint.com (referring to Epic shipping with 2.3) I will provide additional detail here as this matter is addressed.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not shipping the Epic with 2.3...Sprint says that was a typo and they have since corrected their ad...but I do believe we will see the Gingerbread update soon...they have been testing and they would not have done so many tests if they were not planning on upgrading our phones...we must be patient...Sprint will not say anything until the day AFTER they start the rollout of the upgrade...

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

That's right AngieInConroe, the website is back to saying that the Epic ships with 2.2. soon enough I hope for 2.3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is it taking so long to do the upgrade to gingerbread?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Delays in android system updates come from the way it must be done. first when google releases a new version of Android Samsung has to evaluate the software to determine what customizations are required to make it work with the phone that it's intended for. then at somepoint Sprint has Samsung customize it with our Specs, sumsung has to customize the software, test, then submit it to sprint for testing, we offer feedback to have the software customized again, then testing repeats. once a software has been submitted and has passed testing it is generally released. At this time we do not have information regarding a release for the Epic. In short we do not have information as to why Gingerbread has not been made available to the Epic at this point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hope we see this update...your words give me encouragement...

Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry, but RC1024's words do not give me any real encouragement.  Gingerbread has been out since December 2010, for 8 months now, and we still don't have it.  Froyo came out in May 2010 and we had to wait 9-10 months to get it.  I certainly understand that it's not a piece of cake to adapt an OS for specific devices and customizations, but when other carriers and/or manufacturers are getting these same updates out more quickly, it leads me to believe that there's something with Sprint and/or Samsung that's causing the delays we're experiencing.  I still think the communcation from both companies on the topic of OS updates is lacking, and that's what frustrates me the most.  We've read about a lot of Gingerbread builds for the Epic, including some that were leaked, and yet no one official seems to have any clue as to when a final build will be ready for release -- and this is after ~3 months worth of work and a mid-May Samsung press release saying Galaxy S phones would get Gingerbread.  Given all the work we know is going on, I do still expect to see Gingebread on my Epic, and hopefully it's going to be sooner rather than later (if it takes much longer, we're going to repeat the Froyo fiasco).  But I'm not holding my breath, and I may not buy another Samsung phone with this record of taking many months to get OS updates pushed out.  Maybe when I'm eligible for an upgrade next year (thanks to the Premier plan changes), I'll be looking for an HTC or something else.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Dronak01, I agree, I would like to have seen the update released faster, but in my experience no phone manufacturer is immune to delays in maintenance releases, A prime example is the HTC touch (MP-6900) I bought the phone the day it came out, and patiently twiddled my thumbs for over nine months for a software update to enable GPS and EVDO Revision A. I personally know the frustration of updates being delayed, but the software must go through a quality check and if it doesn't pass, it has to be fixed. I apologize for the frustration, but I'm sure things will work out.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat