Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

Go to solution
Highlighted

Always_problems wrote:

I updated my Epic with Gingerbread around Thanksgiving.  The next day, I could not access Internet, no emails, etc.  All I was able to do was use the phone (surprising) and text.  But could not SEND or receive pics though.  I called Sprint who said that I had to bring it in for reset, which I did after about 2 weeks when I couldn't take it anymore.

I had the phone reset on December 8, removing gingerbread.  Since then, no issues. 

The people at the repair center said that the Epic does not work with gingerbread and they haven't figured it out yet.

Why they rolled it out to us, I have no idea.  I am still getting messages to download it.

Oh yeah, and they told me that next time I get a notification to download something, wait a few months to see if there are any issues first.

Can't WAIT till my contract is over.

Works fine on my phone...and many others as well (well, other than the GPS). Don't know why someone at the repair center would have told you that, but yet another example of how you can't always believe what store workers or phone support tells you.

I would be willing to bet that the factory reset of your phone fixed the problem...not going back to Froyo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung Epic

I read on the other Sprint forum that the factory reset does nothing but wipe your data and costs you lots of time. It fails to fix GPS.

Can anyone at Sprint claim that the factory reset does anything other than cost us lots of wasted time?

Highlighted

Factory reset wipes data, defaults all settings and removes all apps. Which in many cases can fix problems after an update. No, it won't fix the GPS issue since that is a problem with the update itself. Lots of times after updates something may have been corrupted or a installed app may not be compatible with the new version of Android and can cause issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're lucky.

My update came around Thanksgiving 2011 as well. After the update, I experienced the following errors:

- I can't multi-task during calls like before. If I'm on a all, I HAVE to hit HOME then pull down the top menu to get to whatever text just popped in during the call. Major annoying.

- Phone freezes & reboots when in use, usually when utilizing a GPS app, which brings me to my biggest compliant...

- GPS isn't working! With Google Maps, Telenav & even Waze (I tried another obscure gps app just to see if there was something wrong with the Big 2), I keep getting the "GPS Searching" comment and it NEVER finds the location. Or it'll pull up a set of directions, but heaven forbid I take a STEP in the RIGHT direction bc it loses signal and starts searching again. I travel between 5 counties in Central FL & each time after this update, I've gotten lost thanks to Sprint's f*cked up update. I deliberately bought a cell phone with excellent GPS/Tracking features so I could ditch my "Relocating, Relocating" Garmin. At this rate, Sprint better buy me a new Garmin bc I'm getting sick of having my phone NOT doing what it used to when I bought it.

And yes, I took it back to the Sprint store & had it re-set. Personally, I think the retards installed the same bogus update in the process. So no, it's still not working. Even called Sprint Customer Care, who "refreshed" something remotely. GPS is STILL not working. And Sprint refuses to 'fess up to there being a problem (when it's been documented ALL over the World Wide Web) or offer a solution (hint: Buy me a Garmin, Give me a new/different phone, Don't send me a bill).

My family has been with Sprint for years, but this (plus their "exchange your new one for a used one" advice & "oops, we dropped your employee discount even though we saw your credentials in store when you signed up") is ridiculous!

- "Taking Another BIG Step Away From Sprint" customer

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been to TWO authorized repair centers/sales centers in TWO different counties. They're both telling me they CANNOT flash my Epic 4G back to previous update state, not even to Froyo. 😠

Highlighted
Journeyman

My GPS is also not working consistently.  If I want directions, I have to shut down the phone and restart it.  Then I'll have GPS for at least a few minutes.  Until it decides to stop working.  Trying to turn on GPS after the phone has been on for a period of time is hopeless.

So far Sprint / Samsung have a perfect record.  With every update I've traded a few fancy new icons (the only plus I've found so far) for less and less functionality....

Highlighted

Jishushika-chan wrote:

You're lucky.

My update came around Thanksgiving 2011 as well. After the update, I experienced the following errors:

- I can't multi-task during calls like before. If I'm on a all, I HAVE to hit HOME then pull down the top menu to get to whatever text just popped in during the call. Major annoying.

- Phone freezes & reboots when in use, usually when utilizing a GPS app, which brings me to my biggest compliant...

- GPS isn't working! With Google Maps, Telenav & even Waze (I tried another obscure gps app just to see if there was something wrong with the Big 2), I keep getting the "GPS Searching" comment and it NEVER finds the location. Or it'll pull up a set of directions, but heaven forbid I take a STEP in the RIGHT direction bc it loses signal and starts searching again. I travel between 5 counties in Central FL & each time after this update, I've gotten lost thanks to Sprint's f*cked up update. I deliberately bought a cell phone with excellent GPS/Tracking features so I could ditch my "Relocating, Relocating" Garmin. At this rate, Sprint better buy me a new Garmin bc I'm getting sick of having my phone NOT doing what it used to when I bought it.

And yes, I took it back to the Sprint store & had it re-set. Personally, I think the retards installed the same bogus update in the process. So no, it's still not working. Even called Sprint Customer Care, who "refreshed" something remotely. GPS is STILL not working. And Sprint refuses to 'fess up to there being a problem (when it's been documented ALL over the World Wide Web) or offer a solution (hint: Buy me a Garmin, Give me a new/different phone, Don't send me a bill).

My family has been with Sprint for years, but this (plus their "exchange your new one for a used one" advice & "oops, we dropped your employee discount even though we saw your credentials in store when you signed up") is ridiculous!

- "Taking Another BIG Step Away From Sprint" customer

If you'd read posts here you'd realize the problem has been reported. Will everyone you talk to at Sprint know about the problem? No.

GPS will NOT work until Samsung fixes it with another update.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat