cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced phone "freeze" while charging?

Journeyman

Has anyone experienced phone "freeze" while charging?

On 3 occasions while charging my phone it became unresponsive (frozen…so to speak). I had my phone powered on when I plugged it into the charger so it should respond when unplugged from the charger or when I push the “unlock/power” button to unlock the screen while charging; however, nothing happened. The display would not come on nor would the phone power off (or on) when I pushed and held the power button down. I took it off the charger and again tried to power the phone off but it did not do anything. The LCD red “charging” indicator light (or blue light when the phone is fully charged) remained lit and did not go off.  I slid the keyboard out thinking that it would cause the phone to respond but the display still did not show anything.  I also called the phone to see if it would respond but the call did not come through although it rang on the other end. In the past I’ve removed and reinserted the battery which appears to fix the issue but this has happened 3 times within the 3 weeks that I’ve owned the phone. I need a root cause so that I know how to prevent this from continuing to happen.  Has anyone else experienced this and how do I prevent it from happening?

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Has anyone experienced phone "freeze" while charging?

Yep, aftermarket chargers do this to mine. I beleive the epic is very senstiive, so I'd be sure to match up the specs to the charger that came to the phone (all my car chargers work fine).

Wizard

are you charging with the provided plug and cable?  if yes, then it's cause for concern.  might just need to replace those, so check with sprint service store.

Patron

Same thing happend to me last week.  Now the phone freezes several times a day, even while I am on a call.  Took it into Sprint this afternoon, they did a factory reset and told me all is well.  Just went to make a call and the phone is frozen again.  Very frustrating.

Journeyman

Yes, I have also experienced this issue three times in less than a week. I am using the charger that came with the phone. On all occassions I had to remove the battery to turn the phone back on. My phone also freezes sometimes during regular use and I am forced to remove the battery and put it back before I am able to use the phone. I have experienced most the the issues other users have complained about, (i.e. gps not functioning correctly, phone freezes), I called Sprint customer service and they performed a factory reset on the phone but that did not solve the issue because my phone froze again the following day. I hope Sprint announces a fix for these issues because I am seriously considering returning this phone because I have had it for less than 30 days. Please let me know if you find out the root cause.

Patron

Sprint sent me to the store to have them look at my phone yesterday.  They could not find anything wrong with the phone and did a hard reset, stating that it would fix the problem.  Again today, the phone froze.  I ran it into Sprint still frozen and they again did a hard reset.  We know that does not fix the problem.  No idea who to contact now.

Journeyman

I have had the phone for only a couple days and it has frozen at least 4 or 5 times with the display not lighting up.  The home key buttons on the bottom will light, but nothing seems to get the screen up w/out having to pull the battery.  This happens without having the charger connected.  Also, yesterday, when it happened all my email settings were no longer on the phone, though my exchange calendar and contacts were still on the phone.  But when I go to mail, I get the setup for email and asked to put in an email address/password.

I like the phone, but this is a no-brainer after having my TouchPro freeze up incessantly (thinking it was a Windows issue), and now having the same problem with an Android phone!  Unless there is a viable solution, this phone has to go!

Journeyman

We had this problem with 3rd party chargers but never with the ones that came with the phone.

We are switching to AC to USB plugs with the data/charge cable to see if we can still have a cheap alternative

then buying chargers from Sprint.

My heart goes out to those that have freezing with even the regular chargers.

One thing to be careful of is what applications you have running that may impact Androids performance.

I know there are countless threads of people running task killers that screw stuff up.

If you are having freezing issues after a hard reset and you didn't install any new applications then you need to swap your phone.

Journeyman

I've had this problem on and off since I got the phone.  It's VERY frustrating.

But today, it's preventing me from docking to my computer.  It does this with ALL THREE of my cables, including the one that came with the phone.  As soon as you plug the USB from the computer to the phone, the phone freezes, preventing you from selecting "MASS STORAGE".  It does this on BOTH my computers now. Is there any help for this??

Without being able to connect to my computer, I can't put movies, music, and files on the phone, and that removes most of the appeal for me.

This phone is getting to be way more of a hassle than it's worth.  My old Blackberry Curve, collecting dust in the corner, is looking better and better lately. 

On Edit: To clarify, the phone seems to be working fine, but the touch screen is completely non-responsive.  If you happen to have the phone off when you plug it in, it comes up with the security screen, which is also completely non-responsive to the touch screen.

Message was edited by: swhiteh33

Journeyman

Ok I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I'm just putting it out there. I had similar freezing problems a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that I began having this problem a few hours after I installed 'Lookout' (the antivirus app from the Marketplace). Once I uninstalled the app, and reset my phone things went back to normal. So if you installed some app before these problems started occurring, it might be worth a shot to try uninstalling it to check if that solution works.

Hope this helps.

Note: I am a Sprint Employee & a Samsung Epic 4G Product Ambassador; but mostly I'm a customer just like you

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, this started happening to me the very first night I had the phone, before I even knew how to get to the Marketplace...  It was about two days before I started installing aftermarket apps.  So far, I've spent several hours just trying to connect my laptop to my phone with no luck.  Seeing as part of my job requires constantly uploading pictures I've taken with the phone, this is a MAJOR issue.

Between this and the inability to turn off the "out-of-coverage" and "in-coverage" tones, and the lack of Outlook notes, I think this phone is going back before my 30 days are up. 

The Blackberry Torch may be my only option....

Journeyman

After giving up a few a while, I came back and decided to try again.  (I'm a glutton for punishment I guess).  This time, it worked.  I plugged it in, and was able to select "MASS STORAGE" with no issues.

Has anyone seen a trend or way to prevent this?  If I can repeatably "get around" this bug, I could probably manage, but if it's going to be an unpredictable sometimes-on and sometimes-off, then that's not going to work.  Thanks all!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat