cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced phone "freeze" while charging?

Journeyman

Re: Has anyone experienced phone "freeze" while charging?

I, too, have not had any applications added to the phone.  When it froze up one time, it deleted my mail settings as well (on the Exchange server).  I am getting a replacement phone and if the same happens with the replacement phone then I will definitely have to go with another device.  Maybe it was just a bad device...I guess I'll see soon enough!

Journeyman

My phone has had the exact same issue. Freezes/locks up on charge. The only solution I have found is to remove the battery.

This phone will have to go back before my 30 days is up.

Journeyman

Another datapoint for you folks.

The included wall charger does not cause the screen lockup problem below.

An 'ebay' battery and USB charger (naked battery can clip in + USB port on top) causes the touch screen to lock up -except for the lower '4 key' home row which remains operational but then the menu's don't work because they are on the main screen. Interestingly the keyboard can be used to navigate the home row buttons and thus access your phone.

An 'ebay' USB car charger causes random happenings when the GPS is on and the touch screen would lock.

I did notice one significant difference. The 'ebay' units cause the 'USB Connected' message. The wall charger does not.

Humm.I might need to drag out my VOM.. Or read the fine print, I mean the -really- fine print on the chargers.. The Samsung chargers output 5.0 volts. The OEM's 5.2  Uninformed theory could the higher voltage make the Epic think it should be talking to a computer resulting in the screen freeze since there is no computer to be found?

Dan

Message was edited by: danfriz

Journeyman

YES! and it is very annoying. The freezing problem has happened twice in the last week. Prior to that I never faced this problem. I know it has nothing to do with the charger as my phonw was off the charger for over an hour before it happened to me. both times it has happened, the phone was in my holster and not in use, but when I removed it only the bottom navigation buttons were lit up andthe screen was completely blacked out. Nothing worked. Sliding the keyboard out produced no results. The only thing I could do was remove the battery and reset.

This and several other features that work fine on the EVO, but do not work on the EPIC 4G are really upsetting me, especially since I paid 50.00 more for the Epic rather than the EVO. Sprint really needs to step up and do something about this and all the other performance issues and bugs that have been reported on the forums here.

Journeyman

Yes, every day all day long!  I took it to Sprint repair in town, and they reset the phone.  I lost all my apps, and the phone still doesn't work properly. 😞

My phone acts up regardless if it is plugged in or not, but it won't open up at all if plugged in.  Also, Sprint coverage is absolutely the worst we have ever had here.  We have used 4 different companies, and Sprint has the worst coverage.

To add insult to injury, I contacted Sprint today and they suggested we pay the $100 to the insurance company for a new phone.  So they sell a bad phone that has not worked properly from the start, and then want me to let the insurance company send me another potentially bad phone for $100?  It seems if they sold a bad phone, they should be replacing it for free not telling me to "take advantage" of the fact that I paid for insurance.  I paid for insurance in case I did something to break the phone, not for replacing a defective phone!

We were on vacation for the 30 day trial, or I would have taken our phones back and gone with a different company.  Sprint has terrible customer support, terrible coverage and just gets people to sign a 2 year contract for trash phones.

Journeyman

Well, a sufficient number of users have been experiencing the same issue, suggesting a problem with the device or software not just related to the charger.  I use the Samung Epic/Sprint charger, so voltage differences is probably not a significant factor in my case.

I have been experiencing the freeze ups for two weeks.  I think I first experienced this before I downloaded any apps.  My freezes result in the screen being black, with only the red light at the top on, and the bottom row of buttons illuminated, but not functional.  In fact, nothing functions when this happens.  As I said, it even happens when I am not charging the device, like when I leave it on my desk and later pick it up to make a call, but find that it is frozen.  At first it was occasional, maybe once every 3 days or so.  I "cured" this by removing the battery and starting it again.  Yesterday, though, removing the battery did not cure the problem -- and now it won't boot completely.  It shows me the Samsung Galaxy screen on boot up, plays the tune, then hangs up, save for the red light at the top on, and the bottom row of buttons illuminated.  No response to any input.

I'm taking it in today.  I'll see what happens.

Journeyman

i have been having the problem freezing..It freezes once or twice a day with everyday usage: making calls, ending calls, lag in moving screen to screen..I have been having the problem about a week or so...I thought maybe I have to many apps so I uninstalled a few..But it seems to continue to happen..I had the same problem with the Samsung Intercept back in Aug  took it to  sprint and they told me that I needed a software update but it wasn't out yet..It was my upgrade time so I upgraded to the Epic and now its the same problem...My sister kept her Intercept and since she has gotten the update she hasn't had any problems so far.... Soooooo hopefuly Samsung/Sprint can speed up the software update help with these problems

Journeyman

I took my phone in and the techs said it was a faulty screen -- but I don't think that was the real cause.  I got a replacement new phone delivered in 24 hours, and that phone is working great.

Of possible interest, though, is that battery life in my new phone is remarkably better than on my original phone.  I don't know if that has any significance for the problems outlined.  Bottom line:  I recommend that anyone experiencing this problem get a replacement device.  Good luck.

Journeyman

I got the screen freeze issue 5 minutes after I got my Epic when I tried to use the OEM Charger in an inverter outlet in my car. Using the inverter consistently causes the issue. Only the touchscreen functionality breaks, and it goes back to normal after unplugging the charger. Using a cheap ebay 12V->USB adapter in my car does work without freezing the screen, but hardly charges the battery (sometimes it even drops slowly)

Journeyman

I am having the same problem.  However my Epic also freezes when it's not charging.  I have gone to the Sprint store and called service.  They say "take out the battery"!  I can't take out the battery 5 times a day!   Anyone have any ideas how we can get Sprint's attention?  I'm thinking of a change if I can't get a fix soon.

Journeyman

I have been experiencing the freeze ups many times since I first started using it, it is much worse during the past two weeks.  I first thought I would be the one of the few who likes to play applications provided, but my son is not.  This time my freeze result in the screen being completely black, with only the red light at the top on, and the bottom row of buttons illuminated, no function at all.  Nothing functions when this happens.  At first it was occasional, maybe once every 2 days or so (Gosh, I believed occasional).  I fixed this by removing the battery and starting it again, and many time it worked.  Yesterday, though, removing the battery did not solve the headache -- and now it refuse to boot!!!  It shows me on the screen the Samsung Galaxy screen on boot up, plays the tune, then hangs up, save for the red light at the top on, and the bottom row of buttons illuminated.  No response to any input, the hard keyboard illuminating.

This is my 5th Samsung device, others are 24 inch Monitor, digital Camcorder, 5Gb USB drive (7 years ago was huge) and a digital camera. Only the monitor lasted for more than a year by one month. This phone (Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint) has the shortest life - two months.

Shall we all here request a compensation from either Sprint or Samsung, or voice it to the news media to get heard? Otherwise the complaints just sit hear with no responses from neither of Samsung nor Sprint.

Very frustrated Epic user

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat