cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! Samsung Epic shutting off by itself!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok Im new to this discussion forum but Ive had my samsung epic 4g touch for about a year now and other than some minor texting issues in the beginning, all was fine. Well not so much now! I plugged my phone in to charge for the evening as I do every night, and it shut off. Oops, I must have did that by accident. So I turned it back on and it does it again! WTF?! Turned it back on and my taskbar is not lighting up and when I try to use my phone it keeps shutting off in its own. I took the batterey out for a few minutes and when I turned it back on the problems persisted. Ok.....I left the battery out over night and this morning I turned the phone on and nothing has changed. I cannot even use my phone, my taskbar is gone so if by chance I am lucky enough to be able to view anything on my phone, I cant back out of there unless I slide open my keyboard. Please if anybody is having the same issues and can help let me know. This is the last straw. I have had bad customer service from the start with Sprint and if I have to purchase a new phone I will go to another company. Im sorry I just have to vent!! With gas prices @ $3.69 who can afford a new phone?!

3 REPLIES 3
Wizard

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your phone. I would suggest trying to leave it plugged in to the charger for a few hours with out attempting to turn it on, if it's still turning itself off then we may need to have the device and battery checked out in one of our repair locations.

Journeyman

Re: Help!! Samsung Epic shutting off by itself!

It sounds like you are prbaly just running too many apps in thebackground you should just trn it off and leave it plugged in and turn off auto sync.

Journeyman

Re: Help!! Samsung Epic shutting off by itself!

This exact same thing started happening to my phone last night.  I first started noticing problems when Sprint began looking for ways to reduce network data use and forced an update to make the phone look for remembered wi-fi locations.  When they did this I turned that feature off because it crushed my battery life cylcling between hotspots as I moved about through my day.  This update also altered my ability to make calls as it seemed the phone wouldn't know what network or data source to use.  It's almost as if the wi-fi software was shutting down the antenna when it was searching for a data connection or using wi-fi.  These issues got progressively worse as they also began adjusting the 4G network to LTE (my 4g no longer working properly is a different story all together).  The point is in my case nothing physically has changed with my phone outside of this forced update.  I have not downloaded any new apps, I have not made any adjustments, I have not dropped the phone, put it in water, or treated it poorly in anyway. 

All of that to get to this - my phone is currently unusable.  When I turn it on it will boot up perfectly.  I will come back to it and go to the unlock screen after hitting the power button (same happens if I slide out the keyboard).  At this point, whether I use the touch screen or the keyboard, the first input I make to the phone re-boots it.  The phone does not shut off it simply recylces itself back to where it was when I tried to access it for use.  The only remedy to this problem has been to, on the reboot, not allow the start up cylce to fully complete.  While the phone is checking the SD Card, looking for updates etc if I access the phone before even all the RAM has loaded up I can do things.  The touch screen will work and things will be fine until the boot up cycle is complete.  At that point when the boot finishes I can only use the keyboard and the touch screen functions no longer work.  I have been able to make calls if they are placed before the phone gets into lock down.  I am able to text as much as I went as long as I get into the messaging screen before the boot cycle ends.  The phone also can receive email, calls, texts if, and only if, I don't allow the screen to go dark after getting into the phone before the boot finalizes.  If I don't get into the phone before start up ends or if I let it go dark for even a second, the next touch will reboot everything all over again.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat