cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High time without signal (searching for GSM network causes battery drain and fix suggested)

Highlighted
Journeyman

High time without signal (searching for GSM network causes battery drain and fix suggested)

I'm getting a huge time without signal on my phone. It sits at 50% and causes cell standby to be the largest drain of my battery.

I believe this is the leading cause of all of the battery issues that people are experiencing on this phone.

There is a very simple fix that needs to be pushed down from either samsung or sprint to become permanent.

If you go to the market you can download an app called "Network." This lets you access some hidden radio settings on your phone. There is a dropdown box that allows you to select what type of network your phone will search for. For the epic, its defaulted to "WCDMA Preferred"

WCDMA is not available in the US and certainly not available from sprint. This setting should be "CDMA auto." The Network app lets you change this setting but the change is not permanent. If the network app is ever exited, either via the back button or the android native task manager, your setting will go back to "WCDMA Preferred"

With the setting at "CDMA auto" my time without signal is as low as 4%. Often times its at 0%. This drastically improves my battery life. Unfortunately, I have to periodically open the Network app to make sure the setting remains at "CDMA auto"

This really needs to be a high priority for sprint/samsung to fix. The poor battery life issues can be pretty easily mitigated by this. I hope someone from sprint with technical knowledge can help us figure out how to make this permanent.

Message was edited by: liangxia86

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: High time without signal (battery drain and fix suggested)

Try turning off roaming.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you are misunderstanding the issue. Turning off data roaming wont do anything

The problem here is that the first type of network that this phone searches for is a wcdma network. Since the radio in this phone can NEVER connect to a wcdma network it will NEVER find a network. It will then bounce to a cdma network and connect but I'm assuming it will continue to seach for a wcdma network even though it has a perfectly good cdma connection because its being told that it prefers wcdma.

This site explains a bit more. Basically WCDMA is a GSM network standard and has no business being on a CDMA phone.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=104

Highlighted
Journeyman

My point is that forcing the phone not to switch to/from roaming, by forcing it to a sprint only network, when its having a bad or no signal will also help with battery ...  There is also a potential that forcing the phone to Sprint Only network would change its search algorithm.

Highlighted
Journeyman

PS.

Someone should get a hold of the apps programmer. As it sounds to me that there is a very good chance that the APP is the one that defaults to WCDMA as the default for what it shows, ie At startup when values are not initialized. That would explain the fact that closing/killing the program and oppening it up again defaults back to WCDMA....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I highly doubt the program is setting anything. Before I had ever heard of this Network App, I was getting 50% Time without signal on my phone. Only after installing the Network App and changing the setting did the time without signal jump up.

Roaming shouldnt affect your battery life in a significant way as long as you're not in an area without sprint coverage. And I get great sprint coverage where I am...

Highlighted
Journeyman

VR_4 wrote:

My point is that forcing the phone not to switch to/from roaming, by forcing it to a sprint only network, when its having a bad or no signal will also help with battery ...  There is also a potential that forcing the phone to Sprint Only network would change its search algorithm.

It's not the app developer that has the issue. If you dial *#4636*1111# you can see that the phone itself defaults to WCDMA. As the OP points out, the phone will NEVER find a WCDMA signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: High time without signal (searching for GSM network causes battery drain and fix suggested)

im on the phone with tech support right now trying to figure this out

Journeyman

Re: High time without signal (searching for GSM network causes battery drain and fix suggested)

Ok, I just got off the phone with sprint, it didnt take too long to get support, the guy was really cool, but he said this is the first time they have heard of this issue, he gave me the number to samsung tech support which is: 18007267864, I think if anyone gets a chance they should call sprint and let them know of this issue so that they understand that it needs to be taken care of, and I want froyo dangit! But so far the customer service has been good, I cant blame them for the phone not working right they didnt build it, but I had an instinct and it was the worst phone ever made, and this is my second samsong, I got 2 more weeks till I can take it back and i reall dont want to but, I might have to, I need a phone that will be reliable for two years unlike my instinct, please get these issues resolved sprint or you are goin to get alot of impatient users,

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has been discussed over @ androidcentral as well. Personally I've been updating the PRL once a day which re-sets the radios and I've managed to get my time without signal down from 70%-80% to below 20%. Others advocate toggling your phone into and out of airplane mode which also resets the radios, problem with that is it seems to affect the GPS some.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure if the high time without signal is due to the 3g issues we're expericing as well.  When on EVDO rev A, I get about a 50% time without signal.  After switching to airplane mode and then off again, the TWS drops to about 3%.  However, I get quite a wide signal flutuation.  I would get about 4 bars for about 30 seconds, then get no bars for 10 seconds and then the signal reappears.  This happens constantly through the day.

Lucky for me I get almost no signal at work, so the phone switches me to roam mode.  In roaming, I'm connected to a 1xrtt network and I get about 5 bars and its pretty solid and the TWS is 0%.

I think all the problems I'm getting is when I'm connected to 3g.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat