cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

Why is it that the Samsung Epic gets so hot while your using it or just doing anything while it's charging? Is this Normal?!?!

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Wizard

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

OCEANINIQUE wrote:

Why is it that the Samsung Epic gets so hot while your using it or just doing anything while it's charging? Is this Normal?!?!

OCEANINIQUE,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about the issue with the Epic. I am an Epic user and my phone will get warm when it charges, but not hot to the point where its uncomfortable to touch or use.

I'm REALLY concerned. I would suggest bringing the device into a service and repair location ASAP. You can find a repair center by using our Store Locator, www.sprint.com/storelocator.

Let me know how hot we are talking.

-William

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

I have experienced this as well. I would say its normal for instances where the amount of current (energy) being pulled from the battery exceeds that of the charge current coming from the charge source. I also have experienced hot temps while not charging if I am using the HotSpot while connected to 4G which sucks the battery down like nothing else. Thermal efficientcy loss is unfortunately a reality of Lithium batteries so this is something we have to live with. If you are truly concerned bring it in but honestly I believe for heavy use the heat is normal. If you are at home or at some place where you can do so I have taken off the case and battery cover to allow the heat to escape more quickly... hope this helped.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

You will have to be very specific as to what you are doing and what the phone is doing at a time it gets hot, hot, hot. It could be as simple as a defective battery and/or device.  Or it could be that numerous apps are running at once.  As the above poster said, maybe you are using the HotSpot (note the Hot in the name).  My phone gets warm, but never hot.  It just depends on what you are doing.  For me, I was playing a full screen mind-blowing graphic game.  And I am using a case cover.

You can view the Task Managers to see all apps running, 3rd party apps running, etc.  You can also terminate many apps there.  There are different ways, but you have to be specific when you post for help on here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

I got my phone yesterday, and today when it was charging the phone actually notified me that it would now stop charging because the temperature was too high... Is this normal? this should not be how it behaves after 12 hours of owning it

Highlighted
Wizard

Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

torilejune,

That is not normal. You should take it to a Service Center and let them take a look. It sounds like it could be a defective battery.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Hot, Hot, Hot !!!!!

torilejune, were you charging in the direct sun?  Were you doing anything excessive during charging?  Were you using the Mobile HOTspot during charging?  If you answered Yes to any of these, then there is your answer.  Otherwise, what DONALIEN said.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone also gets very hot especially when I am surfing the web or watching videos. Extremely hot to the point I am even feeling it through the protective case. It is hottest right below the camera in the back. It has been this way since I got it. Funny thing is I had to get a new phone because the other one kept freezing up and then the screen eventually died. When I went to the sprint store to pick up my new phone and they activated it for me it stayed hot for HOURS. I turned a fan on and left it alone, it was still hot, I just had to turn it off for a while. I was also surprised to find out that they gave me back the same battery I had on the previous phone. Shouldn't I have gotten a new one along with the brand new phone?  Oh well.

Highlighted
Wizard

dominguezfermin, you have a defective battery.  Stop using it immediately!!!  Take the phone back to the store or store with repair center to get a free battery replacement.  Please, any further use will damage your phone.  If the battery replacement do not solve the HOT situation, then the phone is defective.  Whenever you replace the battery and/or phone (replace battery first), please watch carefully and make sure the battery is new right out of the package.  Like I said, if the phone continue to get HOT, then get a phone replacement.  Depending on how long you had the phone, you may be able to demand for a new replacement.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello dominguezfermin, I do want to make sure you are aware your activities in the phone can also cause this accompanied with a shortened battery life, if you can answer a few short questions for me we may find that applications or settings are the culprit and save you a trip to the store. first what type and how many email/sync accounts do you have setup? what applications have you installed? when you are done with an application do you generally press the house button or press the back arrow until it is gone? are wifi, bluetooth, GPS, or 4g turned on?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sometimes all I am doing is talking on the phone and it will get hot. Its rare I am simultaneously doing things with it even though I did get the phone for that purpose. I only turn on 4g when I need it (sprint tv, youtube, downloading). I have never turned on wifi, used gps only once for a few moments. Once I am done surfing the web, texting, talking or whatever I make sure to go back to the home screen thorugh the arrow button, I used to have a task manager button but not anymore so I open up the task manager and end all the services then I go and stop all the running services as well since they run down the battery so much and I'm constantly having to charge it. I don't sync any accounts and only have gmail.

I have a few games installed and mobo player but that is all.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

if experiencing high temperatures even under light usages after battery has been unplugged for 20 - 30 minutes then I would say it could be a problem with the phone or battery, but if it goes away when the phone is left idle and unplugged then I would say the phone is fine and it's likely due to use while phone is charging

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat