cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Spot kills phone even when plugged in?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hot Spot kills phone even when plugged in?

The update is killing my battery.  I only purchased the Sprint phone, and switched after years of only using ATT, because of the hot spot feature.  I work from home, using the hot spot on my Epic, from morning until night.  Now I have to quit in the middle of the day because my phone dies even though it is plugged in.  I have tried 3 different charging cords, so it isn't the cord.  😕  Then today, my phone also overeheated.  A message said I couldn't charge the phone until the phone cooled down.

Anyone else having this issue?  I am hoping that the Sprint store can give me a phone that works, or let us out of our contract since the phone will not work as advertised.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed that using Google maps in the car and being plugged in, still drains the battery and gets hot.  I believe it is someting due with the 3G data connection (I don't get 4G) See this thread. Post 9, 35. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/65542?tstart=0

Highlighted
Journeyman

Battery life is sure the major downfall to the hot spot phones.  I have the EVO...have it cradled most of the time I am online.  Have not had the problem of it going dead while plugged in.

Highlighted
Wizard

Keeping the phone charged all the time while excessively use the Internet through it will heat up the battery, even overheat.  The phone is constantly processing everything.  There is nothing defective about it.  Just that our technology is not quite there...just yet.  Phones are not meant to be excessively and heavily used nonstop for hours.

Try using the Hot Spot unplugged from the charger and only charge when battery gets low, then unplug when battery is about full again.  Or lessen the activities on it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

The PROBLEM is SPRINT doesn't have enough towers in the Waco, TX area.  I only have a problem when I am working at home, and I work at home every day.  When I get sick of how slow Sprint is at home, and sick of changing out my battery every 3 hours because they die, I go into town and work.

When working in town, using my Sprint Epic hot spot, the battery lasts most of the day and the phone does NOT get hot.  Conclusion, not enough towers and trying to keep contact with the tower far away sucks my battery life and makes my phone warm, it only gets hot when plugged in and on hot spot.  (Oh, I just "got it", it gets a "hot spot" when using the hot spot feature! LOL)

The battery still dies if I plug in my phone while I work.  I only do this when my battery life looks low and I am in the middle of building a web page online and don't want to lose my work.  I will plug in the phone to get an extra hour.  I don't want to ruin my phone by overheating it, so I rarely do this.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat