cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is your Epic battery last?

Highlighted
Patron

How long is your Epic battery last?

Just curious about Epic battery, I charge my phone all night and start using from 8 AM. It is pretty down to 15% or 20% around 4 PM. Here are my normal usages: 1 hour of Google Map driving to work; checking email 4 to 6 times (set to refresh every hour); total talk time maybe around 45 minutes; few texting; browse the web perhaps 20 some minutes. I turn off WiFi, live wallpaper, and pretty kill all the active tasks from Task Manager. The only two thing that I have running are World Weather widget and Sense Analog Clock. How long is your battery last with the similar usages?

183 REPLIES 183
Highlighted
Journeyman

Installing it is just a matter of connecting it to your internet router.

As far as cost, I think it was $99 (but you may be able to negotiate that...especially if you have like no signal in your own house despite twelve windows), it handles 3 devices, covers 5000 sq. feet.

If you are a Sprint customer then it comes to deciding on unbearability, wait for Sprint to add a tower near you, or get more bars...especially if you have no landline and this is your only phone. Or switch to another carrier but that will cost you more $99.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was on my Epic for one hour last night and had the charging cable plugged in. I was using the headset so I had the phone lying face up on the carpet. When I hung up the phone a dialog box popped up saying charging was stopped due to battery temperature. I fired up (pardon the pun) Spare Parts and it said the battery was 45.0ºC (113.0ºF). I haven't determined if it was because I had the charger plugged in, because the phone was lying on the carpet and heat could not escape or if something crazy was going on with the battery management.

Well, a little while after I lost all my email settings again (like the 4th time or so this has happened).

I will be getting a new phone and possibly a new carrier soon no matter what it costs in termination fees because these problems will never get resolved and if they did, by that time I will be thoroughly inconvenienced and or injured by this crazy phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have written a detailed blog post about how to get improved battery life for the Samsung Epic 4G.  I thought I would share it here since it seems like a common problem for many people on this forum:

http://jvoegele.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-improve-battery-life-for-samsung.html

Hope it helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A new record!  I took the phone off the charger about 6:45am this morning as I was going to work.  It was fully charged.  By 10:30am, it was giving me a low battery warning.  I made one phone call and send one text message.  I checked E-Mail maybe twice.  It just kills the battery as it spastically tries to get reception in my building.  How amazingly annoying.  And those constant tones telling me "you have reception", "you don't have reception", "you have reception", "you don't have reception", "you have reception", "you don't have reception", "you have reception", "you don't have reception"........  WTF!!

Sometimes I want to put this phone into a bench vise.  I really miss my Blackberry sometimes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got all excited about Android (after my outdated Palm OS phone literally and physically started to fall apart), about Samsung who made my previous favorite flip phone, but I was blinded by one never changing fact: Sprint. Their customer service has improved but they still are dead fred quiet on issues with their phones. Their phones never get fixed. How many people have to complain about this phone for them to acknowledge that a phone that they branded has issues or that they note that their customers have stated that their phone has issues? And push the manufacturer and the OS to join them in admitting the existance of the issues. And fix it?

Because at the end of the day, I'm not just going to abandon my Epic. I am going to be mad at Sprint for touting so loudly a defective phone. What good is Android if only a couple of phones out there (say Droid X...um, can't remember the other one) have just decent battery life? So I'm going to go to the most reliable phone and a carrier that at least publicly stands by the phone. That looks like Verizon and iPhone. Or maybe TMobile and some other Android.

Because as much as I HATE iPhone's closedness and Verizon's HIGH cost, at least both of them work reliably. And at the end of the day if I'm spending 20-30 hours a month trying to get the blasted phone working right, trying all these apps, writing emails on a forum, buying three and four charging cables, turning off or not using all my favorite apps so I can make it through a day, what is spending an extra $600 a year?

This phone sucks. Right now, the thing stopped going to sleep and I had to pull the battery and restart the phone to get it to work. It's crazy. My iPod Touch just works and it never hiccups. I don't like...just lose all my email settings one day. Or look and its at 45C...#@!& is this thing about to catch fire? Can't copy text from an email (am I missing something???). No soft reset (it needs it bad).

I hope 2.2 or whatever can make this thing work but right now it is one of the worst experiences I have ever had. Too much work.

</vent_off>

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Epic 4g ,coming off charge @ 6:30 lasts with normal usage till about 4:30 pm normal use I add, but on heavy days I plug it in.. (have mutiple chargers) i bought this phone to use 4g, nav, e/m, etc... some I don't turn anything off.... works just fine....just need more than one charger and or opps to recharge

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi,

How do you uninstall the Media Hub Update? Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

go to android market, and download the task killer, its saves a ton of battery!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's been quiet. Either everyone got their battery issues resolved or they all got rid of their Epics. LOL

I got a replacement Epic 4G last Sunday due to proximity sensor, battery and power button failures. On my new phone I use ATK only to kill the MediaHub DRM. I use Tasker to manually toggle Airplane Mode On for 10 seconds then Off. Finally I use Tasker again to turn on GPS for certain apps only.

The results? I have seen as well as 68% battery left after 16 hours (VERY GOOD). This is my 5th day and I feel it can definitely go 24 hours now.

One unresolved issue is that a couple of times it went into loops where it kept doing Media Scans. This took the battery down pretty quickly (it takes it down about 10-15% per hour if you don't stop it somehow). I still have to figure out what causes that but it is occasional and I am finally enjoying my phone. I still havent played music with it (I alway have my iPodTouch with me), TV shows or games but I feel better.

I am still going to investigate Droid Pro though...the Epic 4G keyboard is not the greatest. I realized that I hate landscape keyboards and I think I will like portrait mode better. I can only type about 15 words per minute on the landscape keyboard and there is no way to make it 'smart' like holding down a key to get the symbol or double click to Capitalize (my Treo and Centro phones could do that).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I havent posted in months because I have gotten all the batterys issued resolved and am really enjoying my Epic.  I followed all the posts and did what everyone suggested.  Plus, my son tweaked a few things. I am not a heavy user and many days I only text a few times, maybe a few phone calls and an internet search or two.  I quit running Aim Instant Messaging and just use the google talk or text which seems to have really helped.  Evidently, Aim drained the battery much more than google talk.  I check every once in a while to see if DRM or Media Hub is running and if it is , I kill it.  All of that said, I sometimes dont need to charge my phone for 2  days.  Last night, we played around with Qik (which was terrible by the way) and wound up downloading and using Tango .  There was an issue with downloading the app from the marketplace which had my son not been here to figure it out, I would never have known the problem was there since i dont use the marketplace much.It shouldnt have even been a problem (ug) but  the point  is,  after using it heavily for an hour or so video chatting with my daughter and playing around, my battery got really drained quickly.  But, I plugged her in and she charged right up after 30 minutes. All of that said, for my usage and purposes, and reliability, 2 days and sometimes 21/2 days of battery life is OK with me!  A lot of stand by time there but at least its not draining now while standing by .  By the way, my son showed me how to WiFi using my home computer internet service to route the Tango use (yeah I know, I am still learning) while at home and it was so much more reliable than through sprint. If anyone has perfected this video chat thing to where its more reliable let me know.  I would love to use it with my daughter since shes hearing impaired.  She has the epic also and last night she was able to tell her son goodnight by video (he spent the night with us) which was great.  However, trying to get the sign language motions to fit in the screen space was frustrating and fun.  Happy holiday and epic...ing to everyone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have some interesting data to report on Epic battery issues. I bought 3 for my family and flew to my parents house to deliver one to my father. Battery life while I was at home was decent but as soon as I arrived at my parents it took a nose dive. At one point I went from full to empty in 4 hours with no calls. I started to remove apps and alter every setting I could find. What was odd was my father didn't have the same issue on his phone and he could go the entire day. Both of us used 4g since he doesn't have wifi at his house.

Then I flew back home and was ready to return my phone when it suddenly started to last all day again. Right now I'm at 30% after 14hr and 15min from last charge. However, my father has the same issue I had and went from full to empty in 4 hours.

My only guess is it's the cell coverage. I've coached my father to NOW only use 4g when he needs it but it's my father and he isn't tech savvy. I'm really sad by all this since he does get a kick out of the phone but even he sees the futility of a phone that can't make it half a day.

One Sprint rep recommended that I switch my call settings -> system select -> sprint only and NOT automatic. I fear this may leave my father with no service if a Sprint tower is not found. Again, a cell phone that can't make calls is good why?

I took a risk getting this phone for my family and hoping it would work for my father while I wasn't there to help him. I fear now I've made a poor decision. If the problem is the cell tower reception then there isn't much I can do about it. My father can't understand how his ancient phone worked just fine with the same towers and I have to admit he has a point (assuming the towers are the issue).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually using 3g takes a lot more battery than wifi.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat