cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you have regretted buying the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: How many of you have regretted buying the Epic?

Well I certainly haven't. This phone is just plain bad ass. Much better than my crappy Iphone 3g from 2008 or my slow as dirt HTC Hero. BTW I am so glad I got this over the EVO. I can't stand SenseUI. I love TouchWiz 3.0 and the SAMOLED Screen. Plus being rooted is just icing on the cake.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i dont have ne friends with rooted androids but my friends with rooted iphones, some regret it and some dont. your thoughts?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really enjoy my Epic.  I haven't had a cell in 5 years (relying on landlines through cable packages) since I was back in college.  Now that I cut back on expenses (no cable), and since I was offered a corporate discount for signing with Sprint, I decided to go ALL out and picked the Epic up.

All this stuff is new to me.  The screen is great!  Coverage in Chicago is above average (although as a 4G city, it's tough to find it), Qik is my new best social network site, TV is sweet (but I rarely watch it), and the front-facing camera is cool, although I'd love to actually use it in a telephone conversation.

The latest update actually helped my battery life (and because I'm not slave to my phone, I extend its life by turning it off when I don't need it).  I can't wait for the Froyo update, though!

I still have 4 days to return (started service late Sept), but, no, I have no regrets buying the Epic.  I thought about the EVO, but (and I don't know if it can be changed) but the EVO display with the big, fat calendar turned me off aestheticly.  It seems too childish.  The Epic is kinda like an iPhone, I guess.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well you can do pretty much anything on it once it is rooted.

Install APKs that you wouldn't normally be able too.

Just do your research. I don't have any problems at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Epic is an amazing phone. I love the fact that is can play Quake 3 at 60 fps. There is no other phone than the Galaxy S phone that can do that. Battery life was bad but since the update it lasts the whole day no problem without me having to turn anything off. The slide out keyboard is great, the only thing I use (I hate swype, try it the first on my droid and the new ones aren't any better). I actually like TouchWiz (for the Epic it actually is advanced 2.5 not 3.0) unlike the other OEM ones. I would not trade it for anything right now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I havn't regretted buying it, the phone is awesome for the most part.  There are a few things I wish they would fix.

1. The screen does not have a timeout when it is plugged in.

2. The battery charged notification wakes me up every morning around 3am because it is a bright **** night light that cannot be disabled.

3. A solid red LED is used to show charging and a flashing red LED is used for notifications, someone really thought that through.  I would like to know if there is a notification when the battery is charging without turning the screen back on.

4. The battery meter icon is worthless, I would think there is a way to give a percentage estimate when the menu is pulled down.  I installed a battery meter app, but why, this should be a basic feature for any smartphone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic owner since day one here.   Evo was still on backorder so there wasn't really a choice.  In truth, I  prefer the Epic because I'm old & used to a physical keyboard.   Also knew I was going to keep this phone for a while so I wanted  something with 4G. The display is as beautiful as everyone says it is, and the voice  everything plan is cheaper than a comparable Verizon plan.   The Epic has  come in handy- I even saved 80 bucks at the car rental  when they were going to give me a different rate from what I booked.  I  was able to show them my confirmation email and they honored it.

Cons- 
Thicker because of the keyboard than the Evo, but about the same weight.
Battery life is pretty poor, however device management (GPS,  Bluetooth, Wifi turned on only as needed) & moderate internet use  can stretch it out to 10-14 hours. 
GPS is slow to acquire satellites and accuracy is limited to 98  feet. There are workarounds to initializing the GPS components faster,  hoping 2.2 Froyo improves the accuracy.
Unknown date of Android OS upgrade to 2.2 Froyo.  HTC Evo just got it.
Could not assign custom ringtones to contacts.  Have a work around to this.
Could not assign a custom ringtone to SMS messages.  Have a work around to this.

$10 surcharge for 4G phones such as the Epic & Evo.  Not so bad  for me as my home market is one of the 4G areas, maybe an issue for  folks in a 3G only market.
Epic's 4G components use a lot of juice trying to find a 4G network.  Between my home in a 4G area and work (only 30 miles away) in a 3G, I  normally turn off 4G in the morning to conserve the battery.

Overall I'm a content Epic camper, but not happy. Having constant internet access has been a game-changer, but my usage habits  had to change in order to get the most out of the Epic.   No one likes  that, it's a little like being married! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have regrets and I don't.  I am happy with battery life, as I use the phone primarily as a phone and to google but neither function extensivley.  For the most part it is on standby and the bat lasts around three days without recharging.  However, the lack of GPS drives me nuts!  I am seriously thinking of returning the phone for that reason alone.  The reason I haven't is the qwerty keyboard, which the EVO doesn't have.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Epic does have GPS... It's really easy to activate... Click on the top notification bar and click on the GPS icon... Easy as pie...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wrong!  I know how to invoke the GPS,  it never gets a lock.  Do an internet search on "Epic GPS" to see how widespread this problem is.  Know your facts before you post, please.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the charging problems JAB is having, I solved it just by fliping my phone over at night, no LED or screen to bug me.

As far a custom ringtone for each contact, it is posible. You have to select the one you want and chose "Edit" and under email you will see it. For Facebook/Twitter contacts you have to add in a Google contact as well to be able to edit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do not at all regret buying the Epic.  I love it.  The battery life was not great at first, but I've found out how to improve it and wrote a blog post about it:

http://jvoegele.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-improve-battery-life-for-samsung.html

The one thing that I'm not happy about is that the connection between the screen and slide-out keyboard is somewhat loose and I fear it will get worse over time.  Other than that, though, I absolutely love this phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat