cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downgrade from stock 2.2.1 to stock 2.1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am currently on stock 2.1 eclair and I was thinking about upgrading to 2.2.1 froyo using the update.zip file and I wanted to know how would I be able to downgrade back to eclair if I was not satisfied with froyo. Thank you in advance.

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Yes, you would be able to go back to stock after update. Just look for youtube videos for visual explanations. They're pretty good.

Journeyman

When ever I go to youtube I find videos of how to upgrade the epic. But when I look to downgrade I find videos of how to downgrade the captive and not the epic. Would it be the same steps and files?

Journeyman

Re: How to downgrade from stock 2.2.1 to stock 2.1.

Just like you need the file to install 2.2 you would need the 2.1 file to install. The procedure is basically the same for either one.

There is a good write up on how to flash with Odin here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S/SPH-D700#Odin_Stock_Flashing

Scrool down to "Odin Stock Flashing "

Journeyman

Wouldnt that be considered rooting your phone? And then it wouldnt be stock anymore?

Journeyman

It is possible, I'm not sure. But this might help:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/60768-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-pho...

Just read the whole thing carefully. 

Journeyman

As far as I know, So long as you use the stock SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 file you will be back to stock 2.1

Journeyman

Since it says "back to stock", is it possible that they lose the previliges, do you think?

Journeyman

It does say "full return to stock" on line 5 doesn't it.

Journeyman

What previliges are you talking about?

Journeyman

Access to the root 

Journeyman

Can't flashing and having access to the root void your warranty with sprint and samsung?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat