cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop getting error msg when texting

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a BlackBerry prior and had not issues with texting.  Late April I decided I wanted to upgrade and purchased the Samsung Epic from Best Buy.   Everything started out great the 1st week.  Then all of a sudden one afternoon all texts I sent to my husband were returned to me with the following error message:  Msg 2114 "Message sent using invalid number of digits.  Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code."     I couldn't figure it out because it only affected my texting to him, so I went to the Sprint Store to ask for Help.  The staff there identified that my phone was dropping the area code when I texted my husband even though my contact contained the complete 10 digit phone number.  It was only a problem when I texted him.  When I called him it would dial the whole number.   The Sprint Store staff deleted him from my contacts and reentered but it didn't work. They typed in his number as if it was a new text message and everything seemed to go okay until my husband responded and then I couldn't text him back without getting the error message.  They encouraged me to contact the support staff by phone at Sprint because they have never seen the problem before.  

I went home and called Sprint - they were worthless.  The lady didn't even know what I was talking about.  She had me turn on and off my phone, had me delete and reenter my husbands contact info and several other things only to tell me that it was a software issue with my phone and that I was to take it back to get a new phone.    So I returned to Best Buy a few days later, the staff there was great because they were very familiar witht his problem with Samsung Epic and a couple other models.   They completed a system update and tried multiple system processes to correct the issue but was never able too so evently a new phone was given. 

The new phone seemed to work okay for about 2 weeks then the problem started again- with only my husbands number (who has a Blackberry with Sprint).  This was an issue for 1 day then it appeared to go away until about 1 week ago and now it is worse than ever.   Research I've done appears this is a wide spread problem that many users experience with Android phones especially the Samsung Epic, so how the support teams don't know about it -confuses me.

My question is HOW DO I FIX IT & KEEP IT FIXED? 

I haven't found any resources online that give a positve outcome for this issue.  Can anyone here help me?   I like the features of the phone but if I can't text the person I need to communicate with the most what is the point.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
Sprint Employee

Hello myersc5971, I agree this can be a perplexing problem, one of a few things will cause this. most assume that it must be either 7 or 11 digit number entered into a contact, but in my experience it is more often caused by casually dialing a person's number as 7 digits, less often this can be caused by the other person setting their sms "from number" as 7 digits and some replys in the conversation are sending to a 7 digit number instead of the contact number, android will correlate a 7 digit number in call log or sms conversation to an existing contact bearing a 10 digit number that contains those 7 digits.

with that said, and in short, to test this I would suggest first use an app from the market called handy backup to backup your call log, and sms to sd card. Then I would clear the call log, delete his contact, then delete his conversation in messaging. after this I would ask him to send you text message to see if his from address include exactly 10 digits, then try replying to his message, if that works well then readd his contact. do you recall ever just dialing his number as 7 digits to call him? do you use a bluetooth device which may have done this?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I have this same problem,  I have tried all the fixes on here and the problem continues.  Mine too is only with my husbands number.  I have deleted everything associated with the number and still the problem continues.  The problem started for me when I updated my phone in March when the new update came out, I can only assume it has to do with that update.

Sprint Employee

did you try the process in the second paragraph following the steps exactly as laid out? at which point to you notice a problem?

Journeyman

Yes, I have tried it also, several different times and nothing changes.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tips.  I have done all of these steps including turning off phone and removing battery.  Next I had my huband text me as you suggested but only his 7 digit number came up.   Again I walked through all the steps and this time reentered him into gmaail and sync'd him to my contacts that way. While his contact shows 10 digit number it only translate to 7 when I text him so again I'm getting the error messages.

To be honest I may have accidently dialed his number using only 7 digits in the past when calling him.  

How do I fix the problem now?  I've read online some people suggest an app for texting to correct the problem but I'm not certain how that would help.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again fo your help. 

Sprint Employee

Re: How to stop getting error msg when texting

if you have cleared the call log, deleted his contact, and deleted his messaging conversation and as soon as he send you an sms you see only his 7 digit number this indicates he has changed settings in his phone to have caused this, which model of Blackberry does your husband use?

Message was edited by: RC1024

Journeyman

Re: How to stop getting error msg when texting

RC1024 wrote:

if you have cleared the call log, deleted his contact, and deleted his messaging conversation and as soon as he send you an sms you see only his 10 digit number this indicates he has changed settings in his phone to have caused this, which model of Blackberry does your husband use?

Did you mean 7 digit number? This would make sense, especially if he was on Nextel??. Sounds to me like his phone is set up without the area code. Its return address would be 7 and not 10 digits and any newer phone would not be able to Reply SMS to a 7 digit number.  He may have to change his settings to always use the 10 digits.

Sorry, I dont mean to sound confusing. Just trying to help.

Message was edited by: RSPC

Sprint Employee

Yes, My mistake. I mean to say while his contact is not there, has no sms conversation, and the call log is empty, if his text to you shows a 7 digit number then his phone is the source of this problem.

Journeyman

No worries, I understood what you meant.   My husband has the BlackBerry Curve 3G model 9330.   He is also on Sprint the same as I am.   After your question I had him check his settings and he confirmed his phone number is listed with all 10 digits so area code + his 7 digit phone number.   When he calls me on a work or home phone the caller ID pops up with all 10 Digits.  When he calls my cell phone his number pops up with all 10 Digits (this includes when he has called me after his full contact info was deleted from my phone so it is not just pulling it in from my contacts) but as soon as he texts me only 7 digits.  

He just spent an hour on the phone with Sprint regarding my issue and they acted so surprized to learn about there being issues and thought he was crazy because they don't have a clue what we are talking about even though this problem is reported all over the internet and vendors like Best Buy know all about it. They keep saying it is a software problem and encouraged us to take the phone back and even after explaining to them that we have already done that 2 weeks after I bought the original phone and the problem corrected itself and then started again after 2 weeks and continues; their answer is still to take the phone back and get a new every time which is just silly.  There only other suggestion was to call the Manufacturer of the phone - not certain how that helps either. 

I just can't find a reasonable answer as to why this continues to do this even after deleted him out of my system in every way and verifying his settings are set correctly.   Is there somewhere else within the phone that maybe storing this incorrect info that wouldn't be obvious?   

Sprint Employee

so when he goes to his text messages, click menu>options he sees his 10 digit number for the "callback number"? has he had anybody mention to him that his text message show a number without the area code? I do want to make sure you are aware that sprint is researching the matter, and will be implementing a solution to prevent this situation in an upcoming software update. and as far as your phone is concerned you may check for and remove any downloaded apps that deal with sms, contacts, or caller ID.

Journeyman

Was a fix ever found for this problem?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat