cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm confused regarding Android 2.2 update, backups and rooting

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a new Sprint Epic 4G.  I'm reasonably technical, but have no desire to spend time (and risk) hacking my phone.  I've read on forums about the Android 2.2 update to the Epic.  I'll wait for Samsung/Sprint to re-release it and get it OTA... just to be safe.

However, I've read a lot about completely backing up your phone before updating.  Backing up EVERYTHING to your SD card.  And, many of the outside forums recommend software to do this.  A lot of this software requires rooting your phone to gain access to EVERYTHING to back it all up.  But, then they talk about how rooting can void the warranty on your phone, is not supported by the manufacturer, and can open up problems you need to get yourself out of.

I don't really want to get into this mess.  But, I'm still confused.

What is the officially supported procedure for the OTA Android 2.2 update, when it is made available again?  What is the official method to use for backing up EVERYTHING?  I want to do this update and have my phone in exactly the state it was in before I updated.  And, be safe and have the support of Sprint if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the help for a new user! 

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Someone suggested "Astro File Manager" from the Market. It's an awesome backup/restore program. Maybe you can check into that?!

Sprint Product Ambassador

A rooted phone will back up the application settings - logins, passwords etc.  Using backup software such as My Backup Pro will back up the application installer files but not the settings.  All other data - layout, call logs, SMS messages, calendar, email, contacts are all backed up.  I've used and had very good luck with My Backup Pro from the market.

The OTA update *should* just update the changed files without erasing anything on your phone.  If something goes wrong, you may have to reset your phone -- thus a good and current backup is recommended.  Back in the bad old days of 9 months ago, the updates from Android 1.5 to 2.0 on the Hero and similar would erase the phone to update it.  We've progressed beyond that now.

Unless you are very technically inclined, and have a spare phone, and are willing to 'brick' your phone, I would avoid trying to root your phone.

Sprint may not work on, replace, update or warranty rooted phones.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: I'm confused regarding Android 2.2 update, backups and rooting

Astro File Manager is just backing up installed apps. How do I do the email accounts.. back up?

Journeyman

Maybe Titanium will do that for you cuz it has choices like that

Journeyman

Wengla02, thanks for the informative reply.  I've got a few more questions.  You seem to know what's going on and understand that I'm not going to be one of these people that roots my phone, installs special ROMs and all that other stuff.  It's too bad.  I've read posts aboput how people have doubled their battery life by replacing some of the Epic software.  I just don't have the time to mess with that.

Ok, my desire is to back up EVERYTHING before I let Sprint do the OTA Froyo update to my phone.  Application settings, passwords, application installer files, layout, call logs, SMS messages, claendar, email, contacts.  (I'm copying all these words from your reply).

What is the software/combination of software/procedures that I might use to do ALL of this?  If I have to root my phone to do it, I would probably put up with temporary rooting.  I want to do as much as possible that is OFFICIALLY supported by Sprint.

And, if I read you correctly, waiting for the Sprint OTA update "should" not change or lose anything on my phone, right?  Backing up "should" not be necessary at all.  Not that I'm dumb enough to rely on that.

And, thanks again for the help.

Journeyman

If all you need is to back up your phone (including data/contacts), use Titanium. It is a very user friendly program I'm sure you'll love.

Journeyman

Thanks.  Does Titanium require rooting?  Will temporary rooting do or does it require permanent?

Journeyman

Yes, it needs rooting. If temporary - don't bother with it. Maybe you can check "Phone Manager", which is a back up to your PC by USB, instead of SD card. Otherwise, search for 'backup' in the Market and pick the one that suites you best (paying special attention to their features).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat