Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-Call volume on Epic after Gingerbread update

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

We have 2 Samsung Epic 4G phones.  Both received the update to Gingerbread last week and both phones are now having volume issues - when talking on the phone, the in-call volume is on the lowest setting, and it sounds like the other person is yelling into the phone.  I called customer service today, I have an appt at a service center tomorrow, but just wondering if this issue is happening to others?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

I have the exact same problem on my Epic. The in-call volume is not adjustable at all, and when I'm on the phone I have to hold it 1-2 inches away from my ear. It says it's on the lowest setting, but my callers sound like they're shouting after the Gingerbread update.

Journeyman

Same thing here guys! Need a fix for this quickly b 4 I become deaf!

Wizard

What u can do is trun the in call volume all the way up and then trun it down to your level that u want to hear i have a Epic4G that what i did to my and it works.

Wizard

Re: In-Call volume on Epic after Gingerbread update

We have received reports of this, one of our retail technicians posted a similar work around to what nas35 posted, it appears that there may be an issue with adjusting the volume level with the proximity sensor engaged, so try pulling the phone away from your ear for a few seconds until it's disengaged then turning the volume all the way up and then back down. According to some of the reports it appears the volume gets stuck at a high level even if it's showing being set to low. Let me know if this worked for you please.

Journeyman

We also have two of them and the same problem on both.

Wizard

HAGUEA,

Have you tried the work around I posted above?

Journeyman

Both my husband and I have Epic 4G phones and after the Gingerbread update and my husband's phone was doing the same thing, I could hear his calls from accross the room without speaker turned on. I want to thank Shane_M for his fix.   It took three tries but it finally took. I don't think we were holding away long enough to disengage the proximity sensor. The first try actually reversed the function of the volume button. Before trying Shane_M 's fix the volume button did nothing, after the first attempt when it said it was on low it was very loud when it said it was on high, it was very soft. The second attempt did nothing. On our third and final attempt we dialed the number holding the phone away from anything that could engage the proximity sensor then turned the volume all the way up and then all the way down. That did the trick

Thank You Shane_M you saved us a trip to the Sprint Service Center!!!

Journeyman

Thanks Shane_M.  Your "fix" worked on both of our Epics!

Many Thanks!

Psody

Journeyman

Does anyone know if Sprint is looking into this?  It is very irritating.

Journeyman

Wow, I wish I had seen this earlier! I just performed a factory reset on my phone, which also fixes the problem. I was hoping this would also take care of the GPS lock issue but it hasn't.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat