cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

I have gone from over 20 hours on a charge to less than 6....that's a 70% reduction in performance.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Master

First question - Go to Menu>>Settings>>AboutPhone>>   scroll down to Baseband Version   Does it end in EC05?

Have you noticed any other operational issues with the device?  Is it trying to go to Roaming?  Are any of the applications giving you Force Close screens? 

If you have a number that I can call you at I would like to set up an time to contact you.  Please PRIVATE MESSAGE me with contact info so I can try to find out why this is occurring on your device.  My wife has the Epic and has no issues after the upgrade but I have seen and talked to others with severe changes after the update.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Larry

Sprint Advanced Tech Support

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, EC05

No force closes....well, ok, there was one a couple days ago, but I updated that app

it's on automatic roaming, but I have an airvana unit so the connection is Sprint

i have disabled and uninstalled all widgets except for a weather app and a news app over whcih I can control the interval.

No major performance issues, except the phone froze up this morning when disconnecting from charger - wouldn't respond to the power button on the body, had to pull the battery to restart.

Journeyman

blue_Shift wrote:

I have gone from over 20 hours on a charge to less than 6....that's a 70% reduction in performance.

Goto Settings > About Phone > Battery Use....and see what's eating up your battery. Sometimes there maybe apps running in the background that you're not aware of and you can stop them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed that the Froyo restored some of my settings to factory default. (i.e. I turn off all virtual input method services, keep brightness at low, etc.) Some unwanted services turned back on but this may be due to rebooting the phone in general. What I've listed don't account for a 70% decrease by any means, but it puts a dent in performance.

I've seen a decrease in battery life myself but not so pronounced...from being able to idle for 6 days to maybe being able to idle 4.5-5. (before restoring my settings) The froyo update might be taxing some optional service or widget. Maybe you should try disabling said some services or removing some widgets as an experiment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes!  Before the update, I could use the hot spot and the phone would still charge and eventually the blue light and message would come up to unplug the phone. Now it won't charge at all while using the hot spot.

When I check battery usage, it says 97% display and 2% standby.   This is extremely inconvenient, because I have to turn off the hot spot and not work for at least an hour before I can unplug my phone and go anywhere.

I thought I would add that my screen is off all day, so there is NO display to burn up my battery life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the battery use 'monitor' shows what it has always shown: screen, phone idle, cell standby....my screen has been off most of the day, and either 10% or 30% at all other times. And it is on the charger now for the second time today.

Highlighted
Journeyman

have removed all but two widgets-one of which is on manual refresh, the other a news reader that is on a 3-hour interval.

Gmail is, of course, normal - i use this phone for business.

UPDATE: I am grateful for all the helpful pointers. Just to update all of you so far:

since I mistakenly clicked 'accept' on the Froyo OTA push, the only thing that has changed is that gmail is now fully functional....and my battery now drains 3x as fast. There are no unusual things running in the background that weren't running before the update. Furthermore, I have uninstalled several apps, am using my phone half as much, and leaving my screen settings on 'dark' and 'darker.'

UPDATE to the update: 10 minute phone call on a fresh battery....lost 1/3 of the charge.

How do I go back to 2.1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

check your "running applications" also. Do you run apps like Facebook, Yahoo Msgr, etc on it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too had an experience with poor battery performance and lock up. Old firmware would have had ~ 70% battery remaining on a typical day for me, now I had only 40%.  Using the car charger on the way home and with very low cell signal in my driveway,  I unplugged the car charger and got a very slow input response from the device.  I started to close programs (was only running Google navigation) and running services IQ Agent service, OMADRMConfigService, Downloadmanager,etc.  Not until I plugged in the phone on the house charger and was on my airvana cell did things recover.  It would seem that either plugging or unplugging the charger caused the slow down or low signal and data reporting to the sprint system. Comments anyone?  I have also noticed that using the car charger with Google navigation running, takes a fully charged phone at 95% and 30min of continuous use leave me with 87% remaining.  Car charger is rated for 1A.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I had this problem in conjunction with my Exchange calendar not syncing from last Thursday til yesterday morning.  Tech Support in India said that they had to hard reset the phone and were going to do that when she said "just a moment" and shortly thereafter the call was disconnected.  The phone wasn't hard reset so I don't know if it fixed itself the previous overnight, or she pushed something down.  The only other thing did was connect my phone via USB to a PC for moving some files.  It would seem to be ridiculous of that fixed it but all I know is that calendar syncs and battery is normal again. 

Another Sprint agent I spoke with said that hard resetting tended to fix problems caused by the update.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Some metrics (phone on wifi, all sync'd apps uninstalled, most visible background services and tasks killed):

• After full charge signal came on, from 100% battery let idle for 15 minutes. Without ever turning on the screen, the battery lost 3% on idle, which extrapolates out to 8 hours....if you don't use the phone at all.
  • Recharged. Made a 45-second phone call, and lost 3% in only 45 seconds. Which works out to a mere 24 minutes of available talk time.

This  update has turned my Epic 4G into a paperweight. I'm either going to be  forced to see if a root will let me find and kill whatever invisible, unmanageable  services are running in the background....or I will have to de-activate  the Epic and reactivate my old flip phone.

(cross-posted from another thread in this conversation, with a few edits added.)

[fyi: Sprint is monitoring this thread and they have been responsive.one of the reasons i have been with sprint for 14 years.]

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat