cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Let me take this up one more notch. Bear with me here. Been having an issue not being able to update profile, firmware or PRL. Get either Unknown Error or Internal error. This was prior to the upgrade which went ok on my phone. Subsequently called CS and they had me do the factory reinstall on the phone which got rid of any app I had. That's another problem that has yet to be resolved. Know folks were having issues with this pre update.

Down loaded ATK and ES file manager, Yahoo Mail and set up a Sprint ID for ESPN. So for the most part, my phone is pretty much bare. Through manage apps, I force close anything I don't need like Yahoo, Asphalt 5 (what a joke!!!!), GMail, SprintZone etc and i keep Sync off until i go to gmail or yahoo mail and will turn it back off when I'm done. Oh, and I sleep the phone when not using it. Still, doing all this, battery life is 70% gone by 4-6 hours with minimal calling/texting/surfing.

Phone has not been rooted if it makes a diff. I'm not a power user or chained to the phone at all times. Really frustrating. First smart phone i've owned. Had an old Samsung Rugby that would hold a charge for days so this is really blowing me away. I realize that to run this OS will tax your phone but we've gone from bad (pre-update) to worse (post-update)....

Another thing, noticed that the phone temp is noticeably hotter now when being charged....

Any help would be more than welcomed....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure this helps but give it a try.  I went into the email account setup for each of my 4 email accounts being synced.  I changed the frequency of delivery to something other than the current setting (went up from 15 to 30min delivery). Battery life significantly improved. 87% with average use at noon today where yesterday it was at 45%. I not sure this is similar to the complaint of default ring tone changing and reseting fixes it.  I'm going to set it back to the 15min to see if the drain increases dramatically. This may not be a fix just someting I noticed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

USKATTS1, where do i make thaty change on the phone? I use yahoo and gmail an could not find where i could make that change.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Press and hold the email account that you want to change from the main account screen. A pop up will give you 5 choices. Select Account settings, then email check frequency.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same problem with terrible battery life after the update. Can't even make it 8 hours without needing a charge. Previously I could go for 15 plus hours, with 4G on. Now, I have 3G/4G off, my email connections closed, and I'm barely making it through 6 hours with maybe 10 minutes on calls. The battery use shows nothing dramatically different than before the update.

I did notice that Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender Apps were not as effective, so I did uninstall them.

Is there a way to go back to 2.1 so I can have my battery life back? Or is there a way to fix this drain?

Highlighted
Journeyman

One piece of advice I received was to a Sprint service store/center and have them flash the phone on site. You will lose your apps and settings though. I went to the store and instead, the tech made some settings changes to some background services...it's not as good as 2.1, but it's better....and the phone isn't bleeding power the way it was. Until I went and did that, my phone was essentially a landline since it has been on life support, hooked to an i.v. -- er, wall outlet, since the update.

: )

Journeyman

USKATTS1, sorry but could you be more specific than main accounts?

From home screen that wont work. From menu>applications>manage applications, i dont get a pop like you describe.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tonycosio39 wrote:

From home screen that wont work. From menu>applications>manage applications, i dont get a pop like you describe.

What USKATTS1 means is click on the Email icon to open. From here you click on the Menu > More > Account Settings.

Here you can change the Frequency to your taste/liking. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

robbiedoo2001 wrote:

tonycosio39 wrote:

What USKATTS1 means is click on the Email icon to open. From here you click on the Menu > More > Account Settings.

Here you can change the Frequency to your taste/liking. 

Robbie, thanks. Yahoo mail is really basic so the settings are not that granular. Gmail has a setting that lets you dial back the days that certain folders sync. i did remove ATK.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Both my fiance and I have Epic phones - and prior to the update, keeping syncs and other battery-hogging things off unless needed, and using ATK to manage those magic apps that keep turning themselves on ........ we had minor battery issues.

Now with the update......... batteries don't last a full day.  As others have stated, 6 to 8 hours with average use is about all they are getting.

I hope someone in charge is monitoring this because we are BOTH seriously considering changing to some other phone - and maybe service all together.  I LOVE my Epic but if I can't use it without it being plugged in, it's worthless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

LADYHARLEY85 wrote:

Both my fiance and I have Epic phones - and prior to the update, keeping syncs and other battery-hogging things off unless needed, and using ATK to manage those magic apps that keep turning themselves on ........ we had minor battery issues.

Now with the update......... batteries don't last a full day.  As others have stated, 6 to 8 hours with average use is about all they are getting.

I hope someone in charge is monitoring this because we are BOTH seriously considering changing to some other phone - and maybe service all together.  I LOVE my Epic but if I can't use it without it being plugged in, it's worthless.

It's possible that you have Facebook, Yahoo Messenger or things like that logged in all the time. If so, keep them logged off until you need them. Also, you can uninstall some of the Spring bloatware that you really don't use. And ATK is an unnecessary program (in my opinion). It seems like no matter how many times you kill the aps they just keep coming back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wound up at a Sprint repair center today - and he was quite frank in stating that there are battery issues with this update. He made some setting adjustments in various places that came just short of turning my Epic into a very expensive flip phone only without the flip feature. But that isn't why I bought this phone. The fact is, I used to get 20 hours on a charge with careful but normal use. Even with the adjustments, I will end the day at 12 hours (including half an hour in the car dock).

And yes, Sprint is watching this forum and this thread. One hopes that the software engineers are working feverishly to find out what patch(es) of errant code might be causing this problem. One also hopes they figure this out soon.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat