cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

I have gone from over 20 hours on a charge to less than 6....that's a 70% reduction in performance.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel like Paul Reever, 12 o'clock and all is well !!!!!!!!

After charging the phone overnight, battery blue light was on and indicator said battery is full. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and inidicator said 98% full. I know that was an issue someone reported and most of us concurred. Let it get full again and went through the same thing and this time it said 99% full. Sorry but i did not have enoguh time to play around with it to see if it would ever get to 100% after unplugging and re-connecting. I wish i would have tried thios on Eclair to see if the problem was related to upgrade or if this is just a bug in general with the Epic (anyone out there on eclair that wants to validate please chime in). i brain farted and wanted to update that i forgot about trying the battery thing on Eclair.

It's been 5 and a half hours of a couple of calls (one for about 15 mins and the other for about 10) a few texts sprinkled in and i still have a full battery. Granted the use is minimal but compared to the previous phone, this is quite and improvement as with roughly the same use, i would have been 1/4 down on battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update:  Being impatient, I had updated my Epic to 2.2 a few months ago and it's been eating at my battery life since.  I learned recently that my phone did not take the update that Sprint sent down in late March with Sprint ID.  So I located, downloaded and installed it just last week.  Still battery life was poor.  So at my son's recommendation, I downloaded and installed Juice Defender.  It has worked like a miracle!  I know it's pretty much just killing tasks when they are not being used... like it shuts off my wifi, etc. when the phone is idle.  Which is fine.  It hasn't interferred at all with my normal use of the phone.  I made it through an entire day yesterday and only half my battery life was gone by the time I went to bed last night.  Amazing!    I'm once again happy with my Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its killing my battery!  I have gone to Email and changed the frequency it syncs to 'Never".  Also, set phone in power saving mode.  Display is set to automatic.  I used to go a day and half using the phone casually.  Now...when i start my day (700am) with phone fully charged...it is depleted by 1200pm.  That is only 4 hours and it is idle for 90% of the time (im at work, hence the long idle periods).  I also have numerous 'Force Close' isssues.  Going to the local Sprint store does not help as they have no idea.  Can't revert back to 2.1 since hard reset only reverts back to 2.2.   EB13 was a nightmare....EC05 maybe 1 or 2 issues caused by EB13 (namely: the vidoe recorder). Other than that, it still does not funciton as 2.1 did.  IF IT AINT BROKE, why did you have to break it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have cr@p battery life. It is attributed to the Gallery application using the sensor non-stop, even when the app isn't running (referencing the "Managing Applications" setting).

If you want to confirm what is using up your battery here are three methods to do so:

1. Spare Parts: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androidapps.spare_parts
  2. BatteryHistory: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.blogspot.aidizen.batteryHistory
  3. Dial the following code on your phone: *#4636*1111#   Then select the Battery History menu.

BatteryHistory (#2 above) is my preferred application/method to access this menu. By default it shows "other usage," if you see your running % very high then something is preventing your phone from sleeping, therefore will eat battery.

For those who have their "running" % high, click on the top drop-down menu and select "Partial wake usage". This menu will display which application(s) have been preventing your system from sleeping. From there it's up to you to change settings w/ the respective application to fix the issue.

For my issue, I pressed the top drop-down menu and selected "Sensor usage". Here is where I saw the Gallery application at nearly 100%. Clicking on the bar will display the time it's been active. Outside of doing a reset and deleting all my data, there is no way to fix this problem. I've tried clearing cache & data for the Gallery and still nothing. Last troubleshooting process I'll do is back up my SD card and format it. If that doesn't fix the issue then I have to reset the phone.

If you don't see anything eating up your battery from either of these menus, then make sure you don't have the time without signal bug. (Settings > About Phone > Battery Use > Cell Standby) If your "TWS" is ~ 50%, then you have it. To fix this stupid bug, just toggle Airplane mode after each reboot. This bug basically has the phone constantly searching for a GSM radio signal, even though our phone is CDMA. Toggling Airplane mode resets the radio to only search for CDMA.

Hope these steps help others.

Highlighted
Master

Use the code listed above at your own risk - I have seen simple codes for diagnostics that are posted on XDA Developer website cause operating system problems with devices - just a warning!  I am not being critical of nikon120 I just want everyone to be cautious.

• Dial the following code on your phone: *#4636*1111#   Then select the Battery History menu.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, everyone should research information before doing any actions on their device. There is a thread over on XDA forums with a complete listing of all the Epic dialer codes, which gives access to hidden menus within Android. The mentioned code directly accesses the hidden (read only) battery statistics menu. I won't directly link to that thread, as that website is meant for advanced users. If you're curious, then Google search a bit.

The two applications I linked to actually utilize those dialer codes and wrap it within an application for faster access.

• Spare Parts is a more in-depth application with access to many other hidden menues within Android. This application opens access to some settings that could cause your phone to act up, but settings can be changed back without hassle.
  • BatteryHistory is actually just 1 part of Spare Parts, or a single dialing code to access a particular menu; in this case the battery statistics menu. This menu is a read only view, and the reason why I recommend it.

For what it is worth, I have used the code and both applications with no ill effects to my phone. I probably should have prefaced my original post with this information. Good looking out though OKIESTRO. Cheers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can barely get thru a night with a charge on my Epic ever since the upgrade.  I've turned off all syncing and uninstall alot of apps and tried all of the suggestions in this thread but I still barely get 8 hrs. of stand-by.  Will Sprint release a fix or roll-back?  What's the point of a cell phone if it has to stay corded?

Highlighted
Journeyman

tonycosio39 wrote:

I feel like Paul Reever, 12 o'clock and all is well !!!!!!!!

After charging the phone overnight, battery blue light was on and indicator said battery is full. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and inidicator said 98% full. I know that was an issue someone reported and most of us concurred. Let it get full again and went through the same thing and this time it said 99% full. Sorry but i did not have enoguh time to play around with it to see if it would ever get to 100% after unplugging and re-connecting. I wish i would have tried thios on Eclair to see if the problem was related to upgrade or if this is just a bug in general with the Epic (anyone out there on eclair that wants to validate please chime in). i brain ****** and wanted to update that i forgot about trying the battery thing on Eclair.

It's been 5 and a half hours of a couple of calls (one for about 15 mins and the other for about 10) a few texts sprinkled in and i still have a full battery. Granted the use is minimal but compared to the previous phone, this is quite and improvement as with roughly the same use, i would have been 1/4 down on battery.

I also use the dialer code for battery usage and it works well and gives you some good info. Like Nikon 120 said, Google dialer code for epic and you'll get some hits but "user beware".

Update on the above. Yesterday with light to moderate use, I was able to go 15 hours plus on a charge. I am not a power user that needs to be plugged in constantly and yesterday was one of those days. Reception where I work is weak at best. Most times I will go outside for phone calls. Did about 10 phone calls, some light texting and browsing e/mail (mostly when i got home and then went to wi-fi).

Today I up'd the anty and did about 45 mins of surfing/e-mail with downloads and about the same amount of texting and calls i did yesterday and by 1:30 p.m., I'm down to 30% of battery left in a 7 hour window. Went to a few sights like adroidcentral and XDA forums to further educate myself on battery life and usage in general.

Without being condescending to anyone here on this forum or appearing crass to everyone who is having worse battery problems than I am, it is what it is. I'm fortunate because I had my Epic replaced and the replacement phone works better than the older version. In a family of 5 phones, four are EVO's and mine is the EPIC strictly because of my good experience with 3 other Samsung phones (non-droid, bricks if you will ). I am in the same ball park with the EVO's when i compare their battery life and they probably bang away a bit more than i do but the difference in neglible. My battery life is not nearly as bad as the 2.2 update i had on the other phone nor like some of the other folks who have posted here but there were other issues with the phone which caused it to be replaced.

Because of the inherent "niceties" of these phones on top of the bloatware that Sprint and other carriers throw on, don't expect to get a whole heck of a lot of battery time on these especially of you are a power user. I've spoken with folks that have I-phones and other Droid phones and they charge up to two or three times a day. As they say, it's part of the cost of doing business. Alternative is root the phone and you can extend the battery life by removing bloatware and tweaking (which I am strongly considering) the phone to use less battery. Down side of that, it voids the warranty. If you want better battery, get a blackberry but don't expect all the other niceties you get from other smart phones, otherwise, have a few chargers at your disposal to use and enjoy the phone.

If 2.2 is wreaking havoc on your phone and you don't want to deal with it, go raise hell to Sprint and demand to be put back on 2.1. But remember, you'll go alot further with honey and sugar than with piss and vinegar . Good luck to all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I conducted a hard reset of my phone yesterday after daily frustration of decreased battery life. After the hard reset I only added apps and widgets that I used before the update, in other words, I have not installed any Sprint ID packs. My battery life was much improved today. I would say that it is pretty much the same than before the OTA update. I also noticed that I still need to switch to airplane mode after turning the phone on in order to fix that problem. While it is a pain to completely start over with apps and setups on your phone, it did improve my battery life substantially.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@tonycosio39: the hard reset does get rid of all your apps - it should have made your phone like the day it was when you brought it home from the store. Two things will sync back up immediately: gmail (when you re-establish your account) and then paid apps on Android Market. Though the conventional wisdom is that wifi uses less battery than 3G, the Samsung manual (and my own experience) tell me otherwise - my battery lasts much longer when left on 3G (I have a very strong signal). I got rid of ATK and Juice Defender, and now use Battery Doctor, which has a full cycle charge mode, a task killer, and provides access to a lot of settings.

I long ago set up all of my email accounts through gmail (including outlook, yahoo and pop3 accounts) - I let the gmail servers do all the syncing over the intertubes to all my other accounts, thus my phone only has to make a single sync to the gmail server.

Since the hard reset, and using the above settings, my battery under OTA EC05 has gone from 10 hours / light use to 20 hours / normal use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Blue, great find with battery doctor.

Followed the directions for full charge and got 24 hours of life and still had 50% battery.

I thnk folks that are not power uses will see the most benefit

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have two epics and my batteries were lasting about 8 hours max with almost no usage. We are not big power users. What I discovered on both phones was that under the application called maps, google maps was trying to load an update on both phones. On one phone, the download had been running ever since the OTA and the other phone had been downloading for several days. I cleared the data, uninstalled the update,and did a force close on the Maps application, and walla, I am back to getting 12 hours on each phone and still have 50% battery life on each phone. I have always shut wi-fi and bluetoothe off when not in use and have all e-mail accounts set up for one hour.  This was all done under Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Maps. We do use the Battery Doctor Application, and after each phone use we go to the battery doctor Tasks and hit Kill All. Also after each phone use we close all open applications. Battery life is as good if not better than before the upgrade. Hope this may help.   

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat