cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

I have gone from over 20 hours on a charge to less than 6....that's a 70% reduction in performance.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope - while we use those occasionally, we make sure to log off when we are done.  I've noticed about ATK that the "magic" apps keep coming back, but I guess I feel like I'm doing something to help my poor battery if I check it periodically and kill the little magic devils.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i've downloaded an ATK update that will work in the background to kill things....ran it over night on a 'moderate' setting (i think options range from boy scout to psychotic) and it reported 44 processes that self started and since they were not in use, were shut down. Still - I am only one hour into the day, have exchanged one email and one text, checked a couple processes. And with only 2 or maybe 3 minutes of use in the first hour of the day, my battery has already lost 11%.

It appears there is something very seriously amiss in the froyo code applied to the Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have E05 and am having battery issues. I have gone from a couple days battery life (Charge at work to full on day 1, don't have to plug in again until the next night, and that was only because it was low) to not even overnight.  I don't have a bunch of things running, no chats, and I don't message on it all day, nor do I use it as a hot spot. It is really just for email and a phone. Also, since the update I find my battery is hot while charging, is this normal? It wasn't previously.

I too also had the issue with randomly playing music. I found that there was a "ringtone" assigned to facebook notifications that somehow got turned on. I had kept them turned off prior to the update, and the update turned them on.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm headed to the store/repair center shortly. Calling tech support was fruitless.

So far today, my phone has been unplugged for less than 2 hours. One phone call, only 3 minutes long. Nothing else running. Battery at 80%.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone dies once a day while plugged in using the hot spot.  It can't even keep a charge while plugged in now.  This started the day I got the update.  I regularly make sure all apps, that don't look like they do anything important, are turned off. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

That was my status before going to the repair center. they made some adjustments to my settings and things are a bit better, but definitively and absolutely not good, and not good enough.

Today, I am losing 10% per hour, so 10 - 12 hours with light use (as opposed to the first post-update days of 8 hours with almost no use)

But on Eclair I could easily get 20 hours with reasonably steady use. If a patch to Froyo isn't issued within a few days, I will swallow the pill and have the repair center flash me back to 2.1....i will lose apps, not to mention data stored in firmware and roms, but i will get mobility restored to my mobile android handheld.

And good luck to anyone trying to sell me a Galaxy Tab.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on the same page with you blue_Shift.  I turned my phone off and charged it overnight.  When I woke up, I unplugged it.  It said I was at 100%.  I turned it on.  After it powered up.  I had 2 messages it told me about.  It went down to 92%.  8% to turn the thing on????  Come on!!! 

I can do without the Sprint ID thing.  Theres nothing else thats so special to make me want to keep Froyo.  I think Im going to back up my music, pictures and messages and write down my apps.  Then go back to Eclair.  My husband went to the Sprint store and they did his because his install stalled.  (But now he cant receive texts)  I was scared to update since my daughter updated back in Feb and has had problems (including battery life like mine) ever since.  I kept getting the install now or install later so I gave in.  I wont even go into the random song (that Ive never heard before) that plays when I get a message.  Its a WHOOOOOLE SONG.  I changed the notification song, but it plays its own thing.  I keep it on vibrate now.

Now its been 5.5 hrs since I turned it on this morning.  I looked at 1 text msg (not replied - just looked at it), looked at the call log to see who left me a voicemail yesterday and checked the task manager to make sure there was nothing running.  5.5 hrs took it fm 92% down to 41%.  Thats close to 10% every hour!!!  Ridiculous!!!

Sprint dropped the ball big time on this one!

Not good Sprint...not good at all!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not having a good time at all with Sprint in this instance.

I called support this morning to see if they had anything to help with the battery drain problems. They said I had to go to the repair center and made an apppointment for me.

The person at the repair center refused to even look at my phone. He said he has the same phone and also has terrible battery problems since the update, but that there was nothing anyone could do to help me.

I returned to my vehicle and called support again, because I was not very happy to have to make the trip to the store/repair center only to be turned away.

I spoke to someone named Brian in the Retention Department. His extension is 4203. He said there were no known problems with the update. He assured me that there is no battery drain problem with the update. I mentioned this board and the fact that others are experiencing problems. He only offered to give me credit on my account towards buying a new battery.

What is bothering me the most is that nobody at Sprint will acknowledge that there may be a correlation between the update and my recent battery drain. Every person seems to brush it off that smartphones don't have good battery life. They will not listen to the fact that I've noticed a BIG difference after the update without changing anything else. I really resent being spoken to as if I do not have any technical saavy, and do not understand what it is to have a smartphone.

So, others with problems, maybe give Brian at extention 4203 a call. At least you might get $50 credit towards a new battery. I'm sure it's a naive hope, but maybe if we all speak to the same person, at least they will begin to acknowledge that there may be a problem?

My husband doesn't have these issues on his Evo. I might try to do everything I can to switch away from the Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would imagine that the people at Sprint are taking this very seriously...with a merger looming between at&t and t-mobile, a double fault on Froyo for Epic is -- for Sprint -- an existential threat. It's my belief that the code is between Samsung and Google - but it's Sprint's management capability on full view here, as it is up to Sprint to manage the release of this product. In branding terms, this slow-motion trainwreck could go viral, hi-def and large screen very quickly...especially if the Froyo rollouts to the other Galaxy S carriers is successful. A failure at this point, so soon after the Nextel debacle, would likely have far reaching consequences...and as someone who has happily done business with Sprint for 14 years, and would like for the underdog to win, this is a terrible disappointment. I will take the frustration and stress in stride for a couple more days, then I will go to the Sprint store and get a 'flashback' to 2.1.

PR advice to anyone at Sprint who is listening: push Epic owners a message acknowledging the problem, outline what (not when) the next steps to be taken are, and offer us an OTA 'flashback' to 2.1 that would leave us with all our apps and settings intact. I would be happy with a fully functional 2.1 Epic.

BTW - this thread is being monitored and I have been contacted by Sprint; the tech at the repair store acknowledges that this is a problem, and has already performed several flashbacks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The repair store near me refused to do a flashback, and denied that they have the capability to even do it.

If this thread is being monitored, I wish that someone at Sprint would contact me. I have also been a Sprint customer for a long time, and I'm really dissatisfied at this current situation. Especially getting the runaround by different people between the store and telephone service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And thus my concern about Sprint management. The fact that you and I pursue the same course of action but are given two separate stories is a problem that begins at the top of the company. Denial is usually the first response of ordinary corporations - and it never works. There is enormous risk for Sprint in the current marketplace, given the likely emergence of "at&tmobile" means they risk not only losing a few customers, but they could lose the company as well. Do I think they are scrambling to figure out how to correct this? Yes. Is there a release engineer suddenly on the job market with a fresh resume? I certainly hope so. (After the EVO shortage, there was a very high level firing, followed some time thereafter by a new supply of EVO's.) Do I want to wake up some day and learn that I am a Verizon customer because they have taken over Sprint. God, no.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm currently running an experiment. I turned off all services and un-necessary applications that get data in any form. 1) Using WIFI only I started my experiment at 9:00 am (95%) to 11:00 am (93%)  consuming 2% of the battery. This was using the phone to read texts and email. 2) I now turned off the WIFI and am operating 3G (no 4G service here) 4 bars -91 dBm signal strength. In only one hour I've lost 5% (93% - 88%).  It would seem to be data services over 3G. I had no phone calls. I will report the 2hr mark when ready.  It would seem, if you have the opportunity to use WIFI it uses less power. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat