cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

I have gone from over 20 hours on a charge to less than 6....that's a 70% reduction in performance.

89 REPLIES 89
Highlighted
Journeyman

Froyo probably wants some of those processes. I installed Advanced Task Manager as well....and I set it to kill unused apps and also certain tasks that I don't think are needed (this is a Samsung phone, do I need com.htc.weather?) - I think my interval is that it does this about once an hour. You can set it to kill everything not on the exception list every time you turn off the screen.

So far, with all the little tweaks, my Epic now projects to about 10 hours on normal use...a slight (but not meaningful) improvement on 10 hours of almost no use. That is still a 50% reduction from the 20+ hours I used to get. Tonight or tomorrow, I will do the hard reset (clean) install. It will test my theory that whereas uninstalling an app takes < 1 sec., the app isn't really being uninstalled - it's header block is being overwritten. What if the coms and other process files continue to run in the background? Resetting all the bits to 0 might (maybe? perhaps?) be the answer...assuming that's the right question.  : P

These imponderables continue
normal use is down 50% with the only intervening variable being the EC05 OTA update from 2.1
battery drain is shown as 90% screen....but my Epic is dark 90% of the time
    ergo, i'm wondering whether the update has faulty code related to power management...or perhaps to power reporting.

This 'upgrade' sure has increased my stress level. I'm nursing my phone the same way the astronauts had to succour the Apollo 13 capsule.

Highlighted
Wizard

I don't keep stats or check the battery usage often, but have noticed a decrease in battery life too.  I'm going to add this to a thread I opened on config changes needed after the udpate...so, if anyone finds something concrete that improves the battery life let me know and I'll add it there too.  

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I had to install juice defender and leave Wifi off.  Before I did that I could barely make it through the day.  I used to leave Wifi on all the time with 2.1, but now it seems to eat my battery plus it tends just show an error instead of reconnecting like it's supposed to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

2.2 is killing my battery life as well.  I hate it.  I can't even get through a day without having to re-charge.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the hard reset - and battery liefe is back to normal. of course, life being a series of compromises, there have been some tradeoffs, but my Epic 4G now has a (battery) life again. I will post my experience and results in a new thread.

Highlighted
Journeyman

blue_Shift wrote:

I did the hard reset - and battery liefe is back to normal. of course, life being a series of compromises, there have been some tradeoffs, but my Epic 4G now has a (battery) life again. I will post my experience and results in a new thread.

Just wanted to update you folks since my post on 3/30. Went to a sprint repair center on 3/30. They did confirm that there is an issue with battery life post upgrade. And i was told that there is no work around for this yet.I went in because my phone is unable to update firmware, profile or prl pre and post update.

They did a hard reset and those problems were not resolved. However i am happy to report that after the hard reset, my battery life has expanded exponentially!!!!!  The caveat is that my phone cannot connect to the Internet so inherently it does not drain the battery .. Problem solved! LOL! Just trying to lighten the mood. I can get 2 days on charge now but can only use the phone for calls and texting.....

Incidentally i am supposed to recive a replacement phone today so i'll let you know how that works.

Blue_SHift, i've read in several places saying that ATK on 2.2 is not required and can at times do more harm than good. Our frinedly moderator DSHOEM01 even posted on this not to long ago although i can find the link...

Highlighted
Journeyman

ATK is gone from my machine. I have not experienced any of the inconveniences related to internet, PRL, and all that you're having. /O\

Highlighted
Journeyman

When you say ATK...are you talking about the Task Manager that is in Froyo 2.2 or something else?  Yesterday, I did a hard reset my phone and manually reset up my whole phone rather than from a backup.  Redownloaded all programs etc and it appears at this time that my battery drain is not as severe but I will update later after using it for a few days.   I just want to know what you are referring to when you say ATK as I did remove the downloaded task killer that I had when running 2.1 .  I do know that the battery is recharging quicker after the reset. Before the reset and using the phone while charging it could not keep up with my use and recharge the battery at the same time.  Appears to not be a problem now.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here the links for the articles for not using any external Advanced Task Killers from the open market. The first one is somewhat detailed but very usefull in explaing how Andriod works:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

http://wickenden.livejournal.com/940848.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

I removed all apps that have 'task killer' in the name. These require my input, and I really don't want to manage my phone - I have a business to run. I'm experimenting with the automatons instead. I've opened with juice defender for now, but there are other pre-emptive task managers that will get auditions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One other thing.... my phone SHUTS DOWN, giving me the "Plug in to continue to use your phone" far before I think it should.  When I then plug it in, I show 20% battery?  Why does it shut down that early?  Also, when it gives me that screen, it gives me two buttons, but the buttons don't work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok. Swapped out the epic. Came with eclair. They initiated the update at the store, I switched over to 4G and the download took less than 5 mins. Funny thing, they tried to talk me out of updating to froyo at the store.....

Since the phone did not have a lot of juice I did not apply the changes til I got home. All my stuff checked.out ok, was able to initiate prl, profile and firmware updates without errors.

Upgraded to froyo without any issues. Everything checks out ok. Set my settings to use the least amount of resources and will charge the phone overnight and we'll see what shakes out tomorrow.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat