cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Froyo update killing YOUR battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ Okiestro--I am thinking about during a hard/factory reset to correct the battery issues.  Why do I need an MSL # to do the reset if I can just : just go to: "Settings" "Privacy" and then "Personal Data." then "Factory Data Reset" ?

And do I need to remove the SD card to do the reset?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Master

A hard reset doesn't remove everything - an RTN as we call it does.  I always remove the memory card as a precaution.  By rule you don't have to but better safe than sorry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wanted to share something i read on one of the forums that may help the battery life.

For those of you who are connected to the net via a workstation and dont have a need to be "online" on the phone while at work/home, another words, you have your phone to make/recieve calls and send out/receive an occasional text, you really dont need the functionality of being online all the time on the phone because you are wired in the office.

Using the power off button (the death grip....), deactivate data network mode which will take you off the data network but allow you to make/receive calls and texts but not have access to the data network. This will give you a huge increase on battery life. When you need to use the "smart features" of our smart phones, activate the data network and you can surf away. This works for me as i am not a power user, when i need it, i dial it up, when i don't, i dial it off.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know about others.  I recently started to have battery issues after using swype as the preferred input method.  Changed back to android keyboard, also using samsung keyboard, and my battery life has returned to normal.  I do keep GPS off, but data mode on and still get great battery life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery life just increased amazingly after uninstalling automatic task killer.  I read in another post that it doesnt necessarily work well with android, and the android techs say its not needed.  I am at 26 hours of light use( 4 quick phone calls, about 15 texts and 3 missed calls and voicemails) and Im still at 63% power. That is at least double the time before the uninstall, and massive compared to the 6 hours I was getting immediately after the froyo update.  I have done a few other things that helped, between reading posts and help from my local store.  I use the program monitor under the widgets option, and have battery booster, which after the update I uninstalled and then reinstalled.  Alot of my settings I have messed with as well.   Example,  I had a problem with my screen not shutting off after a missed phone call, which would drain my battery overnight. I would wake up to a dead phone after going to sleep with it fully charged.  The fix was to go to the screen timeout, under display in the settings, and I changed it to 1 min and  back to 30 sec and it was back normal.  Over the last few weeks I did unistall a couple of apps as well( alarm clock plus) that I thought were giving me trouble.  I have almost zero technical knowledge, but obviously the update is having trouble getting along with existing apps and settings.  It seems that if you go through and readjust some of your settings and apps, things might get better instead of having to do a hard reset.  Im sorry I dont have more hard facts on why my battery life has improved so much, I just know that I have tried alot of things that I had read in posts, but nothing was bigger than uninstalling ATK.  Thanks to everyone that has discussed their problems and fixes, it has helped me get my phone working right and to keep my sanity as well.  I hope this helps some people before you throw your phone through a wall.

Highlighted
Master

KRUSSELL456 wrote:

I have almost zero technical knowledge, but obviously the update is having trouble getting along with existing apps and settings.

This is why I always suggest doing a hard reset after any software update, you may lose some information (or things like high scrores in games), but in my opinion it is worth the time you save from not having to check what is messing up and how to correct it after an update.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat