cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone actually impressed with the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone actually impressed with the Epic?

As a Moment owner with a chance to upgrade on Oct. 1, I was targeting the Epic as my next phone. I've learned to live with minor annoyances with my Moment and I came to the Epic forum to see what early adopters are talking about. And so far it seems to be a disaster!

Bad GPS, WIFI, capcitive buttons, lack of outlook syncing support right out of the box, random power cycling...yeesh.

Are you all hoping for 2.2 to save you like Moment users waited for 2.1? Are your problems more hardware related?

Will anyone rave about their Epic?

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Is anyone actually impressed with the Epic?

ekoller1 wrote:

As a Moment owner with a chance to upgrade on Oct. 1, I was targeting the Epic as my next phone. I've learned to live with minor annoyances with my Moment and I came to the Epic forum to see what early adopters are talking about. And so far it seems to be a disaster!

Bad GPS, WIFI, capcitive buttons, lack of outlook syncing support right out of the box, random power cycling...yeesh.

Are you all hoping for 2.2 to save you like Moment users waited for 2.1? Are your problems more hardware related?

Will anyone rave about their Epic?

I have and the Epic since launch and I have had zero issues. GPS is fine. My buttons respond to the touch, didn't even hear of WIFI issues until now but my WIFI has been great.  I can't comment the outlook.  No random power cycling either.

Remember people don't come to forums to rave they come to complain.

I think the build quality is great. The screen is AWESOME!!!  The keyboard is one of the best I have ever used and believe me I have used too many phones.  I like the email program better than the EVO one. There are some other cool extra features Samsung adds to the software. 

I have heard people who had a moment rave about the difference and how much better the EPIC is. 

My big problem is I can't root but thats just me.

Good Luck!!!

Journeyman

true, many do come to complain, but wow only 1 post impressed and almost a week since launch???? i have one sitting in my living room ready to swap out from my evo, but this doesnt look too promising. it really doesnt matter, cause im a phone fanatic and i love switching phones daily if i could, but its always that much better when i get a great device. so far, im happy with my evo and the i1 is great for voice. lets hope this epic turns out to be more than just a pretty screen.

Journeyman

As a previous Moment owner (with the chance still to go back to my beloved Moment),here are some reasons why I (with my own personal tastes) am staying with the Epic:

1. Flash with Froyo coming soon

2. Bluetooth voice dialing with Froyo (one of the things that I loved about the Moment).

3. The Hummingbird processor is noticeably faster...surfing the net is faster...I don't know if this is because of the processor or the browser. I don't get 4G inside my house but the WiFi works great.

4. Beautiful screen...as in bigger and BRIGHTER

5. GPS, Bluetooth, and Wifi work fine.

6. Bigger hardware keyboard...onscreen keyboard is improved with Swype...it actually works with a bit of practice. With Froyo the onscreen keyboard will be usable when the phone is turned horizontal.

7. A thinner feel than the moment.

8. Using Qik to take videos (using front or back facing camera) and uploading them to Facebook, Youtube etc.

Why to stay with the Moment:

1. Battery issue  To be honest, I'm still trying out the phone and the first few weeks always drains the battery more with all the downloading, testing etc. The Epic could be more power hungry.

2. Cost

I cannot speak to the issue of syncing with Outlook unless you are set up with Microsofts Exchange Server with your work...my wife does this sucessfully.

Just my opinion...Good Luck....you have to do what is right for YOU.

Journeyman

Hi, I was reading the posts about the Epic. I'm coming from a First gen IPhone with ATT. Too me so far Epic is by far a great phone. There is nothing bad about this phone or it's software.

I will be glad with the 2.2 update. For flash 10x and a few more plus+.Then when this happens I can watch Netflix on my phone!

Journeyman

I'm impressed for the reasons listed below:

1)   Best phone I've ever used.

2)  It's extremely fast.  It takes full advantage of my wifi.  I don't have 4g to test it on.  Currently getting around 3276 kbps from wifi.

3)  Stock battery life is great.  I get a full day charge without even trying.

4)  No issues with call quaility or signal strength.

5)  No more data lockups.  Past Moment owner.

6)  Best keyboard I've ever used.  Use to be a touch pro owner.

7)  Loving the screen.

😎 GPS use to be slow for me.  Downloaded GPS test for the market.  I haven't had any problems since running that app.  Takes about 2-4 seconds to get a lock.

Message was edited by: Crazyheaven

Journeyman

So fat I like the epic much better than the evo.  The battery lasts so much longer than the evo and hero.seems more responsive than the evo and I have had none of the issues mentioned in other threads. GPS works great bluetooth etc.

Journeyman

So far so good with mine, I have had it since launch.  The Sprint navigation is horrible just like on my previous phone.  Use Google's navigation instead.

Journeyman

Yes I am very happy with mine. Picked it up on launch day.

I have not experienced any of the problems others have described.

I use moderate to heavy and get 10-12 hrs on a charge

I had a Palm Pre before this, it was very easy to adapt to Adroid.

I even had great succes with Sprint Navigation on a recent trip to Northern California.

I would highly recomend one.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Sorry - been too busy playing with the phone to reply to your thread.

I'm *very* impressed with the Epic.  Fast, functional.

Email works. Gps works.  WiFi works - even with hidden SSIDs (granted, it's using WPA, not WPA2).

Browser works.  Camera is great.  Video camera is great.  Nice keyboard.  Longer battery life than the Pre.  Nearly as good a screen as the Pre in daylight.  Big fonts.

I added Pure Calendar Widget to do calendar display, a Retro Clock, and that's about it.  Sweet phone.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat