cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else having problems with their Epic 4g turning off and on and freezing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone else having problems with their Epic 4g turning off and on and freezing?

My phone will freeze and turn itself off and on. It never did this before and can become sluggish. It also seems to have something to do with network hand offs, and Touchwiz????? Anyone? I use to love my phone and now I am starting to hate it!! Epic 4g Bought in March of 2010.

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

Re: Is anyone else having problems with their Epic 4g turning off and on and freezing?

Absolutely my wifes phone is constantly doing the same thing, took it in to sprint and they said the battery was bad. They replaced the battery and it didn't take care of the problem. They then did a master reset and it is still freezing up and and also can't make phone calls or answer calls properly. This thing also will reboot all on its own just setting there while charging

Message was edited by: WAYNEO28088

Wizard

2mjs,

I'm not aware of any known issue with the device randomly turning off/re-booting/freezing. When did the issue begin? I assume a power-cycle with temporarily fix the issue?

-William

Journeyman

Re: Is anyone else having problems with their Epic 4g turning off and on and freezing?

I have been having daily issues with my phone since I purchased it on launch day.

It used to just freeze with a black screen which would require me having to hit the reset buttons.

However, with the latest updates it will freeze for a bit and then reboot itself. Most times it will just reboot once, but I have had instances in the past where it will reboot a handful of times. This is all when the phone is doing nothing but sitting on my desk.

If anyone from Sprint says they are not aware of these problems they are either not being honest or have no clue. Search the forums here, this has been a constant problem with these phones since they were released. 

I took my phone in twice to my local Sprint store within the first few months I had it for help and both times were a complete waste of time. First trip they said it must be some application I installed that was causing the problem (blame the customer). So I wiped the phone and installed nothing and still had problems. Took it back into the Sprint store and I was told that there was nothing they could do for my phone. Since I had the insurance plan they told me to go through them and have my phone replaced for $100. They then blew me off and started talking to another customer that wanted to buy an EVO. No money for them in helping current customers, just getting new ones and renewals.

I, for one, will never ever purchase a Samsung phone again and Sprint will be very lucky if they can keep my business once my contract expires.

EPIC FAIL!

Journeyman

I'm having the same issues - turning on/off randomly, freezing up, and running sluggishly.  It seemed to start with the last software update.  I don't have a lot of apps, but I did a purge and deleted any that i dont often use.  Tho, I don't think I should have to resort to this, but anything to be able to use my phone properly again.  I, too, used to love my Epic but now it's turning more and more into a brick for me.

Journeyman

YES, YES, YES.   My wife and I both have Epics as did not have any problems until 2-3 weeks ago.   (Even after the initial Gingerbread update, the phones were fine.   Now the Android system is consistent running down the battery (fully charged phones die over night) even with every application killed and WIFI, etc, turned off.   This smells like an automatic system update gone bad.

Journeyman

Since the Gingerbread EI22 update, I have nothing but issues. I loved this phone before this update, now HATE this phone. It freezes up, and have to remove battery to restart it. Freezes when I try to make a call, then cant hang up ,again have to remove battery. Takes forever for apps to load on main screen, never did this before! EVER!! oh and lets not forget that the original message, phone, contact and application apps that were at the bottom of the front screen ,just dissapeared, I went to make a call to find that there was no phone app {or any of the other 3) I had to go into my applications and re ad this just to make a phone call, very rediculous! Is there a way to remove this update, and take this back to the great phone is was before the virus of an update was installed?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Journeyman

Yes, ever since that last update my phone has been acting up left and right. I loved my phone (not service) before the update. It was running very smooth. Now it freezes/locks up. I usually have to end all tasks or take the battery out and restart my phone. It does this quite often.

Journeyman

I had the same issues BUT .. my update to El30 arrived today and so far it seems to have fixed all the issues I had.  Have also heard of some having issues after this latest update but working fine for me!  I was seriously considering changing phones just a few days ago.  So glad it seems to be working well now. Good luck !!

Journeyman

I've had freezing and rebooting issues since the Gingerbread update.  I got the EL30 update a day or two ago.  I didn't have the problem of not being able to answer calls.  However, just a little while ago it powered down twice after getting the "battery low" message while I was on a call.  Meanwhile, my battery said it was at 35%  :-/

Patron

I too am having these issues with my Samsung Epic 4G, it will turn off just sitting on desk. Even when charging. Very sluggish. I have called sprint and we have tried a new battery and a hard reset. It has still not resolved my issues. I was a huge fan of this phone. Not so much anymore. And now that sprint got rid of the premiere membership, I have to wait 2 years to be eligible for an upgrade. Sprint is losing points also with each new step they take.

I have since tried a hard reset (back to factory settings), also per Sprint called Samsung regarding the issues and was told that the only way to fix it is to send them my phone and let them take it apart and reinstall everything. Which also means being without a phone (not an option for me). I am now back to waiting for an answer from Sprint.

Journeyman

I've had mine for several months, but experienced the freezes for the first time after the recent update. I'm also still having frequent loss of signal where it drops from 4-5 bars to 0 just by moving the phone a fraction of an inch, but that's been a problem pretty much since I got it. I have made some poor decisions in my life, but purchasing this phone has to be near the top of that list. I never had any probelms with my old samsung A900 phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat