cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got the Samsung Epic...Any feedback from the Epic Community?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got the Samsung Epic...Any feedback from the Epic Community?

Good evening.  I just got the Samsung Epic and wanted to know what's the Community's impression.  I recently had the HTC Evo and had random reboot issues.  So far I've heard only good things about the Epic and not that many issues (or as much as the Evo).  Also, I know the Android 2.3 update is so close for the Epic, anyone hear an approximate date?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Master

There is no official information available regarding when a Gingerbread update will be pushed out to the Epic, but like you I've read rumors on various android websites.  When I find out more, I'll let you know!

I personally have the Evo, but I bought a few Epics for my friends and family and they don't have any problems with it at all.  The screen is amazing don't you think?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate the feedback.  I've been using the Evo for the last year and it's been the best phone i've had...up to a month ago.  Until the phone started randomly rebooting when I started telenav, or was doing something data intensive.  Hence I had to move on to a new phone.  I figured the four phones to consider now was the two Evos, the nexus phone, and the epic.  I've heard more issues for the first 3 phones, and not that much for the epic.  Hence, that's where I went with.  I'll see how it goes within 30 days, and if I'm good, I'll keep it. If not, I'll see when the photon comes out.  But most likely I'll stay where I am with the epic.

Highlighted
Wizard

Epic is my first smartphone ever and its really awesome.  However, the screen advertisement is misleading.  I don't think it is really Super AMOLED or whatever the term is.  Although the screen is great, it is worse than c-r-a-p when outside.  That is really the only main disappointment with having a hard time viewing the screen outside.  It is also hard in the truck when I was using the GPS/Navigation.  I tell you this, my previous Exclaim phone was glorious when using the GPS/Navigation while on enroute, but the Epic is very hard to view with sun shining ever-so-brightly.  Even the advertisment of Zagg Invisible Shield promising to prevent blurred screen due to sunshine is a complete failure.

Yes, I have the brightness set to the max and it helps itsy bitsy bit, but not much. 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the Epic now for 6 weeks. I love it although i do not use the physical keyboard as much as i thought i would, swype is an awesome feature.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Take it back!  I have gone through 3 phones in 1 month.  the first one after 4 months the speaker went out.  They trashed it fixing it.  I got a refurbished pos.  No one can hear me when I call but the call connects.  I was told it was the towers.  They checked the towers nothing wrong.  New phone only goes to voicemail doesnt connect calls.  BEWARE!

Highlighted
Wizard

GENAW1983, you can't just say that.  All phones on the market by all carriers have issues.  Since you bought a new Epic and it was only a month, you have the right to demand for a new replacement.  My gawd, I don't know what is wrong with Sprint ripping customers off by sending a refurbished phones, especially when a brand new one was just bought.  Anyway, GENAW1983, you received a defective phone and it has been only a month, so you should demand Sprint to only send a replacement that is also new.  You have that right.  Threaten to take them to court.  Issues that you are having with your specific Epic phone is quite rare, so you can't just tell people to return their perfectly healthy phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@BIGDOMNYC2007: I bought my Epic via CompUSA in 11/2010.  I have recieved the EB13 and EC05 Froyo updates without any major hiccups..practically no issues at all.  I debated for a long time between Evo and Epic and the Epic for business/personal use, just flat out won.  I can deal with the screen in bright sunlight as it seems comparable or better than any other phone I've tested/seen.  I love my Epic, just wish Sprint would not have "put it on back burner" when it should have been the Flagship phone it was intended to be.  Just MHO.  I have recommended the Epic to many of my friends. Still waiting on Gingerbread OS, but running the Gingerbread Launcher and battery life just flat out rocks. I average 16-24 hrs of battery with light-mod use and 12-16 with moderate use.  I don't do any heavy stuff, so I don't know what the battery life would be then.  Enjoy your Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my Epic's (mine and the wifes) through Best Buy, 99. then 2 weeks later BB had it on sale for free and i got back the money i layed out initially. I got the warranty through BB as well. Way better than Sprints. No issues yet (keeping my fingers crossed) but i must say i love Sprints service. I have been with them quite some time and they have always been reliable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Epic Thunder -- Just wondered if you tried Settings > Brightness > Automatic brightness.

While it wouldn't be brighter than your brightest setting, it would give you a better idea of the difference between its indoor and outdoor brightness. In my experience, it takes about 5 seconds for it to adjust, and it's a dramatic change.

Highlighted
Wizard

Yes, racqueteer1, it is how I adjust the brightness.  I have to go through that route in order to set it to the brightest. lol

A few hours ago, I was checking it and saw it was at the lowest brightness..... I do not know when, how, and why it did that and I was not aware of it. 😮  Its back at the brightest setting again and putting the phone on probation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A recommendation: While this phone has a great physical keyboard, the Swype functionality with the virtual keyboard is so much fun I prefer it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat