cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kies support?

Journeyman

Kies support?

Is there is a way to enable Kies support on the Epic 4G?

I would like to use Samsung Kies with my new Epic.

I switched my whole family from AT&T (Captivates) to Sprint Epics and I am amazed that this feature appears to be blocked (it is not an option in the menu).

For a Sprint employee: I would love to hear your justification  for disabling such a great software suite.  I did not get a premium  phone so it could be crippled.  If I wanted a company or service  provider to own my phone then I would have an iPhone.  I just want to  use the Galaxy S that I own in the way that the rest of the world is able to use theirs.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Kies support?

Cool!  Downloading now.  Lets see what it does...

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee

Still downloading.  Gahh.

Ok - it doesn't appear to work on US based (read: CDMA) phones -- "Samsung support explained that they are working on a version of Samsung  Kies to support U.S. Galaxy phones, but it’s not ready yet."

-- From http://www.hmtweb.com/imd/?p=394

But, some folks are reporting success mounting the phone using 'mass storage mode' and getting Kies to connect:

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-how-to/can%27t-connect-to-kies/msg897/#msg897

So, it's not officially supported yet - understandable, since you pretty well have to re-write the firmware from scratch when changing from GSM (ATT & World phones) to CDMA (Sprint and Verizon).

Here's a neat video demoing a 'real world' experience with it:

"Pretty buggy, but very cool features"

Journeyman

Kies is supported for ATT and Tmobile's Galaxy S phones.   It just doesn't work on Sprint.  I am not sure about Verizon.

This has nothing to do with the firmware code that relates with the radio.  This actually gives users a way AROUND the radio.

I would like to hear an excuse that goes beyond corporate greed or an inability to understand why this would benefit users.

I would LOVE to hear "oh yeah, that was a stupid decision, here, have Kies mode back--we had no idea what we were thinking by disabling that."

I could not get mass storage mode to work.  The Captivate (which I returned for an Epic) had a specific Kies mode in that same menu.

Additional info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=771308

Journeyman

Verizon version does have it too.. So officially the sprint version is the only one that is missing MTP and Kies mode..

Wow Sprint!! I guess you wanna grow up to be like apple and cripple the user..... Wait, I forgot even the iphone has a way to sync outlook and media via usb.

Please give us an answer!!

Journeyman

gdmarbury wrote:

Verizon version does have it too.. So officially the sprint version is the only one that is missing MTP and Kies mode..

Wow Sprint!! I guess you wanna grow up to be like apple and cripple the user..... Wait, I forgot even the iphone has a way to sync outlook and media via usb.

Please give us an answer!!

Correct. All US phones except Sprint's Epic 4G can use Keis. It's a wonderful product to sync Outlook contacts with and use other options but Sprint/Samsung have blocked access for a multitude of reasons. This is a purely business decision by Sprint/Samsung and is yet another reason not to keep this phone. Sprint really blew the launch of the Epic 4G.

Journeyman

I found the solution to lack of KIES support on Sprint:  Verizon.

Funny thing about America, the consumer is free to choose.  I choose not to be shafted.

I'll be trying out Verizon's data plan for 3 month's before I drop Sprint for all my lines.

Journeyman

It's because KIES it tied to TW 3.0 more than likely, which the Epic does not due to issues with Landscape with keyboard from what rumors says.  Supposedly 2.2 update should have the problem corrected.  Until then if you have with a problem without having KIES and you don't believe you will not get it anytime soon then return your device.  It's the best solution without any headaches.

Journeyman

Thanks for your suggestion Tidbits.  But I thought that's what I said I'm doing.  Although it's with a T-mobile G2 instead of Verizon as I had first thought.  Verizon has the same problem with a lack of QWERTY Android phones that syncs to desktop Outllook.

But I must say one thing.  Sprint is actually concerned enough about customer dissatisfaction to give me a call on my cell phone.  If Sprint gets an Outlook sync'able Android Qwerty phone soon enough, I think I'll stay with Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Sprint serious? No MTP support? I'm really pissed off now. Who's in charge of Marketing over there?  This really has to be one of the worst decision made by anyone involved in this business today. Locking out features expected since everyother device in the market already uses it. Hmmm!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat