cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

Journeyman

Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

I live in an area that has 4G network however my phone keeps switching back and forth between 4G and 3G. So I am pay an extra $10 for the 4G but not always getting it. Is it really worth it? Is there really much difference in the data speed?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

The $10 fee is for the capabilities of the phone, regardless of which network you're connected to. 

4G, when you are in good coverage area, is definitely faster than the 3G network.  Coverage is still growing - Clear and Sprint are rolling out more towers and improving coverage all the time. 

I moved your post over to the Epic forum so everyone can chip in.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Re: Know more about the $10 Premium Data charge for your Samsung Epic 4G

where I live 4G is widely available but not completely or officially  rolled out (clear is announced, Sprint isn't). By its signal type, and bandwidth nature, and the fact it is early stages with not all poor coverage areas documented and troubleshot, it is perfectly possible to attain a 4G signal but have it considerably less robust and even slower speeds than 3G. We know LTE at the bandwidth used dopes not excel at building penetration. So your 3G signal may decrease 10% between sitting on your stoop and going inside, but and your 4G may decrease 75%.

This, and mucxh higher battery 4G drain*, of course makes the 3G fallback and 3G capabilities as on important on 3G/4G handsets as they are on #G only handsets -- no matter if you live in a fully tuned, mid rollout, or non 34G area.

*Doubtless everyone's' Sprint 4G will improve continually as Sprint builds out,  but while on a laptop the power draw is proportionally less,  is is it only meant for part time use on 1500 mah battery smartphones because 4G can easily half your battery time.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat