This just started a few days ago and it makes me furious. I text my husband alot at work. If I go to reply sometimes or even go to answer my phone and go back to the messages, it deletes his area code and whatever I attempt to send, I get an error message sayin it cannot send it. So I have to delete all the messages and start over, have to go into contacts, find him and start over. Is this software related or phone related? It's very annoying to pay $500 for a phone and it doesn't work right.
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with the phone. What I would recommend doing is putting the phone in airplane mode, deleting the contact, delete the contact from anywhere it might be syncing it over to, such as Google Gmail, then reentering the information, and turning Airplane mode off.
Let's see if that can get this straightened up for you. If not, please let me know what kind of phone you have so we can take a more in depth look on this for you.
That didn't work either...I've tried everything...It's an epic 4g...I did find online that it was a known issue and would be fixed in the next software upgrade but that's probably along time from now. It's a real hassle. It only does it when I text with my husband, no one else. Guess I'm going to have to take it to a sprint store and see if they have any other ideas.
It is a known issue with the Epic, but JP's answer almost always fixes it. Did you go to your Google contacts and remove it from there? How about Sprint's contact backup list?
Did you delete the contact and ALL message history from your phone? If there's one message anywhere in the history (incoming, outbox, draft, etc.) then it will cause the problem to continue.
I have been through every work around known....none of it works. Ridiculous to pay $500 for a cell phone and be told to live with a problem. Vanessa from Sprint headquarters calls me once a week to "update" me on this, if there are any fixes that are new, etc...but it's more or less I believe to make it look like they're trying to do something. The problem still remains. From what I understand, none of the work arounds work for very many people and if they do, it's not for long.
Those software updates aren't coming from Sprint, they are coming from Android (Google). There is really nothing that Sprint can do with this problem besides let you know when there is an Android update that you should download.
Hello, I'm sorry for the problem. While at this point, there does not seem to be resolution for you at the present, this is an issue being investigated so we can get it corrected. Regrettably, this is not a clear cut issue. In almost every case, the information as saved on the phone displays correctly. The information saved in Gmail displays correctly. Yet somewhere between the device and the contacts saved on Google, something catches outgoing text messages and strips the area code. I have only encountered this issue when a customer has a Gmail account setup on the phone and only for contacts saved to Google. While the Epic seems to be the most prone to the issue, I have encountered it on a number of devices, including a few Blackberries of all things.
In otherwords, this is a very strange bird indeed.
I do understand your frustration, its a heck of an annoying issue. At this point, we can offer work arounds, but until this issue is pinned down and squished for good, we cannot guarentee that any given trick will work, even if some of them do have a high rate of temporary success.
This thread was years ago and I just got my phone a little less than a year ago. Do you have a fix? Mine and a couple of my friends phones are doing this exact same thing.
My phone was doing the same thing. Apparently when you manually dial a number you must use the area code or your phone's memory will memorize the number without the area code for all other functions.Wish I knew who originally posted this - becasue they deserve the credit - not me----- I found this fix and it worked for me:
Code drops off for messaging - Samsung Epic 4G
Here is the fix. I have tested it and it works.
First the issue is you once texted someone with a 7 digit number. Most likely becuase you stored them in your contacts that way. Even if you update the contact info it will always drop the area code from all future messages to that person. Everyone that was stored correctly will message correctly. Deleting the contact and reinstalling them will not work. Importing the contact again will not work. Deleting the message thread and starting a new thread will not work.
Here is what you need to do.
Clear data in the Dialer and Dialer storage.... under manage Applications> All.
That is Settings - Applications - Choose All to view All choices - then find Dialer and clear the Data. Repeat this for the Dialer Storage as well.
I personally also deleted the message thread first from the text message window and my log history which is a menu item from your call screen.
This process will not delete all your contacts.
The only other fix to this problem is to reset back to factory defaults. I don't suggest this at all.
Good to go afterwards!..