cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loud Random Popping Sounds from Speaker

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the Epic 4G for 3 weeks. Twice during this time I've had it go into a state where the earpiece speaker would make loud popping noises until the phone was turned off and restarted. The volume varies but the noises are easily audible without the phone against my ear. The timing is also variable but generally a pop every 2 or 3 seconds, regardless of whether the phone is in use or idling with the screen off.

99% percent of the time the phone works without any problems and I'm not aware of any particular application that caused this to happen. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered it. My only concern is that it could be a hardware problem with my phone. I'm not too concerned if it's just an occasional software glitch.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Loud Random Popping Sounds from Speaker

I'm having the exact same issue with mine.  It started a little over a week ago.  I had plugged it into the dock I bought from Sprint and I heard it popping while docked.  Then this week, I was playing a game and had the volume all the way down, but it was still popping even when silent.  It's only done it a couple times and I really would perfer not to have to take it to a Sprint store to have it worked on.

Highlighted
Wizard

had it happened a couple times.  once was from a free alarm clock app, nice features but after alarms going off, it somehow messed with the speakers and left cracking sounds...uninstalled.  second time was streaming with pandora and rhapsody, as i was testing my configs, not sure what happened but the speaker won't turn off when headsets was plugged in (had sounds coming from both speaker and headsets...power cycled.

all good since then.

Journeyman

Cyco that does sound like the same problem. I'm pretty sure that this is the same as well:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/215987#215987

So I'm not the only one, but it would be good to know the cause.

Highlighted
Journeyman

had my epic replaced twice and it still does the popping sound. no known solutions yet. if it wasnt for the beautiful screen, i'd switch to EVO. i still may

Highlighted
Journeyman

I started having the same problem recently.  It started happening when I began using my Jawbone ICON.  I've searched around the web and it appears to be a bluetooth issue and Jawbone products seem to be a common thread.  If I toggle bluetooth off/on it goes away, or you can reboot.  It also causes the ring and media volume to be very low even though you set it to the highest level possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We are all having the same popping and crackling issues. Samsung needs to get off its butt and deliver the updates or do a recall to fix the problem. I love the phone, hate the problems that they should have fixed

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am happy and sad to find this post. I though I was hearing piping sounds the first week I got the phone. The sale person said they could n't hear an thing, but the replace my phne any way because the screen lost it's contrast and became washed out. Now almost a year later and a replacement epic, I Still hear popping. Samsung, you guys make "B" grade devices that initially seem to be Outstanding. Do they use cheap materials?

any way, I'm happy that I'm not alone and especially that I'm not going crazy!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So far I only get this popping sound when I'm using my phone to talk. Other than that its not a problem. Also my Volume for taliking is extreamly loud even with the volume turned as low as it will go. Really annoying.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat