Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX

Journeyman

Re: Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Journeyman

Re: Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Have you tried a different cable?  I have three:  One came with the Epic, one with an OEM charger that I bought to keep at work, and one came with my wife’s LG phone.   All look the same.  My computer runs Win 7 64-bit. 

When I connect with the LG cable, the battery indicates “charging,” but there is no indication on the phone or the computer that there is a USB connection. 

Using the OEM cable, the phone thinks it is connected, giving me the “Mass Storage” option, but there is no recognition on the computer that anything has been connected. 

But when I use the Samsung cable, I get immediate recognition of an external disk and can explore all the folders from the computer and download my photos.

While trying to get this working (naturally, I used the right cable last!),  I installed, then uninstalled the downloaded driver, which I don’t think is necessary.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX

I suffered from this problem.  After beating my head against the wall and Googling, I noticed this thread.

In my case, I was using USB extension cables that were just too long.  As long as I plugged straight into the computer, the problem went away.

Funny thing, none of my other devices ever experienced this problem before.  My Samsung EPIC 4G is a bit touchy about this issue.  I think its output power on the USB port is weaker, compared to other devices.  Perhaps this is their way of saving power.

Anyway, the problem is solved for me now.

Remember, do not use USB extension cables.  And always use Samsung provided USB cable.  If the problem still does not go away, try one of the powered USB hubs.  My monitor has one built in and that is what I am using now.

Journeyman

I am also seeing this problem.  I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the Samsung device drivers on Win XP SP3 32 bit and the device refuses to properly connect to my PC.  When I try to mount the device I recieve a device I/O error.

I suspect the driver is also conflicting with other drivers on my PC as when I now plug in my Epic phone my usb Wifi device stops working.

I am runnining out of possible work-arounds for this problem.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Journeyman

Use the Samsung cable and plug it into one of the USB ports on the back of the PC connected directly to the mother board. If that does not work connect via a powered USB hub. Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: m2win

Journeyman

Just to clarify - you only need the Samsung drivers to connect the Android debugger and for other "development" related activities.  If all you need to do is mount the SD card so you can transfer files back and forth, all Windows systems should already include the proper USB mass storage driver.  Be sure you have "USB debugging" disabled.  Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging (should be unchecked).

Journeyman

Summarizing what I've discovered since my post a month or so ago:

1. I've tried 4 different USB cables.  The USB cable that came with the Epic is different than other USB cables, and it has the best chance of working in various systems.
  2. I eventually got through to Samsung level 3 support and spent over an hour with them.  They were not able to solve this problem either.  They claim the built-in Windows drivers are the best to use and should work fine.
  3. As another poster said, the Samsung driver should not make a difference.  It is for tethering, not for USB mass storage.  That said, I have a couple occasions where installing and/or uninstalling that driver changed the system behavior.
  4. I also spoke to Asus support, who confirmed that the built-in USB drivers from microsoft should be the best drivers to use.
  5. On my main PC (XP 64), I eventually tried every one of 9 USB ports (6 on the back which connect directly to the motherboard, 2 on the front, and 1 in a multi-card reader).  I found that 2 of the back ports work, but only in degraded usb 1.1 mode.  This is ironic, because in some of the tests, I disabled "legacy (1.1) USB support" in the BIOS.  No matter which BIOS setting I choose, those 2 ports will only function as a 1.1 port when connected to the Epic.  Those ports works correctly as 2.0 ports when connected to other devices.  Of the dozens of things I've tried (i.e. reinstallations, different drivers, bios settings, etc.), I can only get the Epic to work in 2 of the 9 ports, and then only in degraded 1.1 mode.
  6. I have now tried 5 other USB devices in all of my systems' ports, to try to narrow in whether the Epic is at fault, or whether my PC is at fault. The results are only somewhat conclusive.  The Epic has the worst USB connectivity across 4 different PCs (running various OS's and hardware).  The Epic will only connect in degraded USB 1.1 mode on some ports on some PC's.  The Epic will not connect at all to some USB ports on all PC's.  The Epic will connect correctly in USB 2.0 mode on some ports on some PC's.  Of all my USB devices, the Epic is the most finicky device I own for USB connectivity.
  7. My old Treo 800w has some similar challenges, but overall it connects correctly to more ports on more systems.
  8. My Sansa 800 mp3 player connects correctly to more ports on more systems
  9. My BB Bold (for work) connects flawlessly to all ports on all systems

A hardware engineer friend suggested that there may a USB pin voltage issue on the Epic, which is why it has more trouble connecting to more ports on more systems.  Either that, or there is a software driver incompatibility issue/bug between the driver running on the Epic and the driver running on Windows.

Sprint/Samsung, you clearly have a common issue here.  I can reproduce the "USB device not recognized" or "this device can run faster" error on every Windows system I have access to.  btw, my son's Epic has the exact same behavior across all these systems, so it is unlikely to be a hardware issue with my Epic.

I hope this issue gets attention from Samsung.  Although I have some USB connectivity with the Epic, it is poor at best.

Journeyman

Exactly right.  I went through the same process, uninstalling and reinstalling.  Then, reading this last post, I just tried plugging in to my powered USB hub instead of directly to my computer (a macbook running bootcamp).  It then came up fine.  These macbooks have weaker USB power-- that must have been it.  (ps, i was actually using the stock samsung cable, which is pretty long)

Journeyman

Could it be the USB wire causing problems?

Journeyman

Here is what worked for me on XP 32 bit.

Install the driver -Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_01.01.12_32_bit_4.1.0.msi

plug in Epic using a rear USB port.

Press  mount on Epic

Under  Start /control panel /system /hardware /device manager /

look for the yellow question mark thingy that says Samsung SPH-D700

right click /update driver and then install from specific location

click the check install from list or specific location (advanced)

paste --->  C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB Drivers\03_Swallowtail

or whatever drive letter Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_01.01.12_32_bit_4.1.0.msi installed to.

It should then work. I would guess Vista and 7 are similiar.

Sprint/Samsung I will gladly accept a check for a couple grand for doing your work for you. ~shakes head~  

Journeyman

@ imhuami

THANKS, your suggestion worked perfectly!!

Message was edited by: odricks

Journeyman

I have a MacBook Pro and when I first got this phone I plugged it in no problem. The phone mounted on my mac with zero issues.  Then sometime in October they released the update on the Epic after installing that.. I can't get my phone to mount at all.  I have been in touch with sprint service via phone, and in store as well as Samsung phone service.  They all want to give me the same crap "Debugging, restart, powered usb.....etc"  None of it is working.

I actually took my phone and MBP to a sprint store and they wanted to argue it was my computer.  They were able to mount my phone to their windows no problem.  Then I told them it was after the update in Oct but he still wanted to argue, untill I took my MBP over the floor model plugged it in and it worked perfectly.  I asked did you guys do the update and he said No.  I said see here is your problem... the answer i got was. "well.. hmm guess your just $h!t out of luck". 

Now is there anyone who has been able to get any better service than this? I've been trying to get this resovled since  Halloween. I left sprint 5 years ago because of their awful service.  We decided to give them another shot just for this phone. Starting to question that move.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat