cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX

Journeyman

Re: Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX

This does not work.  "The best driver software for your device is already installed - windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."  No other option to load the installed drivers.  Maybe I just need to get my phone exchanged, but that only means I will spend 50 dollars on another phone that may have the same problem.

Journeyman

Spent an hour on the phone with tech support.  They referred me to the sprint store, maybe cable issues.  30 minutes later, Sprint is ordering me a new phone. Will pick up tomorrow.  Guess it's an issue that just can't be resolved with downloads.

Journeyman

I was experiencing this same issue this morning, just received my phones yesterday. I was trying to move items off the SD card on the old phone to the new phone through the computer. Both phones were plugged into the front and it was as if only 1 at a time could register. As soon as I plugged the new Samsung into the USB port on my Keyboard life was good. So I don't know if it just needed an older USB port ot what the deal was. But I'm having no issues with it registering as a USB storage device plugged into the keyboard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I used to experience USB problems off and on.  However now I can say for sure that these problems are behind me.  If you are still having these issues, you may want to look at the following checklist to make sure none of these is causing you problems.  BTW, I do have to admit that the USB on Samsung Epic phone is quite finnicky.  However the problems can be overcome permanently after a little bit of work.

And here is the list.

1.  USB port on the phone appears to want more power than regular USB devices.  Do not use long USB cables or extensions.  Use the supplied USB cable.  If you have a shorter USB cable that might work too.  Also if you have a powered USB hub, try using that too.

2.  Use the Samsung Galaxy S drivers.

32-bit drivers: http://firon.net/xda/Samsung_Mobile_...00_Epic_4G.zip
64-bit drivers: http://firon.net/xda/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

3.  Make sure USB debugging is turned off. Settings -> Applications -> Development

4.  If the above don't do it.  Upgrade to official Android 2.2 for Epic.

http://briefmobile.com/how-to-update-sprint-epic-4g-to-android-2-2

I would be shocked, I say *shocked*, if somebody goes through all four above steps and still cannot get USB mount to work.

-Cheema

Journeyman

I've found that using a Blackberry cable (www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Cable-Micro-1-0m-Black/dp/B001QATRCA) solves this issue on my MBP. The OEM Samsung cable just isn't up to the task it seems. The Blackberry cable is more substantial with more shielding I suspect.

In general make sure you are using a cable that supports data transfer, a lot of the 3rd-party/after market cables are charging only across all platforms. You'll be installing and uninstalling all day.

Journeyman

Sometimes, on my DESKTOP my epic would mount WITH the Epic cable. Sometimes.

But I could never get it to mount on my NEW Dell Studio XPS16. VERY FRUSTRATING.

I went through all the steps that some of the people here have suggested ... except swapping the cable for another. I figured, "the provided cable *should* work."

Well ... after MUCH wasted time, I did just that ... I borrowed a much shorted cable from a Western Digital Passport Drive (~ 14" long). Plugged in. OMG!!!  It WORKED!!! That was all it took after all the driver uploads.

Kudos to all the brilliant people who preceded this message who figured it was a cable/power level issue.

Sprint, Get Samsung to provide you with a shorter cable and provide it to anyone who comes to a Sprint location with this problem free of charge.

~ Liz

Journeyman

I too recently ran into the problem where none of my PCs (XP or Windows 7) would recognize the phone when connecting to the USB port.  Since there have been many posts about ensuring that USB Debugging is disabled (my was) I tried the following and it WORKED!

1. On your phone, Enable USB debugging (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging) is ENABLED (yes enable it!)

2. Connect the phone to your PC via the USB cable

3. Your phone at this point should not display the options for Charging, Mass Storage, Tethered Mode

4. Disconnect the USB cable

5. Now disable USB debugging using the same steps in #1 above

6. Re-connect the phone to the PC via the USB cable

I hope this helps some folks out.

Journeyman

THIS IS THE SOLUTION PEOPLE:  I have an Epic 4G and could not transfer pics/videos from my phone to my computer.  It would stall out trying to transfer and I’d have to restart my computer.  I tried everything online with one exception.  YOU MUST USE THE USB CORD SUPPLIED WITH YOUR PHONE.  I read that somewhere but didn’t follow that advise because I thought all USB cables are the same.  So, yes, you have to have the correct drivers installed… if you’re not sure just go to the online chat support at Samsung and they’ll give the link for it.  Then use the Samsung supplied USB cable which you probably are currently using as a phone charger which means you have to pull the UBS cable out of the power adapter you plug into the wall and plug it into a free USB port on your computer.  This process worked for me once I realized I wasn’t using their USB cable.  Unfortunately, Samsung does not stress this point enough in their support documents or even in their live chat… I had to read it from another use. Good luck!

Journeyman

THIS IS THE SOLUTION PEOPLE:  I have an Epic 4G and could not transfer pics/videos from my phone to my computer.  It would stall out trying to transfer and I’d have to restart my computer.  I tried everything that was suggested online in forums with one exception: YOU MUST USE THE USB CORD SUPPLIED WITH YOUR PHONE.  I read that somewhere but didn’t follow that advice because I thought all USB cables are the same.  So, yes, you have to have the correct drivers installed… if you’re not sure just go to the online chat support at Samsung and they’ll give the link for it. And you must select “mass storage” and then do the “mount” thing according to the user’s guide but then you MUST use the Samsung supplied USB cable (which you probably are currently using as a phone charger which means you have to pull the UBS cable out of the power adapter you’ve plugged into the wall and plug it into a free USB port on your computer).  This process worked for me once I realized I wasn’t using their USB cable after months of being baffled.  Unfortunately, Samsung does not stress this point enough in their support documents or even in their live chat… I had to read it from another use.  I hope this helps and good luck!

Journeyman

Re: Mass Storage device undetected UPDATE FIX: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

THIS IS THE SOLUTION PEOPLE:  I have an Epic 4G and could not transfer pics/videos from my phone to my computer.  It would stall out trying to transfer and I’d have to restart my computer.  I tried everything that was suggested online in forums with one exception: YOU MUST USE THE USB CORD SUPPLIED WITH YOUR PHONE.  I read that somewhere but didn’t follow that advice because I thought all USB cables are the same.  So, yes, you have to have the correct drivers installed… if you’re not sure just go to the online chat support at Samsung and they’ll give the link for it. And you must select “mass storage” and then do the “mount” thing according to the user’s guide but then you MUST use the Samsung supplied USB cable (which you probably are currently using as a phone charger which means you have to pull the UBS cable out of the power adapter you’ve plugged into the wall and plug it into a free USB port on your computer).  This process worked for me once I realized I wasn’t using their USB cable after months of being baffled.  Unfortunately, Samsung does not stress this point enough in their support documents or even in their live chat… I had to read it from another use.  I hope this helps and good luck!

Journeyman

Hate to disagree with the last poster but the supplied cable does not work!  I used it exclusively, loaded all the recommended drivers ... nothing would allow me to connect to either of my computers UNTIL I used a shorter, SHIELDED USB cable (I used one that came with a WD Passport drive).  I can repeat these results consistently!  If you got the supplied cable to work, it's only because you plugged it into a powered USB port or because you are in a low-e environment around your computer.  Basically, your situation is rare and you got lucky.

Journeyman

Data cables at max are 18" to 24" long. The real good ones are normally around 6" long. If you are using a cable that is 4+ feet long and cant connect to the Epic the cable is most likely your problem. The data cable that was supplied with my Samsung moment is around 20" or so long and works just fine with my Epic as well.  The Moment came with a dedicated charger and separate data cable. They needed to do the same with the Epic.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat