cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Epic now has a (battery) life. again. at last.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The hard reset has indeed restored my Epic's battery life! That's the good news, which outweighs the bad by a considerable margin. My Froyo'd Epic has been on for 5 hours, and under normal use, it is still at 82% -- projecting out to 20 hours, which is what I was getting before.

There is an OTW flash to 2.2 on the Samsung website for Windlows users, but not for Mac. Instead, through their chat window, a Samsung tech guided me through a hard rest on top the OTA EC05 update already delivered to my phone.

Here's what you can expect afterwards (this is the bad news):

• Your Epic is now a 'new' mobile device, just like the day you brought it home
  • You will have to re-establish your connection to Google (and any other email you've been using)
  • I backed up all my messages with SMS Backup and Restore, and following the hard reset, my messages were indeed restored - but no longer sync'd to contact names.
  • All your apps need to be reinstalled. Android Market will remember your paid apps, but you are on your own with free ones
  • Your ringtone apps (Zedge, Ringroid, etc) will locate your previous downloads - but first you need to download something new. After it locates the orig folder, you're good to re-assign tones.

There is some good news - or at least I thought it was good.

• The useful features of Froyo are all there - and some are indeed useful.
  • The phone is zippy and responsive
  • Any apps that saved preferences to the SD card previously will remember  those preferences on reinstall. In my case, about half of them
  • Old unused apps (some, no doubt, incompatible with Froyo) are gone. Spring cleaning!
  • And, of course, the battery life. Makes me remember why I bought an Epic in the first place!

Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I am now at 12 hours, battery is at 50%....on heavier than normal use.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your update.  I haven't ever done a factory reset on the Epic. So would appreciate a little more guidance. 

Once I do the reset, will I need to find the OTW EC05 update (I am a Windows user)?

Or will it be delivered automatically OTA as if the phone has never been updated?

Is it useful to have the Samsung Tech involved or will this be straightforward?

Any other tips?

Thanks for the encouraging information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update file for OTW from windows is on the samsung website. here's an excerpt from an email i recieved from Sprint, earlier:

1. Go to www.samsung.com/us/.  Click “support”. Under mobile, click cell phones. You’ll be show a box  with three windows, in the second box, click Sprint Cell Phones. In the  third box, click SPH-D700 and then click select.
  2. Under “downloads” click “get downloads”. Click the link for software...

The OTA install, as flawed as it is, doesn't disturb your SD card. The OTW install, however, I know nothing about. If there are implications for the SD card regarding the OTW install, I don't know about them. Are you able to access the OTA? Either way, in the end, you will have a wiped phone. Back everything up, first!!

The Samsung Tech was very helpful and fully supportive, and based on my experience, will happily walk you through it step by step. It seems straightforward to me, but it was reassuring to have the tech available. In fact, given that I am not a Sprint or Samsung tech, I would highly recommend the Samsung tech guiding you via the chat window.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: My Epic now has a (battery) life. again. at last.

Can you double check that link for the EC05 OTW update.  I have been checking that same page everyday since they pulled the EB13 OTW update, so far (under software) I have only seen the

Win XP/Vista/Windows 7      Aug 31, 2010                 Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.1.0)            @ 9.5MB       shows up the same In Firefox4.0 or IE8.0 for me.

Message was edited by: RSPC

Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like it might have been pulled.... a tacit acknowledgement that there really is a problem.

For the record: no one either at Sprint or Samsung has denied to me there were problems with the OTA install - I have been dealt with candidly at three points of contact. It makes it so much easier to deal with the problem, and it makes me feel better about the companies i'm dealing with.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I try to steer clear when I hear OTA or Update, they just mean trouble.

It may be a hassle but wiping a device even 2 or 3 times before doing a clean install will Always give you much better results, and in the long run actually much less of a hassle. There is nothing left over from old software to mess up the new. I'm personally still on EB13 that I did myself with the  OTW SWUdate tool from Samsung and the only problem I have had was the low light lag with the camera app, found a fix for that and I have no problems what so ever with what I use the phone for. 

FYI I use Astro file manager FREE to back up all my apps synced my contacts with Google and just copied my whole SD card to a new folder on my PC All in all took less than 30 min to get my contacts and 106apps back(apps were 1 at a time about as fast as you can tap on the icons) Naturally it was about a week before I had everything set just the way I wanted, but that's to be expected.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info...how did you reach the Samsung Tech. Initially I tried to reach Sprint...and after 80 minutes on hold (while I worked on my computer) I was disconnected!

How did you get the ECO5 OTA after you did the hard reset?

I know last week, I finally got the EC05 OTA to update from EB13 after I did was recommended here...download a few apps.

My only problem (that I've discovered) is the signficant change in the battery life.

Thanks for the additional info....

Highlighted
Journeyman

So for the record, I called Customer Service to do the hard reset.  I ended up talking to 2 different people and neither one were aware that there was a problem with the EC05 update - or an issue with battery life.

It took several different attempts to get the reset to "take" - Several times I got the message that the phone could not activate.  Then we went and re-entered the phone number in two locations - did that 3 times....... and tried 3 times to do a profile update - that didn't ever end up going through -

But somehow the phone is working - so we'll see how the battery life is once I get it all set back up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My contact sync misfire is SMS only - as i had long ago uncoupled phone contacts from gmail. For various and sundry reasons, i was having sms threading problems with key people on multiple accounts when the gmail and phone contacts were coupled. I diodn't lose any SMS's - they just aren't linked to the phone-only contacts anymore by name ('John Smith'), only by number ('5552229876'). Everything else is fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Ful5hand: i reached Samsung via the chat window on the software download page for the Epic (SPH-D700). There is a live chat support link off to the right. Note: you already have to have EC05 on your phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let us know about battery improvement.  And how did you ultimately get the phone updated to EC05 after the reset?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Ful5hand: EC05 already needs to be present on your phone, either via OTA (which is how i got into this fix in the first place) or via download from a site that may have a copy (xda-developers, for example). Battery life is back to normal...i'm projecting to 20 hours, which is what I used to experience previously. I'm at 15 hours since unplugging it this morning, and it still has 27% juice after a day of heavier-than-usual use.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat