cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New upgrade and issues with battery life

Journeyman

Got upgraded today and I've gone through two full batteries in 12 hrs.  While I had to plug in my phone nightly at least my battery tended to last all day before.  Any ideas/suggestions on what I need to do to correct?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: New upgrade and issues with battery life

My partner and I are having the same issue. Our cell signal has dropped down to 1 or 2 bars as well and there's a Sprint tower literally next door to us. According to the phone it spent 73% of 6 hours without a signal. I think that's what is killing the batteries. We've had the Epic for a year now and the loss in battery life and cell signal started right after the gingerbread upgrade. We're calling Sprint tomorrow.

OK, so now it's getting worse. My wife's Epic is warning her that is is roaming. Did Sprint lose it's towerson the San Mateo Coast or is this all a gingerbread thing?

I ran a test last night and left my Epic unplugged after fully charging it, then put it on Airplane mode 6 hours later The battery was still fully charged. I put it back on phone standby and without even using it the battery was already only at 75%. additionally in 3 hours time the phone was without a signal 20% of the time. I did not have this problem before the upgrade.

UPDATE: well, after numerous calls and escallations with Sprint, it turned out that the cell tower in our area was completely down. It took them about 3 days to get it fixed, but my battry life is more or less back to normal.

Message was edited by: karmarecycles

Journeyman

My wife and I are experiencing horrible battery life also.  We checked our battery usage and I had 73% of it used by Android Services.  Something is definately wrong.  Sprint Customer Service isn't aware of the issue and wants to send us to a repair site to have to rolled back to Froyo.  I may end up doing that.

If anyone has a fix, please let me know.

The battery usage screen has changed in 2.3. Android System will almost always be the highest usage (because it is ALWAYS doing something). I haven't noticed much of a difference in battery life between Froyo or Gingerbread. Still getting 12-14 hours on a charge with moderate usage.

You can't "roll back" to Froyo. In order to do that they will wipe your phone and you will start over from scratch. Also, every time you unlock your phone you will be prompted to upgrade to Gingerbread. You can tell it "later" but then next time you unlock your phone it will ask again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same battery life problem. Before update, I would go a whole day without the need to charge, and now I am going through two batteries a day. I have checked all my settings to make sure they are the same as before and even turned my screen brightness to the lowest level. I do have an Airave, so a weak signal is not causing the power usage.

Journeyman

Experiencing the same things as other posters. Poor battery life, no signal in areas I never have trouble with. Signal improves after turning it off then back on. Battery is gone in about an hour if I'm online. Talking and just sitting I get less than a day. Other than that I'm not having troubles after the update. The battery thing is really inconvienient

Journeyman

I have 65% percent of my battery being spent on Android System things as well. It can just sit on my desk all day and not be touched and the battery life is horrid. I can't make it last 6 hours sometimes. Two days ago, it literally lasted 2 hours and it was solely on standby. I never even lit the screen to check the time after unplugging the charger.

Since the update it loves to freeze on the low battery screen. No matter what I push, it does nothing. I cant slick okay to charge. I can't hit power and turn off the screen or the phone. It just locks itself up displaying the low battery warning.

as far as signal, I am constantly being told by apps to switch to wifi because my system connection is not adequate.  WTHeck!?  isn't that what I am paying you for??

Journeyman

I may have solved my battery issue.  The issue for me appeared to be the SNS Service.  I've forced stop the service by going to Menu/Settings/Application/Manage Applications/running and my battery issues have gone away.  I make sure I kill this service whenever I'm done checking Facebook and before I go to bed.  I now get over a day of battery life with moderate use.  I was only getting about 8 hrs with moderate usage and it would almost drain completely overnight..  My battery made it through the whole weekend on a single charge although I wasn't on it much.

I also have ESPN Fantasy Football on my phone.  Just force stopping the app did not prevent it from receiving scoring updates on my phone which would kill the battery on Sunday afternoons.  I now do a Clear Data for the app when I'm done using it which keeps the phone from receiving scoring notifications.  Yes, I have to manually sign in when I want to use it again.

SNS Services appears to be the main culprit though.  I saw other people stating that as a battery drain issue on the SamsungGalaxySForum.  I am not receing any SNS Restarting message as some of those users stated.

Good luck.

Journeyman

Is there a good website or forum where users give tips, suggested apps, and explain running processes of the Epic.  For instance, PALBR2115 gave a good tip, but I don't know what  "SNS Service" is.  I see a lot of running services that I'd love to stop, but don't know if doing so would prevent me from receiving calls, texts, etc..   Sprint has Epic help sections on their website, but nothing dedicated to helping users understand the intricacies of the EPIC and how to customize it to a particular useage configuration. 

Journeyman

Same boat here, glad to see it isn't just me.  Very frustrating, used to last all day without issues, now I cant make it a half day even if I dont use it.  Noticed this mainly at work, where I stash it away in my desk for emergencies only.  Worked great before Gingercrap, after Gingercrap the phone is borderline worthless.  Cant use it unless I have 3 back up batteries around or leave it plugged into a wall all day long.  Thanks Samsung and Sprint for mucking up a great phone.

Probably has to do with new user privacy invasion tactics by Samsung and their accomplice Sprint, have a read...

http://gizmodo.com/5863849/your-android-phone-is-secretly-recording-everything-you-do?autoplay

Samsung and Sprint are secretly recording every single keystroke, illegally mind you, that any Android user does on their phones.  Disgusting. Illegal. Immoral. Filing BBB claim today against them for invasion of privacy and fraud.  Eliminate my opt out fee and going elsewhere, cant trust Sprint.

That software has been on the phone for a long time, before Gingerbread. And while it has the capability to do all that, it has been determined by several people that most of those settings are off. Sprint isn't the only one doing it either.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat