Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound

Highlighted
Journeyman

No sound

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my Samsung Epic 4G.  My phone is no longer playing any sound.  The volume is all the way up and it is not on silent.  It is like the phone is stuck on vibrate all the time.

It does not ring when a call comes in.

It does not chime when a text comes in.

Media volume will not play.

Alarms will not play any sound. (Late for work because of it when I discovered the problem)

If I plug in headphones to my phone I can hear all the noises I should be.

I guess the big question is.  Is this a hardware problem?  Or is there some sort of setting that I have missed that I might have accidently flipped?

Thanks!

Isaac

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

No sound

Hi,

Have you checked in the sounds settings menu? Make sure you have the latest software version installed? And turn the phone off and on?

Thank you,

----George

Journeyman

No sound

I checked all the sound settings.  All the volumes are Maxed out.  I also have play audiable touchtones enabled just to try to get some sounds.  No luck

I went to check for system updates and there were no updates Firmware, Profile, PRL or Android.  I have powercycled multiple times now and took the battery out and put it back in just for good measure.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Hopefully we can find something out soon!

Isaac

Wizard

No sound

Hi,

I would recommend you visiting a Service & Repair location www.sprint.com/storelocator?ECID=SM:BW:20110907:STORELOCATOR.

Thank you,

----George

Journeyman

No sound

I had this same issue the other day... REALLY ANNOYING!!! This is definitely a bug.

This is how mine happened:

I was watching a movie on Netflix with the headset plugged in. I received a call, answered it and removed the headset (since the headset didn't have a microphone). After that, the phone still thought a headset was plugged in no matter what I did and no sounds would play except through the headset jack.

Try these two things:

1. Remove the battery and leave it for a few minutes before turning it back on. That probably won't work, but it's worth a try.

2. This is the one I think fixed it for me. I turned on my bluetooth, connected it to my bluetooth headset, then when I was in the middle of a call, I turned off the bluetooth and everything worked again. Once the bluetooth turned off, the voice began coming out of the earpiece of the phone and all of the sounds worked again.

Let me know if this works.

Journeyman

No sound

I left the battery out over night and put it back in the morning. 

I don't have a bluetooth headset,  I did mess around with the blue tooth settings a bit still no luck.

Thank you for the advice though!

I got some advice from a friend that said sometimes bad apps can cause problems like this.  Backing up my contacts now and reseting to defaults.  I'll check back in when I am done and give an update.

Isaac

Journeyman

No sound

The exact same thing happened to me and I haven't been able to get the audio to come through the ear piece again.

I was listening to music and a call came through. I answered it and then removed the headphones since they didn't have a Mic and ever since I have had no sound through the earpiece. I've been having to use speaker phone.

Journeyman

No sound

The same thing just happened to me. I was actually in the middle of a confernce call which I had on speaker phone and it suddenly went out. I haven't had any sound since then (about 8 hours now), although I have tried everything mentioned above, including the blue tooth trick above, which didn't work for me.  I can hear if I put the phone to my ear, and blue tooth works, but it is as if the speaker for the speaker phone, music, apps, etc. stopped working.  It doesn't seem reasonable for it to have gone bad already - I've only had the phone a few months.

Journeyman

No sound

I believe the problem has to do with the A2DP technology.  I used to have a non- A2DP Jawbone bluetooth and everything worked fine.  Then, about 3 months ago I got a new Jawbone that is equiped with the A2DP technology.  Once I paired it the phone, it worked fine for about a week.  Then, when I turned of the bluetooth the sound would continue to go through the earpiece speaker on my epic (internal) rather that the back speaker (external).  I was finally able to correct this about a 3 days ago by turning off the A2DP setting on my bluetooth, not the phone.  To do this I had to download an application for my bluetooth that allowed me to change the internal settings and turn off the A2DP.  I have never had it turn off or on in the middle of a call. Mine was always when I turned the bluetooth off.  Then I would have to remove the battery while the phone was on (a hard stop) and restart it to correct the speakers.  Very frustrating.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat