Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not updating Android to Froyo as promised 2 days ago

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not updating Android to Froyo as promised 2 days ago

Supposedly, the update for the Samsung Epic 4G went out two days ago (3/21/2011) but as of yet, my phone has not updated or even suggested that I do so.  This would not be a problem if I could do so manually.  I have tried, using Settings -> About phone -> System Updates -> Update Android.  It seems like this action doesn't even check anywhere to find an update.  It immediately returns the message "Your system is currently up to date."

Must I take this in to a Sprint shop to fix this issue, or is it time to root this device and do it all myself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

From the Press Release:

"All existing Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab owners will be  prompted this week to accept the over-the-air software update in their  device's notification tab. Once the update is installed, the user can  find the Sprint ID icon in their Applications Menu and begin  experiencing Sprint ID. All users should have access to this new  software update by March 24.

The software update for Samsung Epic 4G will also include the Android  2.2 (Froyo) operating system update. This update will add numerous  capabilities, including Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and  allows app installation to external storage."

Only thing it states is my Marth 24th you should have the new software...I'm just glad we are getting a software update.. this is a gift or additional service provied to you by sprint/samsung.. id just be glad we are getting one at all.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

From the Press Release:

"All existing Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab owners will be  prompted this week to accept the over-the-air software update in their  device's notification tab. Once the update is installed, the user can  find the Sprint ID icon in their Applications Menu and begin  experiencing Sprint ID. All users should have access to this new  software update by March 24.

The software update for Samsung Epic 4G will also include the Android  2.2 (Froyo) operating system update. This update will add numerous  capabilities, including Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and  allows app installation to external storage."

Only thing it states is my Marth 24th you should have the new software...I'm just glad we are getting a software update.. this is a gift or additional service provied to you by sprint/samsung.. id just be glad we are getting one at all.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to some posts in other threads the Update has already started. I guess you have to wait until it rolls into your area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for finding the press release info for me.  I searched repeatedly on Google and Sprint to find this, so Sprint didn't exactly go out of their way to let us know they were doing this.  I assume this has something to do with the utter failure of their previous attempt at updating Android for this device a while back. Possibly also the fact that even for that failed release, they were miserably behind the competition as far as maintaining current software for their devices.  Perhaps I am conplaining to Sprint about a Samsung issue, but Sprint is the company organizing the update pushes.

Highlighted
Wizard

For future reference, all maintenance releases are posted as a new discussion and on the device's maintenance release blog.  Here are the links to those posts for the Epic:

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Highlighted
Wizard

Since the rollout appears to have been slower than expected, at least to start, is the March 24 end date still true?  Because that's tomorrow, and with the apparently large number of people still waiting for an update, somehow I don't see us all getting updates in 1 day.  Please let us know if the rollout is going to take longer than originally expected, and if so what the new end date is.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Wizard

The end date hasn't changed, but I agree with you that it seems like there's a lot of devices still to be updated.  If I hear anything different, I'll update the maintenance release post right away. 

Highlighted
Wizard

OK, thanks.  I hope I'll get the update tomorrow then.  Unfortunately, my phone's been acting up tonight, apparently getting stuck on trying to sync with Google and possibly causing other issues at the same time (my launcher seems to be crashing sometimes).  I've tried working around this, but nothing seems to be helping.  While it would be annoying at any time, it's more so right now because I know an update's coming soon and wany my phone to be ready for it.  I just pulled my battery for 5 minutes to clear things out, put it back in, reboot, plugged in the phone to charge, and almost immediately the sync icon came up again.  I'm going to bed now.  Maybe the phone will work out whatever it's trying to do overnight and be back to normal tomorrow morning (*fingers crossed*).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I still haven't recieved the update either, in fact I called Sprint yesterday because my phone has been having problems just updating my profile. I mentioned if I can't even do this how is it possible to do the update! She didn't have any knowledge that there was an update coming out and she checked with her supervisor about it and told me that there was an update coming out but there was no date for it. I told her about the information on Sprint news and she said she wasn't given any dates for the update that it will be out but no date. I think this is very odd! Needless to say they will be sending me a new phone cause of all the problems and after several trys in fixing it it still doesn't work properly.

Highlighted
Wizard

There's an issue updating profiles with the Samsung Transform that you may also be experiencing.  This should not impact the ability to receive the EC05 update.  All devices on EB13 or DI18 should receive a notification on their device today indicating that the update is ready to be installed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's March 24th I have not received the update what's really going on?

Highlighted
Wizard

Same here, although it is only mid-day and an update could come later.  I am getting anxious though.  Why can't we just get an update.zip file to manually apply, like last time?  And I mean for EB13; I know there's one for DI18 out already.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat