Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not updating Android to Froyo as promised 2 days ago

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not updating Android to Froyo as promised 2 days ago

Supposedly, the update for the Samsung Epic 4G went out two days ago (3/21/2011) but as of yet, my phone has not updated or even suggested that I do so.  This would not be a problem if I could do so manually.  I have tried, using Settings -> About phone -> System Updates -> Update Android.  It seems like this action doesn't even check anywhere to find an update.  It immediately returns the message "Your system is currently up to date."

Must I take this in to a Sprint shop to fix this issue, or is it time to root this device and do it all myself?

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, I finally got the OTA push for Froyo this morning.  Everything worked out well enough for the download and install.

Unfortunately, I decided to check out Sprint ID to see what it was all about.  I'm sure it's great if you haven't already used android and the available tweaker applications available.  So, I didn't like any of the existing IDs and I wanted to go back...  No dice!

Somewhere in this update, Menu -> Preferences disappeared.  Now I can't get my absolute favorite app back up and running: Launcher Pro.  Thanks Sprint, for making my super-cool phone just mediocre again.

Pleeeaaassseee, put the damned preferences menu item back in or tell me how to get to it.  Seriously, what were you thinking?

Highlighted
Journeyman

There are ZERO reports of anyone with a  EB13 getting this update.  Here is your notification that we are not  getting this update.

Sprint has utterly failed. They gave false information on their original post and they continue, now, to give no accurate information.  Folks, Sprint knows EXACTLY what is going on and WHY we have not received our updates yet.  If they don't, then they are more clueless than I already understand them to be. 

Sprint was/is in a position to appeal to folks who don't like the arrogance and hassles with Verizon and ATT.  They blew their chance to get the other somewhat progressive company known as T-mobile.  Sprint is also blowing it BIG TIME with these last TWO updates.  Epic people are the core customers of Sprint.  They are the people that Sprint targets.  Not Evo people.  Epic is the Sprint flagship.  And Sprint is making believers into haters.  wow!

We,  will NOT take these phones to the store and get them flashed to  original.  We will NOT.   This entire debactle IS grounds for a contract  violation by Sprint and, thus, a waived of the Early Termination Fee.  

As noted by me and several other people yesterday:  Sprint  PULLED this update.  By that, it seems to mean they pulled the EB13 part  of the update.  DB18 people seem to be getting their update..but still  not before the end of 3/24.

Funny how the main Sprint folks on these discussion have disappeared today.  Crickets.  Crickets.

Highlighted
Wizard

All communication on the MR is being posted in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/64944?tstart=0

Master

KBAUM17 wrote:

There are ZERO reports of anyone with a  EB13 getting this update.  Here is your notification that we are not  getting this update.

Sprint has utterly failed. They gave false information on their original post and they continue, now, to give no accurate information.  Folks, Sprint knows EXACTLY what is going on and WHY we have not received our updates yet.  If they don't, then they are more clueless than I already understand them to be. 

Sprint was/is in a position to appeal to folks who don't like the arrogance and hassles with Verizon and ATT.  They blew their chance to get the other somewhat progressive company known as T-mobile.  Sprint is blowing it BIG TIME with these last TWO updates.  Epic people are they core people of Sprint.  Not Evo people.  Epic is the Sprint flagship.  And Sprint is taking believers into haters.  wow!

We,  will NOT take these phones to the store and get them flashed to  original.  We will NOT.   This entire debactle IS grounds for a contract  violation by Sprint and, thus, a waived of the Early Termination Fee.  

As noted by me and several other people yesterday:  Sprint  PULLED this update.  By that, it seems to mean they pulled the EB13 part  of the update.  DB18 people seem to be getting their update..but still  not before the end of 3/24.

Funny how the main Sprint folks on these discussion have disappeared today.  Crickets.  Crickets.

Except you are incorrect. There has been communication, just not in every single thread about the update. The main post of the EC05 official release announcement thread was updated earlier today saying that Google is starting the push to EB13 devices today.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sounds like your're simply launching into touchwiz instead of LauncherPro. The preferences option is actually added by the LauncherPro app, so unless your running it the option isn't there. You can download an app called Home Switcher that lets you switch launchers. You can also go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > TwLauncher and click 'Clear defaults'. Then the next time you hit the home button it will ask if you want TouchWiz or LauncherPro. I hope this helps

Highlighted
Wizard

That's good, but it took quite a while today for that information to appear.  I saw nothing official this morning, when the push was supposed to be done and my phone still didn't have the update.  I guess you give out info when you get it, but it would have been nice to have it earlier, becase it looked like a bunch of people were here early today (like me) looking for info and not getting it.

Likewise, all previous information said that 100% of DI18 and EB13 users would be updated by yesterday.  It really would have been better if the information about EB13 being delayed came out before the end of that 4-day rollout period, instead of after we were all supposed to be updated.  I find it hard to believe that nobody knew EB13 was delayed until mid-day today, and was unable to tell us officially yesterday that our update would be held up.  Again, quicker release of information woiuld have been appreciated -- prompt, accurate, official communication is key here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Verizon and AT&T are great companies if you like your personal information like text messages, emails and conversations misused by the government. Sprint doesn't play "Fascist Favorite." Welcome to fairness folks. 

Back to the subject: Everybody can wait like lemmings for the update OTA or learn to help yourself by learning something about minor software programming.

-Make sure that the contacts have been saved to SD card

-Make sure you have downloaded and stored Froyo to your phone and card (redundancy doesn't hurt)

-Make sure that you have wiped clean the memory of the phone.

-Make sure that you have made a list of apps that you have installed onto the phone because you will need to re-install.

-Enjoy the satisfaction that, after your phone works, you will have the next to latest version of Android. The only Gingerbread I want is the kind I can eat. Oh and

-Quit tripping 😉

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat